Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/jaguar-forums-feedback-suggestion-center-18/)
-   -   Afraid to post on here.. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/jaguar-forums-feedback-suggestion-center-18/afraid-post-here-135032/)

A15FS 01-17-2015 11:16 PM

Afraid to post on here..

For fear you will attack my opinion... I have been watching this forum for some time and have been on several automotive forums in the past, but have never found any to be so one sidedly aggressive and defensive. I understand Jaguar owners sticking together, but damn guys! We are here to converse, exchange experiences and opinions...not attack each other! It's okay if someone has an opinion different than yours. Don't make the image that others have of the brand a reality... that we are all a bunch of pricks! It couldn't be farther than the truth!

OzRisk 01-17-2015 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by A15FS (Post 1141778)
For fear you will attack my opinion... I have been watching this forum for some time and have been on several automotive forums in the past, but have never found any to be so one sidedly aggressive and defensive. I understand Jaguar owners sticking together, but damn guys! We are here to converse, exchange experiences and opinions...not attack each other! It's okay if someone has an opinion different than yours. Don't make the image that others have of the brand a reality... that we are all a bunch of pricks! It couldn't be farther than the truth!

Can't say I share your view. I joined this forum several weeks ago, and, by and large, I've found the members to be overwhelmingly positive and welcoming. Certainly they have lots of good advice, even if they have a diverse range of opinions.

I assume you're referring to the thread about the black bonnet/roof on the firesand car. Cosmetic appeal is highly subjective, and radical ideas usually polarize opinion.

A bit of grown up banter and stirring never hurt anyone, as long as it's not personal.

Mate, if that sort of stuff upsets you, don't come to Australia. You'll be seriously upset and confused 10 minutes after you leave the airport. We have very thick skins down here, and don't take ourselves too seriously! :icon_stooge:

Oh, welcome, by the way.

Tell us more about your car and yourself. Don't be afraid to post - what would you like to say?

shift 01-17-2015 11:26 PM

??? I've been on this forum for about 6 months now (since getting the f-type). not seeing the same thing you are. sure, people have different opinions and aren't afraid to voice it. but it's been very friendly. no personal attacks or anything like that. not sure where you are seeing these attacks. now, jaguar demographics is probably a little older...and as you get older, you just don't care as much about what other people think....so maybe these opinions seem harsher and less PC, but it's just that, opinions...

Gippsland 01-17-2015 11:50 PM

I don't know what your opinion is unless you post it. I have been on this forum for a few years and haven't seen any one attacked.

I seen posts where some have a brought a Jag and hated it,but not attacked for their opinion. It is a Jaguar forum so yes we are biased for the brand is that what you allude to? Maybe copy and paste a little of what prompted the post.

schraderade 01-18-2015 02:14 AM

It's because we have a lot of combative emoticons and we have to find a way to use em.

:icon_poop: :icon_viking: :icon_fryingpan: :icon_deadhorse: :icon_qtank: :icon_bricks: :icon_starwars: :icon_smash: :icon_slapcry: :icon_hunter:

Gippsland 01-18-2015 02:32 AM

I will have to concede that on a post regarding $10K that there were comments removed by a Mod.

This is unusual and I have not seen a Mod need to do this before. For this one instance I DO see your issue. Unfortunate! Don't be put off for such a tiny minority.

Cambo 01-18-2015 03:57 AM

Opinions are always welcome. As are counter-opinions. You know the old saying, opinions are like arses, everyones got one.

But when disagreements spill over into personal attacks, mods will step in.

It does not happen often, but when it does it's dealt with.

Lovemonet 01-18-2015 04:13 AM

I am only aware of two times the Mods have stepped in and I thought both times were appropriate. Some of you may remember the personal comment to a forum member regarding his question about gloves. I believe the commenter was blocked from posting to that question or removed but have not seen him on here since which, given the comment, is fine with me.

The most recent incident really goes against what the OP is stating as Jim closed the window tinting thread because it seemed as though forum members were piling on in criticizing a members choice of window tint.

