Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   I-Pace EV (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i-pace-ev-102/)
-   -   Why is there so little activity in this subforum? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i-pace-ev-102/why-there-so-little-activity-subforum-217010/)

mjsammon 04-28-2019 10:22 AM

Why is there so little activity in this subforum?

Could this be the reason?
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ell-in-the-u-s

GGG 04-28-2019 05:09 PM

Shyness?

I agree the thread/post count is low but the Views are well up. What we need is Viewers to become Posters!

Graham

Fraser Mitchell 04-30-2019 01:39 PM

People who are into electric cars tend not to be Jaguar enthusiasts. From what I see on YouTube the I-Pace has had very favourable reviews, but at the moment Tesla seems to have the market for up-market EVs at the moment. The I-Pace is not cheap, so not many people will have the money anyway.

AJ16er 04-30-2019 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell (Post 2063087)
People who are into electric cars tend not to be Jaguar enthusiasts. From what I see on YouTube the I-Pace has had very favourable reviews, but at the moment Tesla seems to have the market for up-market EVs at the moment. The I-Pace is not cheap, so not many people will have the money anyway.

Plus if somebody is buying one to save on fuel costs you can get a diesel Jetta for a small faction and save enough money to purchase fuel for many years. Or get an XE diesel for roughly $40k new. Still a nice car and I'd get one if wanted an EV.

GPA9504 05-01-2019 12:19 PM

I've been a lurker here for awhile (I Pace) since trading my 2016 F Type R on a Tesla Model 3 Performance. I REALLY wanted to give the I Pace a try- my Jag dealer is dang good and I wanted a really quick EV for local driving. I had a Tesla Model X last year so very familiar with EVs. Tesla as a company is a train wreck- but most of you guys likely know this. But they make some compelling cars.

But back to the I Pace- for me, just way, way too expensive. Jaguar made a gorgeous EV but missed the price unfortunately. Had they offered that around $60K- I think they would have stole a lot more Tesla folks. But at $80+ for a well equipped version- I could not make that work.

So back to OP's topic- I wonder how many people feel similar???? And maybe that's why the activity is so low here?

89 Jacobra 05-01-2019 08:11 PM

Could it be Jaguars are supposed to GROWL ! not HUM??? Just a thought.

wuster 05-06-2019 01:03 AM

agreed, in US only sold less than 1K vehicles. :-(

But still got mine and love it! :-) competition in this space is only going to heat up. Hence big rush on Jag to push out first. Porsche, Audi, Benz, Kia, Hyunda, all releasing new models.

Heard it's selling much better in EU, was #1 EV in Norway, or something like that.

enderle 05-06-2019 02:55 PM

Agree, there are a relatively low number of us that actually have cars. This means lots of views given the car is very topical but not a lot of folks driving them so comments are low. I'm still trying to figure out how to track mine, the lack of high speed chargers at tracks is problematic. I'm hoping the high performance Model 3 (Tesla) will help the tracks justify putting these things in. We'll see.

GaryTheViking 05-10-2019 07:43 AM

After owning many, many Jaguars, I now bought the I-Pace. But should it have been my first Jaguar, I wouldn't be here on the forum. It is a simple performer, no fuss, no issues. Less personality too... ?

The I-Pace is an incredible car in every respect. I have driven the high end Teslas, and they seem half finished and design is copied. Poor styling and low manufacturing quality was apparent already then, when there was no Jaguar to compare it to (I do appreciate that in the US a car is a bit different kinda object, and Tesla was early on the market). Now several Tesla owners have come to me complaining technical flaws, such as overheating during sporty driving and winter issues - one had his car towed five times last winter due to frozen door handles. (So far, according to the importer, I-Pace has had no such issues here in Finland.)

It is a new world of motoring. For normal commuting (and trips under 350 km) I will never again visit a gas station - the car awaits fuelled and heated/cooled in the morning!

While behind the wheel, it seems all "normal" cars have a problem, they don't really move, and they smell bad.

