I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I-Pace

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 10:57 AM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default I-Pace

We are going to need an I-Pace thread. I was at the pre-launch and just got on the list for ordering one of these. Car is amazing and they took us through a full VR tour of it thanks to Dell and HTC (Vive). Impressive performance 0-60 in 4 seconds (I think this is understated) 310 mile range. I'm guessing a price in the $50K range. This is close to final, only thing I know will be changed are the back seats, they'll fold down (they don't on the prototype). Dynamic LED headlights though the Intel system that looks through rain and snow won't make it till 2020. No physical gauges, just displays. They tell me even the wheels will make it. Ian was there and he indicated this was a close to final as any car they've ever done. Cool huh?

Attached Thumbnails I-Pace-jaguar-i-pace-concept-vr_014.jpg   I-Pace-jaguar-i-pace-concept-vr_030.jpg   I-Pace-jaguar-i-pace-concept_003.jpg   I-Pace-jaguar-i-pace-vr-experience_032.jpg   I-Pace-jaguar-i-pace-concept_020.jpg  

I-Pace-jaguar-i-pace-concept_022.jpg   I-Pace-jaguar-i-pace-concept_025.jpg   I-Pace-jaguar-i-pace-concept_026.jpg   I-Pace-jaguar-i-pace-concept_021.jpg   I-Pace-jaguar-i-pace-concept-vr_041.jpg  

Last edited by enderle; 11-15-2016 at 11:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by enderle:
JgaXkr (11-15-2016), sklimii (11-16-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

*that* same grill again, ad nauseum.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:02 AM

Yes that is now part of the design language for the car. Kind of like the grill on Mercedes or BMW or... Design language is what ties people to a brand, Apple made it famous but they were hardly the first.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Horses for courses but I love the grill and headlights in the new jags. The I pace looks as good as any SUV and better than any electric car I've seen, and really if the XE and XF had that interior, you wouldnt hear any of the complaints that it isnt up to snuff (not that I necessarily agree with them).

Old 11-16-2016, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Horses for courses but I love the grill and headlights in the new jags. The I pace looks as good as any SUV and better than any electric car I've seen, and really if the XE and XF had that interior, you wouldnt hear any of the complaints that it isnt up to snuff (not that I necessarily agree with them).
Well I like variety. Jaguar should be about spice and excitement, not uniformity. Think the old XJ8, XK8, S-Type all with distinct looks and personalities.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:12 AM

You get variety in different brands. The reason for design language is you create an image for a brand and over time people connect that image to it. Like it or not people like consistency. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Cadillac, Lincoln have all deployed common brand language (most brands have). It cuts down on marketing cost, allows customers to stay in the brand and helps assure loyalty. Those folks that don't like consistency aren't loyal anyway and they aren't customers you fight to keep. Even if you wanted to it would be a crap shoot what they'd like any given year. Thus design language. This was one of the big ideas Jobs brought into Apple but it resides in most all successful brands regardless of industry.

And I agree, the car is beautiful and I'm on the list to buy one. Be aware that the one thing that will change is the interior because the non-folding back seat isn't practical. That's one of the reasons the Tesla X sucks, it is also butt ugly and the gull wing doors are an unreliable mess.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enderle
You get variety in different brands. The reason for design language is you create an image for a brand and over time people connect that image to it. Like it or not people like consistency. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Cadillac, Lincoln have all deployed common brand language (most brands have). It cuts down on marketing cost, allows customers to stay in the brand and helps assure loyalty. Those folks that don't like consistency aren't loyal anyway and they aren't customers you fight to keep.
Totally disagree. I've been a loyal Jaguar fan for 20+ years precisely because of variety WITHIN the brand. It's sad the auto industry is emulating Apple to tell consumers what they *should* want. That's another reason I own an Android and vote independent.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I can understand that. If I had bought a new XF, I'd be a bit peeved that people would confuse it with an XE which (over here) costs significantly less. As it happens though, we have the XE and I'm quite happy if it is confused for an XF. Just as I am not particularly concerned when people think that my F Type is a ferrari. But I'd never buy (say) an A8 because it just looks like a big A4, and Benz seems to be headed the same way with the C, E, and S class.

But ultimately what we are talking about (with the I-Pace) is the same headlights and grill. Aside from that, it doesnt look that close even to an F Pace. And the lights and grill look awesome, so why mess with it? The big problem for Jag has been brand recognition (hence the 35 leapers/growlers/jaguar badges all over the car) and the common face is the marketer's answer to that.

