Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Jaguar Engines & transmissions (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/jaguar-engines-transmissions-47/)
-   -   Intercooler Upgrade.....laminova (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/jaguar-engines-transmissions-47/intercooler-upgrade-laminova-37757/)

Sean B 06-07-2010 01:36 PM

Intercooler Upgrade.....laminova

Just a thought at this stage, but thinking of chopping a pair intercoolers, and installing laminova cores, I found these things really do make a difference, and as anyone who's pushed the s/c engine knows, heat is a negative....

Lotus install
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...rcooler-73222/

Nissan
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24057

Now is it worth it? I'm thinking about the future of an engine I'm building. I want it to produce as much reliable power as possible, and looking at these cores, temps and power, it must be a good thing?

Views welcome

Panthro 06-08-2010 10:03 AM

Why don't you just go with the EuroToys one?

SteveM 06-08-2010 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Panthro (Post 211557)
Why don't you just go with the EuroToys one?

He's talking about the intercoolers/intake manifolds and not the heat exchanger/radiator.

I have thought about using laminova cores and making custom intercoolers, but I don't have the fabricating ability myself and paying a fabricator could be expensive.
Jason from Nameless Performance mentioned something about making custom intercoolers on his website and I suggested he use laminova cores.

GGabriel 06-29-2015 10:45 PM

breakthrough for cooling

http://www.laminova.se/technology/intercooler

Pretty impressive. This is a great product. The more I read about them the more impressed I am. I thought you'd have to cut, swap cores and weld up (which aluminum is lovely to weld) but now I'm thinking one could just be added to the circuit. Am I off in this line of thought?

Cheers,

Mvirgil 07-04-2015 08:48 AM

Laminova cores would be an awesome upgrade! it would be interesting to know the actual efficiency of our current cores to know if they are really a hindrance or not. No matter what the heaton is the biggest issue.

I think your initial impression of the cores is correct: current charge coolers need oem cores removed to accommodate the laminova housing and core.

avos 07-06-2015 12:21 AM

I had send one of my intercoolers to them somewhere in 2009 or so, but they didn't think much of an improvement could be made in this particular setup. What makes these units hard to use if the specific in/out ports in combination with the small package we have to get this flow then optimized.

GGabriel 07-06-2015 12:21 PM

The intercooler boxes will have to be cut open and tig welded back together. Welding aluminum is so cool. My favorite metal to weld. No slag, no smoke, no clean up after you finishing welding, it's the best..

I ordered 4 of the intercooler tubes. I'll see how much of a size difference I'll have to make the current coolers when they arrive.

GGabriel 07-14-2015 01:11 AM

They came in and man oh man are these cool looking...my daughter thought they were reactor cores, lol, as she pulled them out of the boxes...

I have to get though last weekends project (changed the Transmission oil, filter, removed and cleaned the trans valve body, that electrical plug, and assorted gaskets and O rings. 2 stripped torx bolts took an extra day!

Last (last) weekend the supercharger was off an this weekend the transmission was apart...I'll try to take some pictures of the cores next to the factory intercooler boxes.

Mvirgil 07-15-2015 08:22 AM

very cool! Are you going to machine up core housings or weld prefab ones? I was thinking you might have to make brackets to hold or act as a reference to re-assemble or mock up the inter-cooler when you cut the charge cooler out. Would love to see some reactor core pictures when you get the time!

GGabriel 07-17-2015 01:32 AM

Did this work?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...e4971cc9ad.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...4d464df9cc.jpg

I haven't posted in quite whilewhile

GGabriel 07-17-2015 11:40 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...a651deb306.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...574e91b4b1.jpg

It was pouring outside so I just took photos of them on my bed. I'll take some with them next to the factory inter cooler (after cooler?) boxes this weekend.

Mvirgil 07-18-2015 08:17 AM

totally frosty!

Count Iblis 07-31-2015 11:48 PM

We looked at Laminova cores when I was at Jag for AJ133 (I don't know what that engine ended up having) and were quite impressed with the results.

Intercoolers are a balance of heat dissipation, airflow distribution (for cylinder to cylinder variation-itself already a challenge on an uneven firing V8- and restriction. But of course, with all the super appointed internet experts on forums, everyone already knew that- didn't they? ;-)

avos 08-01-2015 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Count Iblis (Post 1278147)
We looked at Laminova cores when I was at Jag for AJ133 (I don't know what that engine ended up having) and were quite impressed with the results.

