Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Interior (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/interior-21/)
-   -   What to use to keep wood detailed? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/interior-21/what-use-keep-wood-detailed-32628/)

prodigy215 01-29-2010 12:04 PM

What to use to keep wood detailed?

Hello all! I have a 1996' Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas. I've been wondering what should I use to keep my wood detailed like brand new?

I was told to use Microfiber towels on the wood. Is that the correct way of doing it? What wood polisher should I use to keep the wood fine and detailed? Reply asap. thanks alot!

H20boy 01-29-2010 01:41 PM

some people just use pledge, I prefer a more advance approach ...lol

I use Scott's Liquid Gold, and my local ACE hardware store stocked it.

http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/file...ner-almond.jpg

I've recently found, that small surface scratches can be removed just the same as your paint...but very carefully. I had a scuff on my dash, and a little scratch remove, followed by polish, followed by liquid gold and I can't even tell where it used to be.

good luck!

viscoussquirrel 05-07-2010 03:52 AM

if I'm not mistaken the natural wood isn't exposed as it's coated in what amounts to be plastic. So wouldn't it make more sense to take care of it as a plastic derivative as opposed to the wood that's far underneath it?

joolz 06-26-2010 08:33 PM

I had the same thought... plastic is what we are caring for, not wood. It seems to me that the less harsh the better... Maybe just a sponge and water?

TopHatChef 06-27-2010 09:30 PM

I've heard, and had some luck with Old English.

Doug 06-27-2010 09:35 PM

I wipe it clean with a slightly damp cloth and wax it with the same wax I use on the paint.

Cheers
DD

X350-Driver 08-19-2010 02:04 PM

I used just a sponge with some little water, for 6 years and the wood was as new!

darkshadow378 08-22-2010 08:49 AM

wood care

The finish you see on your wood is a clear coat and is applied by spraying on multiple coats. Thats why furniture polish works, it fills in the stratches and makes the surface even. When you see cracks or yellowing, it's not the wood that's craked or yellowed it's the clear coat that has cracked or yellowed. Time and heat tend to cause this. The solution is the remove the clear coat and reapply it. Newer clear coats last much longer but eventually it will need refinishing. Yes, lots of work, but there are some really good refinishers out there.

Innovative Detailing 08-22-2010 02:24 PM

For my clients vehicles that I maintain on a weekly basis, which is usually 52 weeks per year, I use nothing but the softest MF towel in my arsenal and "Blue Mist" for that perfect look. It keeps the wood anti static, and finger print free with a super gloss and shine.

mrtalkradio 09-24-2010 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by darkshadow378 (Post 236783)
The finish you see on your wood is a clear coat and is applied by spraying on multiple coats.

Yes. It is Nitrocellulose Lacquer.
Whatever you would use to polish/clean your kitchen/living-room/dining table is what you can use. The key is to do it often. The number one issue on Jag's in my opinion is Lacquer Checks. There are several different technical terms for them. But we mostly say "cracking/cracks." keep them well dressed, especially the areas that get blown by your vents.

viscoussquirrel 09-25-2010 12:34 AM

well. there you have it :)

pezzonovante88 09-25-2010 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Innovative Detailing (Post 236888)
For my clients vehicles that I maintain on a weekly basis, which is usually 52 weeks per year, I use nothing but the softest MF towel in my arsenal and "Blue Mist" for that perfect look. It keeps the wood anti static, and finger print free with a super gloss and shine.

Hi, what is "Blue Mist" and where can I get it?

mrtalkradio 09-26-2010 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 (Post 248656)
Hi, what is "Blue Mist" and where can I get it?

http://www.pacificprodux.com/BlueMis...idv-82-15.html

j_bond 11-05-2010 09:47 AM

i will get reemed for this, but honestly, i use windex and a microfiber towel. works amazingly well!!! i've used it on my X-type, C32amg, SC430, avalon, RX300.... has done wonders for years on plastic-covered woodgrain. great for quick touch ups to get rid of fingerprints and smudges too! Mother's plastic polish gets rid of minor abrasions too.

j_bond 11-05-2010 09:50 AM

in my opinion, Blue Mist is a generic version of Zaino's Detailer spray. Zaino makes MUCH better stuff. I've used both and NOTHING comes close to the water-sealing properties of Zaino. I couldn't even set my towel on the flat roof of my x-type after spraying with Zaino detailing spray because of how slick it is after treating! Blue mist did NOT have this effect.

tirekicker 11-06-2010 07:48 PM

I just use standard carbanuba was on the wood and love the look/feel afterwards

Gus 11-06-2010 08:55 PM

You need to be aware of what you are using on the wood. However, the wood is not the problem it is the rest of the interior! Have you ever applied wax to your car and got a little on the black plastic? Several days down the road the black plastic area that came in contact with the wax becomes milky looking and you are at times unable to remove the wax. The wax you use on the wood could get on the plastic dash items and could provide you with less than satisfactory results that is at times impossible to correct.

The wood finish is protecting the wood and you must keep in mind that all you are doing is polishing the thick coat of finish (lacquer) that is on the wood as mentioned earlier. If you want it to look good use a product that will also enhance the dash (plastic) products. If you want it to smell good use a leather wax or Armor All with a SOFT cloth. This will provide you with a great looking car. I hope this helps!

Christian 96 XJR 11-06-2010 11:26 PM

I carefully (avoiding getting it on other parts) and gently apply Minwax Furniture wax for lacquered wood furniture.

Gus 11-07-2010 06:12 AM

I like and use Minwax products on all of my projects and the furniture wax is a great product, what I do not know is how it reacts to the sunlight, heat and UV in the car.

Marco 11-12-2010 04:43 PM

I use Old English Lemon Oil. I'm sure there are lots of products that work just as well. I use a soft cloth, let it set for a few minutes and then buff it off. Does a good job.