After all this quiet driving (only tire sound), I do look forward to driving my XKR-S on the weekend and a bit of bad-assing. That creates something you want to see and feel, and needs forums for. As the Jag ad said, feeling more alive....?

wuster 05-10-2019 12:11 PM

great review. agreed, overall great driver. In fact, getting wife on board so that it becomes our weekend car as well. :-) Usually my cars aren't as suitable for driving kids around and getting kids in and out. I-Pace has been great in this case!

And the kids love the earth friendly aspect. They do a great job in school now adays teaching environmental preservation.

All and in all, great experience, great car.

On side note, I don't get some "tire noise" I get more motor noise especially on regen. I was worried about tire noise, did a whole bunch of research on getting foam insulated tires, etc. But it's completely fine! :-)

Have fun in the XKR! :-)

wuster 05-12-2019 12:12 AM

Came across these articles, looks like sales are ok, but not great

https://insideevs.com/news/343801/ja...r-sales-in-us/

Jaguar I-PACE Sales Top 1,400 In April 2019

https://insideevs.com/news/348911/april-2019-jaguar-i-pace-sales/
Jaguar is struggling with a drop of its general sales (by 13.7% in April to 11,462) and the new all-electric I-PACE is not yet able to help.

In April, sales of the I-PACE amounted to 1,419 globally, which is 12.4% of the overall volume for the brand.

Taking into consideration how many awards the I-PACE won and how amazing the car looks in person, we assume that only production constraints prevent sales of at least above 2,000 per month.

Total cumulative sales of the I-PACE is now 12,755 after 12 months

GaryTheViking 05-12-2019 04:35 AM

Thank you!

Originally Posted by wuster (Post 2068559)
great review. agreed, overall great driver. In fact, getting wife on board so that it becomes our weekend car as well. :-) Usually my cars aren't as suitable for driving kids around and getting kids in and out. I-Pace has been great in this case!

And the kids love the earth friendly aspect. They do a great job in school now adays teaching environmental preservation.

All and in all, great experience, great car.

On side note, I don't get some "tire noise" I get more motor noise especially on regen. I was worried about tire noise, did a whole bunch of research on getting foam insulated tires, etc. But it's completely fine! :-)

Have fun in the XKR! :-)

Thank you!

I have now turned the artificial noise back on via the menu. It covers the tire sound and calms my driving too. (Quietness felt like I needed to push the pedal even more.)

Even if I notice the tire sound on rough asphalt, it's the only sound. To be fair, I've never driven a more quiet car as far missing wind noise or tire sound on good tarmac. No more Pirellis - Goodyear is the OEM tire chosen by Jaguar.

wuster 05-12-2019 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by GaryTheViking (Post 2069306)
(Quietness felt like I needed to push the pedal even more.)

:icon_beerchug: :icon_clapclap: Agreed on that felling / urge. Probably what I've been doing. Love the silent aggressiveness.

Originally Posted by GaryTheViking (Post 2069306)
Even if I notice the tire sound on rough asphalt, it's the only sound. To be fair, I've never driven a more quiet car as far missing wind noise or tire sound on good tarmac. No more Pirellis - Goodyear is the OEM tire chosen by Jaguar.

I'm a huge believer of the right tires resulting in better performance, road noise, comfort, etc.

On almost every car I've gotten i changed out the OEM tires to something different depending on application.

My wife's range rover sport (510hp 550 torque), I decrease profile (made tires fatter) for less torque and smoother / softer ride. Absolutely loved it.

My Benz E63, did same, just a little wider and taller tires, it completely smoothed out the rough edges of the handling and performance. And filled in the wheel gap.

For the I Pace, I'm thinking of just a softer tire.

Possible this one. It's already JLR OEM tire, just not for our vehicle. It's a much softer tire and tire life will be significantly less.
P Zero - Size: 255/50R20

OR
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 - Size: 255/50ZR20

Or these 2 which are all OEM tires for Benz, Bentley, and Maserati, but start getting a little wide for the rims we have. But both have great reviews and well received by general users.
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT - Size: 265/45R20
Continental SportContact 6 - Size: 265/45ZR20

Previously we had a thread just on tires and members were all experimenting with different experiences. Probably won't get that sort of feedback / interest on this forum. :-)

GaryTheViking 05-19-2019 05:05 PM

Totally agree. Tires make all the difference. The better the car, the more you will feel it (suffer if wrong).

