Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   I-Pace EV (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i-pace-ev-102/)
-   -   Jaguar just killed themselves (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i-pace-ev-102/jaguar-just-killed-themselves-193423/)

XJ8JR 05-08-2018 11:33 AM

My only concern is how will the power grid hold up if everyone has an electric car? Here in the California we have rolling blackouts during the summer sometimes due to the extra power demand from air conditioning. There's always some tv or radio commercial advising everyone to set their thermostats to something ridiculous like 80 degrees in order to conserve power. Will the state and federal governments build up the electrical infrastructure to meet their self-imposed demands? How much of a carbon footprint will all these new power plants have? Will electricity become a high-priced high-taxed commodity like gasoline?

enderle 05-08-2018 11:44 AM

That's a valid concern, even the street transformers don't have enough overhead for everyone on a block to charge their cars at once if they had them. Overall capacity generally looks pretty good because most charge their cars at night when we currently have excess generation capacity but we clearly will need more clean power generation capability if the entire industry, which is planned, shifts to electric by 2030. Given Europe and China will shift first we'll get a few years early warning. My plan is to eventually go non-grid tied solar and I live where there is excess hydro-electric power and I'm the only one (so far) on my block with an electric (when I get it). There is already a pretty high density of Tesla cars in CA and while there have been spot problems, so far, I'm unware of a transformer catastrophic failure due to too many of the things on a block. I expect, in the US, CA, or specifically Silicon Valley, will have the problem first and that'll serve as an early warning. But, agree, it is a concern. I think it is manageable but we'll know for sure in a few years as we hit critical mass in Silicon Valley.

Blastphemy 05-08-2018 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR (Post 1891438)
My only concern is how will the power grid hold up if everyone has an electric car? Here in the California we have rolling blackouts during the summer sometimes due to the extra power demand from air conditioning. There's always some tv or radio commercial advising everyone to set their thermostats to something ridiculous like 80 degrees in order to conserve power. Will the state and federal governments build up the electrical infrastructure to meet their self-imposed demands? How much of a carbon footprint will all these new power plants have? Will electricity become a high-priced high-taxed commodity like gasoline?

Most people will be charging their cars overnight when it's not a problem. Those who charge during the day will hopefully utilize chargers that are solar powered (like a lot of the Tesla superchargers are). Those rolling blackouts in California are only during the daytime, and the more people who install solar panels and Telsa Power Walls (or the equivalent from another company), the less you'll have to be concerned.

gtjoey 05-08-2018 12:17 PM

Remember, I was protesting the government in 1981 when they took LEAD GAS away from my 1969 oldsmobile....
Ummm pretty dumb idea..
So with that, the grid will survive BECAUSE they will shift the gas tax to a local grid tax to upgrade.
Sad to report to all of you but MOST of the third world countries have better power grids then the U.S.
Its a joke.
No antifreeze, No oils, no Tranny fluid, nor rear diff fluid and so much more.
I'm ready!
GTJOEY DRIVING A 1966 ETYPE on weekends!

sov211 05-13-2018 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell (Post 1861645)
Magna also assemble BMW 5-series and the Merc SUVs. It is a very bid operation based on the old Steyr-Daimler-Puch factory, but Magna are US based.

Actually, Magna is a Canadian company - but yes, the plant for these cars is in Austria.

McRat 06-02-2018 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jaguarstyper (Post 1804964)
Jaguar just shot its self in the foot, i hope people realise were electricity comes from be use its not from Santa clause, and the electro e type and bug type just shows that Ian callam and Tata are the worse thing jaguar has done since the xj40. If you care about jaguar don't buy any new jaguar except the f type which is the only jaguar left instead buy an pre 2008 jaguar like the xj8, xk8,xk, e type as long as you don't kill it, or any other old jaguar.

The Jaguar EV400 is built in Austria. One thing about an EV... Wake up to full tank each morning, and instant acceleration without attracting undue attention.
It is a touch quicker than the Porsche Macan Turbo, and less money, and a little larger.
My electricity comes from rainbows and unicorn flatulence. More than enough to power our 3 (soon to be 4) electric vehicles. Yesterday, 159 kWh of power from the air.
I doubt the EV400 will catch our old trackworn Z06 Vette, but it should be plenty of fun for playtime on AutoX, and as a grocery getter.

But this is one I want to play with:

enderle 06-02-2018 10:55 PM

Yep

Originally Posted by McRat (Post 1906000)
The Jaguar EV400 is built in Austria. One thing about an EV... Wake up to full tank each morning, and instant acceleration without attraction undue attention.
It is a touch quicker than the Porsche Macan Turbo, and less money, and a little larger.
My electricity comes from rainbows and unicorn flatulence. More than enough to power our 3 (soon to be 4) electric vehicles. Yesterday, 159 kWh of power from the air.
I doubt the EV400 will catch our old trackworn Z06 Vette, but it should be plenty of fun for playtime on AutoX, and as a grocery getter.

But this is one I want to play with:

You and me both brother...

McRat 06-03-2018 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR (Post 1891438)

Right now there are not enough EVs in California, which has the highest concentration of EVs in the US, to have any effect.

But someday they could. We WILL have to worry about daytime DCFC charging in the future. We are still in the infancy of EVs, but the Teslas can pull 120kW, and the EV400 pulls 100kW as does the Hyundai. This is >10 times the normal night charging rate. Night charging at 7 kW (32amp EVSE / 40a breaker @ 240v) will add 57 kWh to a car in 8 hours of Super Off Peak TOU window. 57 kWh is a lot. Driving 80 mph should net over 100 miles in the winter with the heater blasting with room to spare.

But during the day, when power use is at it's peak, using 10 times more kWs to refuel will be an issue. What they will do about it is already in the works.

There will be 'smart' technologies in DCFC chargers. They will be able to cut back on amps when the utility requests it. By doubling the charging time, they cut the power use in 1/2, or whatever number is necessary. It's more likely they will be 10% or so short during a heat wave, so charging time increases appropriately. They already do this with businesses and their AC systems. Soon residential customers will have that technology.

But we are using less power per capita now, and there is mandatory city and state laws concerning roof top solar power. We have worked harder at providing power for EVs, than we have worked at infrastructure and consumer acceptance.

Personal Note: I'm not a Save The Snails kind of guy. If the i-Pace was available with Baby Seal interior and lubricated with Whale Oil, I'd be good. I love EVs like I love high powered gasoline and diesel vehicles. With the EV, I love the instant and tractable thrust they provide. No gas cars can do that yet. The ZR1 was close. Freakin' tractor motor. Power from idle on up, but still no match for electromotive propulsion.

Lotusjag04 07-19-2018 06:09 PM

Jaguar ipace

Funny enough I am probably the last survivor of the 90s, i still use vsr, get the newspaper, drive a 94 xj6, and just bought a factory fresh 1993 ibm computer and stetting it up in the office which I might add cost more than the jag. And i would say the 80s and 90s are vary much alive https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...a9b595df03.jpg

Lotusjag04 07-19-2018 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by enderle (Post 1880798)
I think he was just trolling us.

i doubt it, he was on vinwiki and hated eletric cars it was the same with the old post on the x308 forum

enderle 07-20-2018 11:30 AM

Still, looked like something a troll would do. Some of his posts (one that was deleted comes to mind) didn't even make that much sense. In any case he appears to have moved on.