Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Loose A Pillar Cloth

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loose A Pillar Cloth

My 01 XKR has loose cloth on the A pillars and the header panel, what is the best company to obtain the correct material. The color is AGD oatmeal.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 09-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

WLS Headliners - Automotive interior products ought to have it...but email them with the car information, do not try to match the color from the samples online.

Also Auto Replacement Convertible tops, Interiors, Softtop, Seat covers, Auto headliners sold me a complete headliner, along with a yard of perfectly matching material for the A-pillars and header...so they have it. You can call and see if they can sell it separately.

The following users liked this post:
JRE-xkr (09-05-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Think about doing the rear deck as well as it is likely that that is desintegrating as well

Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a note to help out others with this problem. I just replaced my A pillars because the fabric was coming loose. There is another thread with a bit more detail on this and a copy of the replacement instructions, such as they are:
HTML Code:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-14/plastic-pillars-82254/
In general it is an easy job, but it took me more than the 5 minutes someone stated. You do have to remove the door seal/gasket a little but you should only pull it back from the area where it covers the A pillar. It will make the install easier. You take hold of the top of the pillar cover and if you can get a grip also the side facing the interior and just yank it toward you. If you are sitting in the seat when you do this pull it at an angle, toward your body and slightly toward the center console.

There is one clip and a tether that hold it on, plus it has some tabs that are inserted into the appropriate slots on the end at the dash. Of course if you have purchased replacement pillars you already know this. My replacements had new clips with the tether attached at the upper end of each but the upper clip does not pop out when you remove the old pillar, it remains atached to the post. So you want to remove the clip and tether from the new one, and attached the existing tether to the new pillar. To be honest I don't know why they use that tether arrangement but since it is there I used it and unless you try to pry the old clip out you have to use it anyway.

So to install the new pillar you slip the bottom end, near the dash, into place and line it all up, then slip the plastic clip for the tether onto the new pillar. Place it in position and give it a good rap with the heel of your palm over the middle clip and it will snap into place. In both the left and right replacements my pillar did not snap in tight the first time I did this. I do not know why, but it was not snug at the top for some reason. I popped it out, lined it up a second time, and snapped it into place again and that time it fit nice and snug. Then you just slid the door seal back into place and push it flush. Job done.

I got my A pillar covers from my Jag dealer for $92.00 each. They did not have them in stock but took one day to get them for me. I gave them my interior code, part numbers, vin number, and also told them the color I needed as I had determined that by asking members in the forum. In looking at the old ones it looks like it would be a little bit of work to reglue the fabric without getting the glue (spray adhesive would be best I guess) on the rest of the fabric but I think I might give it a try for kicks. Nothing to lose and maybe I will then have a back up set. Plus I can see how it holds up in the long run.

Last edited by tarheel72; 04-30-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The A pillars on the XKR just yank off. No need to deal with trim.

I am in the process of doing mine for the same reason. My A pillars look like elephant legs. I ordered headliner material from WLS. I tried to match from the computer screen. The material I got is not an exact match which is fine by me. It is slightly lighter than what is in there now, which I actually prefer.

WLS specifically states that it can't provide an exact match.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

i ordered also from wls plus the adhesive. believe i ordered the med gray and it was an exact match. its foam backed so its easy to install and you have a few min to work with it b4 it sets up.