I have had the OEM Pirelli P Zeros on my XKR-S and they are good. Second set now at about 40 000 km. On an hour of hard driving on the Monza track in Italy I lost over half of the surface - they are soft, though appearing sporty.

Electric cars are heavy, so they will consume tires - maybe that's why the OEM is now Goodyear and not Pirelli P Zero? Yet, softer is comfortable on nice driving.

I chose the 20" wheels, as the test car's 22" were very bad due to the low profile, just as you talk about here above. Of the three choices, I'd absolutely recommend the middle one.

wuster 05-19-2019 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by GaryTheViking (Post 2073122)
Totally agree. Tires make all the difference. The better the car, the more you will feel it (suffer if wrong).

100% agreed!

I have had the OEM Pirelli P Zeros on my XKR-S and they are good. Second set now at about 40 000 km. On an hour of hard driving on the Monza track in Italy I lost over half of the surface - they are soft, though appearing sporty.

MY OEM's for both RS7 and E63 both had these, didn't like tire life, only 10K-15K miles. I switched to bridgestones or michelins

Electric cars are heavy, so they will consume tires - maybe that's why the OEM is now Goodyear and not Pirelli P Zero? Yet, softer is comfortable on nice driving.

good point! same for tesla's too then... wonder how tire wear has been for them.

I chose the 20" wheels, as the test car's 22" were very bad due to the low profile, just as you talk about here above. Of the three choices, I'd absolutely recommend the middle one.

100% when i saw the 22" i really felt was overboard and unnecessary. Not to mention huge additional unsprung weight

Looks like we're in same school of thought! :-) :icon_toast:

Fraser Mitchell 05-20-2019 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by wuster (Post 2069268)
Came across these articles, looks like sales are ok, but not great

https://insideevs.com/news/343801/ja...r-sales-in-us/

Jaguar I-PACE Sales Top 1,400 In April 2019

https://insideevs.com/news/348911/april-2019-jaguar-i-pace-sales/
Jaguar is struggling with a drop of its general sales (by 13.7% in April to 11,462) and the new all-electric I-PACE is not yet able to help.

In April, sales of the I-PACE amounted to 1,419 globally, which is 12.4% of the overall volume for the brand.

Taking into consideration how many awards the I-PACE won and how amazing the car looks in person, we assume that only production constraints prevent sales of at least above 2,000 per month.

Total cumulative sales of the I-PACE is now 12,755 after 12 months

The limiting factor is likely to be battery supply, so Jaguar seem to have concentrated on the top end of the EV market so they get a decent margin on each car. There's no point in pricing it to match Tesla and then being unable to supply the cars. These are made in Austria by Magna, BTW, a contract car builder occupying the old Steyr-Daimler-Puch factory in Graz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Steyr

Strange to think Jaguars are made alongside Mercs, BMWs, and Toyotas !

enderle 05-21-2019 07:53 PM

In the newer, Jaguar factories management is largely ex-Mercedes and their automation rivals Tesla (and they are generally better managed). I had a chance to chat with Jaguar's CIO a couple of years back and while there are some legacy factories still in the process of being updated, Tata has done wonders to improve on what Ford did for the firm overall. Now if they'd just improve the feedback loop and better engage with their customers...

yarpos 06-13-2019 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by mjsammon (Post 2061965)

Dont think people who view cars as an appliance are really into car forums that much. Combined with the low relative numbers and its not that surprising that activity is low for now.

enderle 06-13-2019 07:39 PM

That's a good point but I'm also part of the Jaguar Advisory council (the I-Pace group) and they seem pretty active. But this isn't a car you can self-repair nor is it one you can really modify yet so the reasons to even look for a forum are lower. I know the Tesla folks are pretty active on the Tesla forum though. It may be that folks just don't know this forum exists.

docsbc 06-18-2019 09:10 PM

No, Ive been active o forums since I ordered mine in January, but Ive been here " https://www.i-paceforum.com " , I think there is good info both places. Im seeing some good stuff here also. I wish they would combine