Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

Interchangeability? AJ133 from Jag into LR4

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interchangeability? AJ133 from Jag into LR4

Originally Posted by Cambo
Welcome to the forum Andre, when you get a moment stop by our new members area.

The pistons are different between the N/A and S/C engines, which changes the compression ratio. The rest is the sam

Attachment 121855

No way to use the N/A engine in a S/C car the compression will be way too high, unless you swap the pistons out...

If you are having trouble finding a second hand engine, you could also use the 5.0L engine from an XKR, XFR (or XF-SC), F-Type V8S or R, Range Rover Sport or Range Rover Vogue.

Good luck.
My fellow members I am a new member on here and really need your help. I purchased a used 2010 Land Rover LR4 which has the AJ 133 5.0 V8
It originally had 79,000 miles on it and the first problem knocked at my door at 130,000 miles while on the freeway water pump blew navigate any warning lights no overheating gauge nothing in the motor cooked from overheating. I am in a big bind right now as this is our family vehicle with five kids my wife is driving me crazy land rover quoted me seven grand to do a head gasket but could not promise that the bottom of the engine is at 100%. I have done some research and found that the motor five point no GEN three is the same used in the Land Rover Range Rover and jaguar models non-supercharged. I have found one on a 2011 jaguar XF non supercharged, I am going to have to pay 3800+ a core and I don't want to make a mistake my question specifically is is it a direct fitment like some people say or how does the transmission connect given that my truck is a 4 x 4 and that this motor is coming from a 2 Wheel Dr. and there are other Jaguars that are all wheel drive? When looking at the connection where it actually mounts to the transmission it appears to be the same but I really need someone's help here? Please advise?

Old 01-27-2017, 03:27 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your troubles.

There are some minor differences between the LR and the Jag version, but they are just bolt-on things, the biggest differences are the sump and the oil pickup, you would have to swap the sump and oil pickup from your LR engine to the donor Jag one.

Reason being that the sump of the LR engine has the clearances for the front diff.

The exhaust manifolds I believe to be different between the LR and Jag versions.

The accessory drive is also different between the Jag & LR versions, but again this is just bolt-on stuff.

When you have the two engines side by side it's pretty obvious which items need changing, but the core of the engine, the block, heads intake and internals, is the same, just some bolt-on differences.

Have a look at this tech guide it explains the differences JLR-V8 AJ133 5.0 liter engine Components&ampSystems[1].pdf

Last edited by Cambo; 01-27-2017 at 03:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Outrun (01-21-2022), ronbros (01-27-2017)
Old 02-16-2019, 06:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good day Sir! Was reading your thread and I am currently in the same situation as you were before. Just wanted to ask and follow up with your questions.. What have you ended up doing? Did you get the Jag engine from the XF? How was the fitment?

Old 07-08-2020, 08:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP or Stan 2.4, did you ever go through with the Jag donor install into the RR? Was it a success?

The following users liked this post:
Stan2.4 (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 11:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Engine swap success

Originally Posted by Tompaul
OP or Stan 2.4, did you ever go through with the Jag donor install into the RR? Was it a success?
yes sir, Yes sir, had a bit of problem with one of the high pressure fuel pump and replaced it 3x due to one of the bolts got bent into the engine block that ruined it’s alignment, the reason why piston on pump kept breaking. But got everything sorted out now and runs without a problem at all. 0-60 4 secs, tops at 145mph and still going (waze recorded speed was 156mph not sure if waze is accurate).

Before 2011 HSE LUX

Diagnosed by Land Rover dealership then price quote was given of labor and expenses, that my uncle decided to scrap the truck, I ended up purchasing it from him not running and towed it back home.

Overheated engine with warped pistons and cylinder head due to the spring within thermostat Housing that holds the sensor broke in 3 pieces.

Circa January 2019

Project 5.0 Heart transplant

07-01-20 (4,000 miles in since high pressure fuel pump was replaced) and never had an error code pop up.

It’s actually a 2011 HSE LUX that I updated into the newer look, the same as my white LR4 2012 HSE (217,000 miles currently on single original engine Never overheated) still runs the same as this black one though a bit heavier with 20” rims on 285/55/20.

Attached Thumbnails Interchangeability? AJ133 from Jag into LR4-ed3456eb-20a0-434d-a971-084e3c809ae6.jpeg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Stan2.4:
Bassist169 (11-05-2020), Panthro (05-11-2022)
Old 07-08-2020, 11:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow! Good work man, I love these vehicles and since they started using the jaguar engines I loved them more. I bought a 2010 RR HSE LUX very cheap from someone that ran it hot and scrapped the engine, they tried to fix it but the block got damaged so I picked it up and found a 2012 XF donor. I already started prepping for the pull while the engine is in transit.

Originally Posted by Stan2.4
yes sir, Yes sir, had a bit of problem with one of the high pressure fuel pump and replaced it 3x due to one of the bolts got bent into the engine block that ruined it’s alignment, the reason why piston on pump kept breaking. But got everything sorted out now and runs without a problem at all. 0-60 4 secs, tops at 145mph and still going (waze recorded speed was 156mph not sure if waze is accurate).

Before 2011 HSE LUX

Diagnosed by Land Rover dealership then price quote was given of labor and expenses, that my uncle decided to scrap the truck, I ended up purchasing it from him not running and towed it back home.

Overheated engine with warped pistons and cylinder head due to the spring within thermostat Housing that holds the sensor broke in 3 pieces.

Circa January 2019

Project 5.0 Heart transplant

07-01-20 (4,000 miles in since high pressure fuel pump was replaced) and never had an error code pop up.

It’s actually a 2011 HSE LUX that I updated into the newer look, the same as my white LR4 2012 HSE (217,000 miles currently on single original engine Never overheated) still runs the same as this black one though a bit heavier with 20” rims on 285/55/20.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:44 PM

Stan, You have just about made my year with your post! I came across this thread early this year while looking for some answers My 2011 LR4 overheated and cooked the engine about a year ago. The lone Land Rover repair center here quoted me about 10k for a new motor and installation. After researching the AJ133 I went back asking them if we could use the motor out of a Jag since they are the same internals (and are considerably cheaper) and they told me that it wasn't compatible. I have had the truck sitting in my driveway ever since then, just waiting for the time and resources to try to figure out how to bring it back to life. I was also told that the only way to remove the engine on the LR4 was by lifting the body. While I have done my fair share of engine work and motor swaps with my Audi, I couldn't have done it the first time without help from the DIY community; something that doesn't really seem to exist for the LR4. So without access to a lift for an extended period I really felt like I was SOL until I saved up to pay a shop to do it. The fact that you did this on your own AND with the Jaguar engine has changed my outlook on the whole project and has given me hope! How difficult was everything? Would it be possible for me to pick your brain about a couple things when they inevitably come up?

Seriously, awesome job! Bravo!
Thank You!

Old 07-05-2021, 02:08 PM
Default Bare Blocks

Good afternoon. I have a similar question, are the bare engine blocks (minus any internals) the same for all ‘10-‘13 5.0L variants? (Jag/rover, naturally aspirated/supercharged)?

Bought a 2011 Project Range Rover Sport Supercharged that previous owner had put a hole in the side of the block. Looking at used engine blocks there is a price difference between the naturally aspirated versions and the supercharged versions (bare block, no rotating assembly), and i can’t find out why as I believe the castings are the same. Is this incorrect? (Again, talking bare block, not rotating assembly which I know is different)

Old 03-16-2022, 04:57 PM
Received 193 Likes on 144 Posts

Late reply but just in case, SC version has piston oiling jets NA doesn't. Not sure how important that really is in normal life.