General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Looking for a great sounding exhaust

Old 06-09-2019, 02:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a great sounding exhaust

Hi all , I currently have the standard quad pipe exhaust system on my 2010 5ltr supercharged XKr is there a better sounding exhaust system available that doesn’t involve swapping the entire system that gives a louder throaty sound? Thanks bob

Old 06-11-2019, 01:23 AM
Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't know if this is possible on quad exhaust XKR's, but I found that the best way to release the V8 throb on my V8 XJ Sovereign, XJR and Super V8 cars was to remove the front (common) muffler to separate the V8 exhaust beats. The rear mufflers can then be removed to increase volume if required. I found that increasing pipe diameter had little effect on sound.
This inexpensive mod produces a satisfying muscle car throb on acceleration, without excessive drone on cruise.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

henry crun - are you a talking about the muffler I have circled in red? Sorry for the 2 stitched photos. This is the under belly of my 2010 XKR I took today.

Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM
Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes - that's it.
This front box is not really a muffler. It is more of a resonator with 2 straight through perforated pipes inside a common cover filled with sound absorbing material. It has zero effect on performance, but acts as a crossover (e.g. H pipe) to blend the two exhaust pulses for acoustic 'smoothness'. This blending produces the traditional Jag 'growl' to emulate the original British 6 cylinder Jag sound.

If you prefer the V8 throb, replace this box with 2 straight pipes. For increased volume, remove (or replace with straight pipe) 2 of the rear boxes (which are true mufflers) unless your car has bi-modal exhaust valve system).

Despite what some other posts claim, the AJ V8's have the typical 90 degree cross-plane crankshaft and firing order so they sound the same as any other cross-plane V8 with an unrestricted exhaust. This cross-plane crank and firing order configuration produces the distinctive 'throb' because of the exhaust valve opening 'overlap' of the rear 2 cylinders of each bank. I.e. exhaust valves of the 2 rear cylinders are open simultaneously for a brief period, which produces a relatively larger exhaust pulse into the exhaust manifold, which alternates from bank to bank. The front exhaust resonator is designed to blend these pulses and smooth the throb.