So then we get to a position where, unless Jag do something unpleasant to the XJ, in their lineup only the XE and XF will look alike. Which isnt something new for Jag - remember the X Type looking like a runt XJ?

But it is great to be different, which is one of the reasons I buy Jaguar. But then it isnt great to own a car in a struggling company, so I suppose that this conformity is one of the prices that we are paying for the revived marque.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:01 PM

Yes companies can really screw this up. Recall the Porsche 912 it not only didn't sell well it hurt 911 sales. Be like building a cheap Rolls Royce that looked the same but had a VW engine and cast parts rather than machined parts. So it is important to keep design language within price bands. Design language also means people recognize the brand which is particularly difficult for low volume firms. It doesn't matter that a Corvette doesn't look like any other Chevy because GM makes a ton of them and you call it a Corvette not a Chevy Corvette. The brand consistency is in Corvette not Chevy (GM goes a tad brand crazy but they are huge compared to Jaguar). Now my best Jaguar example is the XKE to XKS, they threw out linier design language and the XKS didn't look like anything else so they lost the XKE buyers and they didn't really pull across the line either (and the car was crap but that is for another time). Often these kinds of issues result from not having a chief designer, in its early years Jaguar clearly had a ton of design consistency, British Leyland broke that, along with a ton of other things, and damn near killed the company. When Ford took over they started to bring it back with the XK series and X series, in fact they tried to take it all the way back to the older design language. Would have done a better job too if the damned accountants hadn't stepped in with requests for larger trunks and back seats. In the end design language, done right, results in a far more profitable company and more loyal and happier customers. Whether you look at Smartphones, Appliances, or cars (even most high end specialty cars) you'll see that the most successful firms have applied this rule/policy to great effect. And largely using this Apple, for a time, was the most profitable valuable company in the world and its CEO the CEO of the decade. And you wouldn't catch me dead with an Apple product but that is a whole other story.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Looks really good to me, although I'm not interested in an electric car at this point.
Lawrence

Old 11-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I am on the list as well, will trade my F-Pace for an I in 2019 or 2020....

Old 11-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

What does it take to get 'on the list'? How much did you put down?

Old 11-21-2016, 09:59 AM
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
What does it take to get 'on the list'? How much did you put down?
So far as I could tell, there is no money down yet, just an email contact where you send them your info for updates, and they ask what you presently drive. I assume that is for pre-qualification purposes.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:16 AM

Go here: Keep Me Informed - I Want One | Jaguar USA under "want one" you'll get a form to sign up. As noted above they aren't asking for money yet. Since you aren't ordering the car where you'd need $1,000 or so I'd expect somewhere in the $100-$300 range when they finally ask for a deposit to get on the list to order then more when you actually configure the car.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Risk of sounding negative

As a happy owner of an F-Type 2016 R, I am pleased that they finally fixed a lot of the "initial rollout ills".

As a not so happy camper with my F-Pace, I must admit that Jaguar has gotten the electrical/infotainment system all "mucked up"! They don't have a stated fix, are trying to update firmware and software, to no avail thus far. Changed some cable for the CD-Player and USB, but it still doesn't work, and the screen has a mind all of it's own. When you put something into a stated page, it flips on it's own, drops calls multiple times on bluetooth, forces people to shut down, lock and recycle in order to get things working, and many other issues that are just horrible. This my friends demonstrates that someone needs to be counseled in the "ON LINE" at the factory quality control desk, and the engineers who designed the infotainment system warrant a good scolding and refresher on Quality Control, Engineering 101. Set of springs changed in the rear, door handle changed due to the "touch control" feature not working, mirror goes down and doesn't come back up, camera freezes in the rear or won't work....the list goes on. So.......

? for all of you? How would anybody engage in an all electric car with Jaguar until there is a demonstration of complete fix in their quality control. If they can't get the software/firmware right on the infotainment system in the F-Pace, and took 3 years to get the software and hardware right on the stereo in the F-Type....would you trust being 50 miles away from home and having a shutdown due to the QC issues, and then call the dealer and they say...."bring it in", or "we don't know what to tell you", or some other statement that just flat out pisses you off and is the height of impracticality?

I, for one, wouldn't want this, and am at the point of feeling Jaguar has outpaced it's ability to roll out newness, and keep it's quality to a high standard on the simplest of things. Mind you the rest of the car is awesome, and as I said I love my F-Type, but .....no more testing with Jaguar. I lost confidence in them on the basics, yet not fully on the brand. Ian creates wonderful cars, but his engineering team in the audio department and infotainment department has failed him and Jaguar thus far. Imagine how Meridian feels with people pointing the finger towards them? Not good!!

