I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar just killed themselves

Old 12-06-2017, 09:23 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Jaguar just killed themselves

Jaguar just shot its self in the foot, i hope people realise were electricity comes from be use its not from Santa clause, and the electro e type and bug type just shows that Ian callam and Tata are the worse thing jaguar has done since the xj40. If you care about jaguar don't buy any new jaguar except the f type which is the only jaguar left instead buy an pre 2008 jaguar like the xj8, xk8,xk, e type as long as you don't kill it, or any other old jaguar.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Well, here in Europe, we all have to get used to things like this, because the politicians have decreed we must all drive more electric vehicles. Anyway, if you look at the performance a Tesla Model s achieves on batteries, a lot of people will like them, and you can charge the batteries overnight at home. Of course in the USA where petrol is virtually untaxed, an electric car may not be so economical in comparison.

For us here in the UK, an electric car would suit us very well as a 2nd car for tootling around town, but my wife loves her New Beetle too much and I'm not going to sell the XJ6 anytime soon !!

Old 12-11-2017, 04:02 AM
Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

At the Bike Show recently at Birmingham's NEC arena, I had a very close look at an electric motorcycle.
Looks exactly like a sports bike, styled nicely, if you didn't know it was electric you'd have thought it was at least a 750cc bike. It has a range of approximately 120 miles and takes about 8 hours to charge.
Ideal commuting bike for me.
I'm not keen on the idea of electric cars though. They still have a limited range, not enough charging points in the UK, and take too long to fully charge. You couldn't plan a decent road trip with one, the charging stops would stop you getting anywhere in a decent amount of time.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Well, here in Europe, we all have to get used to things like this, because the politicians have decreed we must all drive more electric vehicles. Anyway, if you look at the performance a Tesla Model s achieves on batteries, a lot of people will like them, and you can charge the batteries overnight at home. Of course in the USA where petrol is virtually untaxed, an electric car may not be so economical in comparison.

For us here in the UK, an electric car would suit us very well as a 2nd car for tootling around town, but my wife loves her New Beetle too much and I'm not going to sell the XJ6 anytime soon !!
Petrol is still taxed here and the rate is state and even county dependent and can be over 50 cents a gallon.

As tax income from petrol sales declines at what stage do authorities change laws to generate the income they need to make up for the loss?

I have seen , several times now, suggestions to tax miles driven.

For me that would be fine however for those with long commutes?

Old 12-11-2017, 07:04 AM
Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

Our government has already started on that one!
Up until April this year, road tax cost for an all electric vehicle was zero.
And a lot of hybrid cars were as little as £35 per year.
We have/had an emission based road tax system.
Because they realised they were losing revenue with people taking up the incentive of electric/hybrid cars, the cost is now £145 per year on all new electric vehicles.
Then they hit us with a double whammy.
Any new vehicle that costs over £40,000 new, you have to pay a tax subsidy for the first 6 years, based on the cost of the car, then it drops down to the "normal" rates.
Basically, if you choose to drive in the UK, just assume the position, you are gonna get screwed.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell

out of all the cars in the world I would first get the insainly over priced challenge stradala before I even look at the yikes pace

Old 12-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

The death of Jaguar has been pronounced a few times:
1945 - End of S.S. Cars Ltd
1968 - Swallowed by British Leyland
1975 - End of the E-Type
1990 - Purchased by Ford
2008 - Sold to Tata
Somehow, I suspect that the Old Cat has used up scarcely half of her nine lives.

The following 2 users liked this post by SCMike:
Misujerr (01-02-2018), NBCat (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 12:23 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

What really would 'kill off' Jaguar is refusing to provide vehicles that new or younger buyers want. Most young people view a Jaguar as 'an old man's car' without even considering the performance. If you want to see where JLR are headed with the Jaguar marque, look no further than Porsche.

Among the complaints about the 2.0 litre X152 and the new Aston Martin Vantage are the 'cheapening of the brand' comments and how no one should, or is going to buy one. My guess is that the 2.0 litre X152 and the Vantage are both going to do quite well sales-wise.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (11-10-2018)
Old 12-13-2017, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I used to think like you guys, but I have since test driven a few electric cars and man, are they a blast!!! No, I have not driven a Tesla. BMW i3 was a lot of fun, and it makes a nice sound!

