Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Looking for a great sounding exhaust (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/looking-great-sounding-exhaust-218896/)

Robert Bradshaw 06-09-2019 02:06 AM

Looking for a great sounding exhaust

Hi all , I currently have the standard quad pipe exhaust system on my 2010 5ltr supercharged XKr is there a better sounding exhaust system available that doesn’t involve swapping the entire system that gives a louder throaty sound? Thanks bob

henry crun 06-11-2019 01:23 AM

Don't know if this is possible on quad exhaust XKR's, but I found that the best way to release the V8 throb on my V8 XJ Sovereign, XJR and Super V8 cars was to remove the front (common) muffler to separate the V8 exhaust beats. The rear mufflers can then be removed to increase volume if required. I found that increasing pipe diameter had little effect on sound.
This inexpensive mod produces a satisfying muscle car throb on acceleration, without excessive drone on cruise.

jeffu 06-17-2019 09:59 PM

henry crun - are you a talking about the muffler I have circled in red? Sorry for the 2 stitched photos. This is the under belly of my 2010 XKR I took today.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...4536eec9d5.jpg

henry crun 06-18-2019 04:07 PM

Yes - that's it.
This front box is not really a muffler. It is more of a resonator with 2 straight through perforated pipes inside a common cover filled with sound absorbing material. It has zero effect on performance, but acts as a crossover (e.g. H pipe) to blend the two exhaust pulses for acoustic 'smoothness'. This blending produces the traditional Jag 'growl' to emulate the original British 6 cylinder Jag sound.

If you prefer the V8 throb, replace this box with 2 straight pipes. For increased volume, remove (or replace with straight pipe) 2 of the rear boxes (which are true mufflers) unless your car has bi-modal exhaust valve system).

Despite what some other posts claim, the AJ V8's have the typical 90 degree cross-plane crankshaft and firing order so they sound the same as any other cross-plane V8 with an unrestricted exhaust. This cross-plane crank and firing order configuration produces the distinctive 'throb' because of the exhaust valve opening 'overlap' of the rear 2 cylinders of each bank. I.e. exhaust valves of the 2 rear cylinders are open simultaneously for a brief period, which produces a relatively larger exhaust pulse into the exhaust manifold, which alternates from bank to bank. The front exhaust resonator is designed to blend these pulses and smooth the throb.

Reverend Sam 07-05-2019 07:35 PM

Fixed it.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b22eb143de.jpg

GGG 07-06-2019 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Bradshaw (Post 2082466)
Hi all , .....

Welcome to the forums Robert,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X150 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

mosesbotbol 07-06-2019 08:27 AM

If you "want the best", Larini considered top shelf for any marque they make an exhaust for. There are a few British manufacturers that you should consider too.

jagtoes 07-06-2019 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Bradshaw (Post 2082466)
Hi all , I currently have the standard quad pipe exhaust system on my 2010 5ltr supercharged XKr is there a better sounding exhaust system available that doesn’t involve swapping the entire system that gives a louder throaty sound? Thanks bob

It all comes down to what is your budget and what kind of sound are you looking for. There are different sound clips on this form as well as on youtube. Start by looking at these to see what fits your needs. Also instead of hacking up your existing exhaust just go to a good muffler shop and have new pipes made up. I would suggest the 1st phase would be to remove both of the center silencers. You can replace with 2 straight pipes and then pull fuse 19 for the valves in the back box. If still not happy you can have an X pipe installed and the next step would be an aftermarket cat back system.

Cee Jay 07-06-2019 10:21 AM

LOTS of XKR guys do what Henry Crun suggested; remove the resonator section and have two straight pipes with an "X" crossover installed. If it's done competently, you still have the entire center section you can replace if you ever want to go back. Total cost to have a muffler shop do this is like $200-250, compared to the multiple-thousands that a new system would cost.

Plus..... you DID remove fuse 19 from between the rear seats, RIGHT??????

jeffu 07-07-2019 12:07 PM

Nice touch to my pictures Reverend Sam! Looks a lot better!!

Robert Bradshaw 07-07-2019 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2094855)
LOTS of XKR guys do what Henry Crun suggested; remove the resonator section and have two straight pipes with an "X" crossover installed. If it's done competently, you still have the entire center section you can replace if you ever want to go back. Total cost to have a muffler shop do this is like $200-250, compared to the multiple-thousands that a new system would cost.

Thanks for the great information I’ll look into this and yes I removed a fuse although I cannot remember the number

Billieg 08-24-2019 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2094855)

How do you find that fuse?

Cee Jay 08-24-2019 09:20 PM

Fuse panel behind the rear seats, between them. Pull up, then out, then up again on the center back section and it'll come off eventually. The fuses are numbered so it's easy to find. That fuse controls the vacuum which holds the secondary pipes closed, so therefore OPEN all the time.

Sovejag13190 08-25-2019 01:53 AM

Hi i think that i'm going make this on my xkr 2007 :
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...2e603664af.jpg

guy 08-26-2019 07:39 AM

Face the music: catalytic converters do become less efficient over time.

Want an improved sound too: Just replace your cats with 200 cell cats. remove fuse 19 and live with it for a week. Then tell me what you think.
Consider the x-pipe AFTER this suggested change.

FWIW

Billieg 08-26-2019 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by guy (Post 2118083)
Face the music: catalytic converters do become less efficient over time.

Want an improved sound too: Just replace your cats with 200 cell cats. remove fuse 19 and live with it for a week. Then tell me what you think.
Consider the x-pipe AFTER this suggested change.

FWIW

Thanks, I'll try that. So the #19 fuse is it behind the rear seat so you have to take the seat out?

Cee Jay 08-26-2019 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2117569)
Fuse panel behind the rear seats, between them. Pull up, then out, then up again on the center back section and it'll come off eventually. The fuses are numbered so it's easy to find. That fuse controls the vacuum which holds the secondary pipes closed, so therefore OPEN all the time.

Originally Posted by Billieg (Post 2118188)
Thanks, I'll try that. So the #19 fuse is it behind the rear seat so you have to take the seat out?

Post 13?

Sheesh, sometimes I wonder why I post useful information

Billieg 08-26-2019 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2118189)
Post 13?

Sheesh, sometimes I wonder why I post useful information

I'm sorry but it wasn't clear if the fuse was behind the rear seat or if it was in the trunk behind the rear seat. Why would Jaguar place a fuse box behind the rear seat where it's hard to get to?

Cambo 08-26-2019 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Billieg (Post 2118258)
I'm sorry but it wasn't clear if the fuse was behind the rear seat or if it was in the trunk behind the rear seat. Why would Jaguar place a fuse box behind the rear seat where it's hard to get to?

You say you have a 2006 XK8.

A 2006 XK8 is the model X100, looks like this;
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...8fdf10e3fa.jpg

You are posting questions in the X150 forum, an X150 looks like this;
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...613d6e4475.jpg

They are totally different cars. There is almost no shared parts or technology between these two models.

The exhaust layout is totally different.

There is no "fuse 19" in an X100, because they did not have an active exhaust.

Please go to the X100 subforum ==>> https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/

You will find very little information here in the X150 subforum which is applicable to your X100.

pwpacp 08-26-2019 04:42 PM

Post delete....wrong MY.