Electric? Jaguar? Only after it has been out for 3 years and irons out all wrinkles...you could keep this newness, albeit the concept is pretty cool!

The following 2 users liked this post by slojotaa:
DuhCar (12-05-2017), Mulmur (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slojotaa

I, for one, wouldn't want this, and am at the point of feeling Jaguar has outpaced it's ability to roll out newness, and keep it's quality to a high standard on the simplest of things. Mind you the rest of the car is awesome, and as I said I love my F-Type, but .....no more testing with Jaguar. I lost confidence in them on the basics, yet not fully on the brand. Ian creates wonderful cars, but his engineering team in the audio department and infotainment department has failed him and Jaguar thus far. Imagine how Meridian feels with people pointing the finger towards them? Not good!!

Electric? Jaguar? Only after it has been out for 3 years and irons out all wrinkles...you could keep this newness, albeit the concept is pretty cool!
It's like many big companies I've worked for; the 'beautiful people' were usually the least productive or reliable to get anything done.

I've always maintained Jaguars were/are 'fragile' cars, unlike the Germans and Japanese that you can toss around and not see a screw or wire come loose.

The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfy:
DuhCar (12-05-2017), slojotaa (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wolfy
It's like many big companies I've worked for; the 'beautiful people' were usually the least productive or reliable to get anything done.

I've always maintained Jaguars were/are 'fragile' cars, unlike the Germans and Japanese that you can toss around and not see a screw or wire come loose.
Interesting association, but so true! Well said ++1

Old 11-26-2016, 10:33 AM

Actually my F-Type was one of the first made, not something I did or would suggest anyone do on purpose but it only had a 3 issues that I recall, the hood wasn't properly adjusted, it had the rear spring bushing issue (fixed in later cars), and they wired the back glove box backwards so when you locked the car it popped open (it was a feature!). Other than that it has been trouble free. The sound system isn't great but I haven't had the rattles others have reported. Agree that you likely may not want the first run of the electrics. Though I drove a Tesla X the other day and what a piece of crap and this was a late run car and long after the S came out which is much more reliable now.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enderle
Actually my F-Type was one of the first made, not something I did or would suggest anyone do on purpose but it only had a 3 issues that I recall, the hood wasn't properly adjusted, it had the rear spring bushing issue (fixed in later cars), and they wired the back glove box backwards so when you locked the car it popped open (it was a feature!). Other than that it has been trouble free. The sound system isn't great but I haven't had the rattles others have reported. Agree that you likely may not want the first run of the electrics. Though I drove a Tesla X the other day and what a piece of crap and this was a late run car and long after the S came out which is much more reliable now.
Interesting on the Tesla. One would think to the exact point you and I made that they had this down to a science....but based upon what you said, obviously something is not right with that either.

BTW, I have an update on the F-Pace software. I understand that the major software (1 of 2 releases) was released, and called back for multiple reasons. Say that 20% was installed and the balance wasn't. I didn't know this, and this weekend a major true #1 of 2 releases is now available. Not sure what it does but it is apparently major, with the #2 release to be in March (hopefully expedited). These two are to be the fixes to the complete firmware/software in two major spurts.

When I looked at my version of software, it reflected Feb. 2016, which obviously wasn't the major #1 of #2. I was shocked to find this out, and grateful to the post which steered me in the right direction regarding checking this out. I am in fact "temporarily" relieved to know that there is hope quicker than waiting until March for the big bang update, but as I stated, hesitate until I get my car done on Tuesday with the fresh release that just came to my dealer Friday.

IN summary, interesting on the Tesla, and sorry to hear about this for you. I guess there is no perfection, and in the day Lexus represented the only close to perfection, which was their original model making a stir globally in the automotive industry. different discussion for a different post however!

Take care and hope the Tesla continues to reward you in the future.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Use to say that if Microsoft were to build car, we would have to sometimes stop on the roadside, get out of the car, lock the doors and RESTART:
Now, we are there :-(
Modern cars are computers on wheels. I had a lot of issues with my F Pace, but now it's almost 95% fixed. For the electric jag! I think I would wait a bit, but I don't know how I will react when I lol see it in person... I like to have exclusivity and that electric Jag will be a real head turner for sure!
Guy

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (11-29-2016)