I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car and Driver "iPace Most Complete EV in market"

Old 06-20-2018, 03:45 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Car and Driver "iPace Most Complete EV in market"

Very positive review from Car and Driver, not that there weren't some early car issues (glad they were released to Europe first to work the initial run bugs out) but compared to the issues with the early Tesla cars (the X in particular was a nightmare) the iPace is relatively clean. Bigger issue is the lack of a charging network which remains problematic for the class if you want to drive one of these distance. (Low speed chargers are pretty prevalent but you really need a high speed charger and the iPace won't use Tesla superchargers). Can hardly wait till my car arrives in October. Here is the article: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ws&date=062018

The following users liked this post:
Misujerr (08-08-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I'm looking forward seeing your comments and to driving one myself. Really what interests me is how these cars will do in the twisties without gears. I think what makes the current Jags so good to drive (sorry E Pace but I'm not talking about you) is the steering and the gearing and how you can drive them around corners and bends using the gears and engine braking. The absence of being able to control that through paddles is something that I'd be concerned about although reviewers tend to suggest that this car corners really well despite all of the mass.

Ultimately though if it is a great car to drive like the F Type or the XE, I could see one in the family.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:04 AM

So far the reviews on handling have been good, and it has done better on the track than Tesla. The Tesla cars tend to overheat and go into limp home mode on a road track. Still the battery pack is heavy and folks report they can feel the weight so we'll see. I have a lot of cars and think that if I want to do spirited mountain driving I'll likely take one of my cars that is designed for that. But I'll certainly put it through the paces and post. My closest track is a couple hours away so I doubt I'll track it but we'll see.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:21 AM

Found a video of an iPace Track review, it is monitored (Jaguar company rep in the passenger seat) but, on the track, it showcases this car is far better than a Tesla:

Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

'The absence of being able to control that through paddles is something that I'd be concerned about although reviewers tend to suggest that this car corners really well despite all of the mass.'

Bruce, I see why it would feel a little concerning and different - but just set the regen to max for one pedal driving. That should be enough to keep your line in a curve.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:08 AM

Agreed learning to drive with just the gas pedal will be interesting on the track. Bigger issue with tracking the car is that it will burn through the battery and finding a high powered charging station at or near the track could be problematic. But I have a number of other cars I can track so doubt I'll track this thing and I have a ton of roads where I live where spirited driving is common (and I do have a high powered charger in my garage). So I'm good...