Old 12-13-2017, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by SCMike
The death of Jaguar has been pronounced a few times:
1945 - End of S.S. Cars Ltd
1968 - Swallowed by British Leyland
1975 - End of the E-Type
1990 - Purchased by Ford
2008 - Sold to Tata
Somehow, I suspect that the Old Cat has used up scarcely half of her nine lives.
Jaguar did die in 2013 as it was merged with land rover so it is technically dead

Old 12-13-2017, 07:40 PM

A jaguar not making sound is a dead jaguar

BruceTheQuail (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 07:42 PM

Doctor what can we do to save him
Proscripe a rental ferrari

Old 12-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguarstyper
A jaguar not making sound is a dead jaguar
That's clever so you deserve credit, even if I dont necessarily agree.

But some might say that a silent jaguar is more dangerous than a noisy one.

I love engine noise but then I have a PV system on my roof happily generating 60kwH on a sunny day. I could have the iPace and never pay a cracker to run it, and also enjoy that massive instantaneous torque. But then I've never driven a car without gears, would that kill the enjoyment of engine braking in the twisties??? Ahhh, a conundrum, no doubt we will find out in a couple of years.

I'm looking forward to it.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:43 PM

You don't think you pay till your wife sees the electric bill after all the UK gets cloudy
Also since the battery is stored in the base of the car how do you think mild water will react to a battery.
Curious killed the cat

A drowned cat stays dead

Last edited by Jaguarstyper; 12-13-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:48 PM

But the modern cat has no pounce left in it and is only an imposter possible a cheetah or camilion trying to blend in

When the cat looks like this you better stay home<br/>Rip leaper

With age comes wisdom and with wisdom comes knowing your jaguar survived harvey while the eletric car people go buy a new car and a new 1k phone, becuse there young and dont know there phone has been the same for ten years and so is the current xj and the tombstone for jaguar

Last edited by Jaguarstyper; 12-13-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:54 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts

Really, wow. You are excessively trolling this group. I've been driving Jaguars since the '70s they've only gotten better since then. (I should say since the '80s because the late 70s and 80s really sucked). But my Ford XKR and Tata F-Type are great cars.

dangoesfast (01-01-2024)
Old 12-14-2017, 10:08 PM

First off ford didn't own jaguar when the xfr came out second the electric community killed an e type, and third a jaguar without that amazing v8 isn't a jaguar.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:09 AM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Erm it was XK8 not XFR, so you are saying the XK2.4 2.8 3.4 3.8 and 4.2 straight six’s are not Jaguars?
Lost a bit of credibility there I’m afraid.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:25 AM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Really...

Originally Posted by Jaguarstyper
First off ford didn't own jaguar when the xfr came out second the electric community killed an e type, and third a jaguar without that amazing v8 isn't a jaguar.
The XK8 which lead to the XKR was a Ford design (good looking with the exception of the oversized trunk). V8s are a relatively recent addition to the line, Jaguar was mostly a V6 company until the V12s came out in the 1970s and V8s in the 1990s (Triumph (Stag) and Sunbeam (Tiger) did V8s earlier but not Jaguar).

Ford bought Jaguar in 1990 the XK8 came out initially in 1996 making it a Ford car and that V8 was shared with one of the Lincolns. You may want to look things up next time, the web is your friend:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_Cars

XK8/XKR ENTHUSIASTS CLUB (XKEC) - XK History

On destroying an e-Type that is a statement without evidence. Jaguar can certainly build from spare parts (they are Jaguar after all) and there are plenty of e-Type flood cars out there that would be good mules but more expensive to restore than building the car fresh from aftermarket parts.

Jaguar Electric E-Type Zero is the Most Beautiful EV Ever Made | Automobile Magazine

Now, were it me, I'd use the XK-180 prototype to build an electric around only because the design is more forward looking and still beautiful.

XK180.com - Home

On electrics and water, you do know that submarines are electric right (they have different forms of generation but the common way to drive them was electricity) and even gas cars have a rather impressive amount of electrical components, something that was actually pretty nasty in those early Lucas electric cars.

Last edited by enderle; 12-15-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:37 PM

You should classify me as legally blind, I'm not saying the v6 xk isn't a jaguar but the best sounding jaguar do
And the e electric is first a gas car so your most beautiful car artical is useless and as you see the i-ice is hideous just like the BMW electric SUV

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jaguar just killed themselves