Intercoolers are a balance of heat dissipation, airflow distribution (for cylinder to cylinder variation-itself already a challenge on an uneven firing V8- and restriction. But of course, with all the super appointed internet experts on forums, everyone already knew that- didn't they? ;-)

Well Goodmorning (for me at least).

I see you can’t let go ;-)

Your highness, you have already shared that bit of info many moons ago about the cylinder distribution as far as I can remember.

My humble thoughts are that just replacing the laminova cores in the intercooler casting will not make a significant change.

If you want to do it right, you would have to redesign the flow from the supercharger outlet and the intercoolers itself as well (more like the 4.2 Stype has, where its obvious to see it could work there better), at least that is what I had in mind, but that was just to much work and I didn't had the means/possibilities to make something like that.

So why not help us peasants, and explain to GGabriel how he needs to place the cores and what sort of benefit he will get in the existing coolers, I may be interested as well if Laminova wasn't correct in their statement, and if you will get a significant increase.

Count Iblis 08-01-2015 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by avos (Post 1278159)
Well Goodmorning (for me at least).

I see you can’t let go ;-)

Your highness, you have already shared that bit of info many moons ago about the cylinder distribution as far as I can remember.

My humble thoughts are that just replacing the laminova cores in the intercooler casting will not make a significant change.

If you want to do it right, you would have to redesign the flow from the supercharger outlet and the intercoolers itself as well (more like the 4.2 Stype has, where its obvious to see it could work there better), at least that is what I had in mind, but that was just to much work and I didn't had the means/possibilities to make something like that.

So why not help us peasants, and explain to GGabriel how he needs to place the cores and what sort of benefit he will get in the existing coolers, I may be interested as well if Laminova wasn't correct in their statement, and if you will get a significant increase.

:icon_eddie::icon_bunny1::icon_naughty::icon_starw ars:

avos 08-01-2015 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Count Iblis (Post 1278174)
:icon_eddie::icon_bunny1::icon_naughty::icon_starw ars:

:icon_worthy:

ronbros 08-10-2015 05:30 PM

it seems that making an engine more powerful gets more expensive, and complicated?
the things we do never seems to end/finish.

we modify one thing and 2 more show up!

Count Iblis 08-17-2015 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by ronbros (Post 1284361)
it seems that making an engine more powerful gets more expensive, and complicated?
the things we do never seems to end/finish.

we modify one thing and 2 more show up!

Ron, I think you hit the nail on the head there. Its like a case of bottle necks, and one constraint or removing one constraint effects another.

Avos, your esteemed highness, I don't know the correct way to place the laminova although im convinced it will provide a benefit if done correctly. You need to do CFD analysis, preferably transient.

The S type R intercooler layout, we did iteratively was supposed to give a big benefit over the rear intercooler type but in practice it didn't offer much in terms of distribution/restriction- even with the guide vains we put in on a prototype

What does the new Aj133 have in terms of intercooling? The biggest benefit as I recall was that the intercooler arrangement was one, an not split- which was always the achilies heal on the AJ27 SC and AJ33 SC as its grouping the cylinders incorrectly

Mvirgil 08-17-2015 09:49 AM

i do have blue Ridge Numeric's CFD design 9.0 on my computer! A relic of dreams long past: Intercooled intake manifolds for a jag v12...

ronbros 08-17-2015 02:40 PM

not to forget water injection, on boost conditions, seems BMW has started a program.

to refill the resivoir tank they collect the Air condition water, and on light load cruising it is pumped back into the water injection tank!

for sure an interesting approach, because as we know just when you need it the tank is on empty!
my 1st introduction to water/alky injection was around late 1962, guy came into my shop with a new GM Oldsmobile 215 aluminum V8, turbocharged from the factory!

said no power, took it for a ride and sure enough, a dog, turbo would not boost, just bypass air, i had no idea what to do(neither did the dealer).

found out month later the water tank was empty, and it used level sensors and would not allow boost!
supposedly that Olds was the 1st production car with turbo, and water/alchohol injection!