Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Sat Nav - is yours useless too? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/sat-nav-yours-useless-too-191736/)

Mijas 11-04-2017 04:54 PM

Sat Nav - is yours useless too?

On the drive from Freiburg to south of Spain I stopped juts north of Valencia. Started again around 9 and headed out on the A7. So far so normal. I followed the instructions on the sat nav which initially seemed OK. I knew I had to pass Murcia so followed instructions from the sat nav when it told me to turn towards Murcia. But. there's always a but. After about 30 minutes I found that the sun was no longer to my left/front but was behind me and signs for Madrid started to appear. So I pulled off the motorway, found a petrol station and stopped to check the sat nav. It was definitely taking me north. So I put the destination in again - this time I put Marbella in case it had decided that there was another Mijas up north somewhere. But then instead of giving me an instruction - which way should I turn from the petrol station - it just said "Follow the map" The map is too small - I didn't know which direction I was facing and which way to go - so I guessed, rightly as it turns out.

But this sat nav is dreadful. It gets confused by streets close together and the instructions often bear little relation to the road I am on. It seemed on occasion to be 50m out. My tom Tom Go is very very much better.

Has anyone else experienced similar? Oh and it cannot find my house either. Or even the area I live in.

GGG 11-04-2017 06:54 PM

I've moved your post from Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Centre to General Tech Help forum.

The Feedback & Suggestion Centre is for posts about the forum, NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS.

Graham

mrsclark 11-08-2017 03:18 PM

Yes, last night I was trying to find a location in my home town. It was dark and I couldn't see building numbers so I tried nav for the first time. I had a hell of a time getting it to give me the right street, it kept trying to send me way out of town. Finally getting the right location, as I am driving it tells me to turn left in half a mile, but it doesn't give a street name to turn on. Maybe I am just spoiled by Google Maps and have to learn the ins and outs of this system.

JagV8 11-09-2017 01:37 AM

8+ year old maps vs google?

Mijas 11-09-2017 01:42 AM

I thought that at first. But the Urb. I live in is nearly 30 years old. And it is there on Google. The satnav is incredibly vague - it is unclear about directions, particularly when two roads are close - or when diverging off a main road (ie not at a junction as such but like you leave a motorway) - and it never tells you which direction to go in as soon as you start. Never.

JagV8 11-09-2017 10:11 AM

Sounds odd (the Navteq ones on my STR are actually older than yours but sound much better).

mrsclark 11-09-2017 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mijas (Post 1789844)
I thought that at first. But the Urb. I live in is nearly 30 years old. And it is there on Google. The satnav is incredibly vague - it is unclear about directions, particularly when two roads are close - or when diverging off a main road (ie not at a junction as such but like you leave a motorway) - and it never tells you which direction to go in as soon as you start. Never.

Yes, mine just said something to the affect of - go to the starting point. Um, how about you start where I am!

Mijas 11-09-2017 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by mrsclark (Post 1790084)
Yes, mine just said something to the affect of - go to the starting point. Um, how about you start where I am!

Exactly.

Norri 11-09-2017 11:17 AM

My XK8 maps are ancient too but work pretty well most of the time.