The Mods should step in where personal attacks occur unrelated to The subject matter.

mawheele 01-18-2015 05:11 AM

I have to agree with you. I voiced an opinion about JLR's customer service team that was honest, specific and data based. But the moderators became concerned that I might upset them.

Honestly, as someone with responsibility for a social team of my own, I can say that the relationship is symbiotic. They need this forum as much as we need them. However I believe it important to remain respectful and courteous, which was absolutely the case.

swajames 01-18-2015 09:20 AM

I can honestly say that I have absolutely no idea how you could come to this conclusion based on posts in this forum. I really don't see much if any of that at all. Pretty much everyone is here for positive reasons and almost all of the debate is civil, reasonable and generally balanced.

RickyJay52 01-18-2015 09:22 AM

Post deleted.

Foosh 01-18-2015 09:43 AM

A15,

I come down on the side that this forum is perhaps the most "civilized" of any of the dozen or so car forums I've been on over the last decade. If you want to see a "shark attack" or full-on street fighting, you really out to lurk at the Corvette forums. It's major league nasty there, quite frequently. BMW forums can also get pretty hot.

Having said that, the moderators here seem to be far less tolerant of personal insults and fighting on the forum, and I don't think that is bad thing. As in all situations, "strangers" are treated a little more roughly especially when they start out on their first several visits criticizing things. Once people get to know you a bit and if you present good arguments rationally, they are far more willing to consider constructive criticism.

I don't think you've done any wrong here, so stick around. It is generally a great place to have balanced discussions.

Foosh 01-18-2015 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mawheele (Post 1141856)
I have to agree with you. I voiced an opinion about JLR's customer service team that was honest, specific and data based. But the moderators became concerned that I might upset them.

Honestly, as someone with responsibility for a social team of my own, I can say that the relationship is symbiotic. They need this forum as much as we need them. However I believe it important to remain respectful and courteous, which was absolutely the case.

Mawheel,

I remember the sequence of events you referring to regarding the Meridian stereo system issues. The reason the moderators stepped in and invited someone to leave was because of a very heavy-handed attack on a JLR rep who was trying to do the best they could to help on the forum. I think the moderators did the right thing in that case.

You're still here, and I think your comments were strong, but fair. That type of controversy is rare here.

Mikey 01-18-2015 10:27 AM

I might have missed something but what opinion do you have on what subject that makes you believe you'll be attacked?

Don't tell me you want to wander into the oil/filter/additive/octane/ethanol arena! :icon_bump1:

Unhingd 01-18-2015 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lovemonet (Post 1141839)
I am only aware of two times the Mods have stepped in and I thought both times were appropriate.

+1

Unhingd 01-18-2015 11:29 AM

By comparison to the MINI forum, this forum has the decorum of high tea with the duchess. Just don't bring up tinting or second amendment rights. :icon_goofygrin:

StealthPilot 01-18-2015 11:36 AM

Your action is contrary to your title.

MI-FType 01-18-2015 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lovemonet (Post 1141839)
Some of you may remember the personal comment to a forum member regarding his question about gloves. I believe the commenter was blocked from posting to that question or removed but have not seen him on here since which, given the comment, is fine with me.

Yeah... Don't anyone comment on driving gloves! LOL right, Schraderade?

Fortunately, that guy didn't last long!

phillyweb 01-18-2015 12:13 PM

This is what happens when you give every kid a trophy. When someone is raised in a protective bubble, and never criticized, their thin skin can't handle the slightest comment later in life when they have to face the real world.

Yeah man don't go to Australia or any major city in the northeast like Philly, Boston, or New York.

A little bit of trash talk is part of being a car guy, or car culture.

schraderade 01-18-2015 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by MI-FType (Post 1142116)
Yeah... Don't anyone comment on driving gloves! LOL right, Schraderade?

Fortunately, that guy didn't last long!

That's right! The gloves came off! :icon_laugh: