Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Introducing Infinite Scroll

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by TilleyJon
I have to say I think the inline pictures are a backward step
+1

Originally Posted by TilleyJon
...but the related posts is almost useless, as another poster said he does not care how to change a part on another model, related posts should be filtered by the specific forum someone is looking at not all forums, current models and classics have very little in common for example.
Related posts is a PITA.

If you're introducing new functionality, then by all means publicise it, but please default it to OFF. If' we're interested we will try it and that means that we will also have found the on/off switch!

My bank just did this. The original online worked rather well and was intuitive. The new, bleeding-edge version doesn't and isn't, and still full of bugs. Bah! Humbug!

While I'm in rant mode, please can we have the icon descriptions back. Much easier to find using a text search.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (09-25-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,951 Likes on 5,296 Posts

DITCH THE BLACK PAGE!!
IT'S A GIANT PAIN!!
It makes me way bad words every time I come in here!
I don't like saying bad words!
(';')

Old 09-24-2018, 12:52 PM
IB Staff
Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

We're working to improve the relevancy of Related Threads. This will include specifying the threads to only the specific forum you're in, as well as adjusting the overall algorithm to better understand the content of each thread and post. In the meantime, as I mentioned above, you can off Related Threads on desktop via your User CP's Edit Options page. I'll also pass along the image size feedback you guys shared.

Originally Posted by LnrB
DITCH THE BLACK PAGE!!
IT'S A GIANT PAIN!!
It makes me way bad words every time I come in here!
I don't like saying bad words!
(';')
Just to clarify, are you seeing the black overlay screen across multiple threads? If so, can you please let me know what device you're using (i.e. PC or Mac) what browser you're on, and whether or not you've disabled cookies in your browser? Thanks!

Old 09-24-2018, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for your reply, Jason.
When I go to New Members page (I always start there first) and attempt to reply to a new member, as soon as I click on Reply this BLACK PAGE comes up In My Face! I have to leave and re-enter the New Members section. Once I do that, no more BLACK PAGE and I can continue reading whichever pages or threads I want to read.

EDIT: I neglected to mention how much better REPLY works now./edit

Windows 7 with Chrome, ad blocker and cookie blocker enabled (the reasons I put up with Chrome).
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 09-24-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

"Infinite Scroll" is stupid, but not as bad on Jaguar Forums as it is on OTHER forums that have threads with hundreds of pages or more. Think about 2,488 posts WITH PICTURES loaded infinitely, and then have someone with a tiny little older phone trying to NAVIGATE through almost three thousand posts on One Page. Idiotic. That little phone has to Load and Display maybe 2,000 pictures???? I don't even bother using my phone for forums, just my desktop.

The ONLY good thing about "Infinite Scroll" (doesn't matter if 'everyone is going to it') is that it can be TURNED OFF!!!

You really biffed it when you added it in here.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:16 PM
IB Staff

Thank you for your reply, Jason.
When I go to New Members page (I always start there first) and attempt to reply to a new member, as soon as I click on Reply this BLACK PAGE comes up In My Face! I have to leave and re-enter the New Members section. Once I do that, no more BLACK PAGE and I can continue reading whichever pages or threads I want to read.

EDIT: I neglected to mention how much better REPLY works now./edit

Windows 7 with Chrome, ad blocker and cookie blocker enabled (the reasons I put up with Chrome).
(';')
Thanks for those details. The overlay we're using to introduce Infinite Scroll's new new features is currently dependent on cookies. Essentially, we add a cookie when you first see it, and that cookie tells the site not to show it to you again going forward. We are looking at potentially adjusting how this is implemented, but for the time being, you can avoid seeing it repeatedly by allowing cookies for jaguarforums.com (This also has the added benefit of the site remembering your login between visits).

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
"Infinite Scroll" is stupid, but not as bad on Jaguar Forums as it is on OTHER forums that have threads with hundreds of pages or more. Think about 2,488 posts WITH PICTURES loaded infinitely, and then have someone with a tiny little older phone trying to NAVIGATE through almost three thousand posts on One Page. Idiotic. That little phone has to Load and Display maybe 2,000 pictures???? I don't even bother using my phone for forums, just my desktop.

The ONLY good thing about "Infinite Scroll" (doesn't matter if 'everyone is going to it') is that it can be TURNED OFF!!!

You really biffed it when you added it in here.
We've implemented a system that rolls only a few pages in and out of your browser at a time. What this means is that if you're on, say, page 52 of a thread, we're only going to display the previous page (51) and the next page (53) in your browser. As you then scroll down to page 53, page 54 will be loaded in, but page 51 will be phased out in favor of page 52. This helps to significantly decrease the number of photos your phone (or computer) needs to have loaded at any one time.

LnrB (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 05:14 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Change is hard.

The following 3 users liked this post by Muddydog:
Cee Jay (10-03-2018), LnrB (09-27-2018), o1xjr (09-27-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 06:33 PM

Well that was just a little joke, I didn't mean to shut down the whole post.

Today I had the same problem as SinF with the "check out what's new" page superimposed on my screen, but without the charcoal background (which effectively locks the user out of interacting with any element unless they know where the "exit, click here" button is hiding at the bottom.)

Firefox quantum, iMac.

Attached Thumbnails Introducing Infinite Scroll-photo520.jpg  
Old 09-28-2018, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Site's now a clunky mess for me on a windows laptop.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

I simply enabled cookies for This Site Only, and everything seems to work fine.
The Obnoxious BLACK PAGE hasn't appeared since I did that.
(';')

Norri (10-02-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 01:57 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Well that was just a little joke, I didn't mean to shut down the whole post.

Today I had the same problem as SinF with the "check out what's new" page superimposed on my screen, but without the charcoal background (which effectively locks the user out of interacting with any element unless they know where the "exit, click here" button is hiding at the bottom.)

Firefox quantum, iMac.
Which version number of Firefox Quantum are you running?

Originally Posted by King Charles
Site's now a clunky mess for me on a windows laptop.
Is there anything specific that you find to be particularly clunky? And if you don't mind me asking, which version of Windows are you currently running?

I simply enabled cookies for This Site Only, and everything seems to work fine.
The Obnoxious BLACK PAGE hasn't appeared since I did that.
(';')
Glad to hear the issue is now resolved for you.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Clunky mess on Safari too, at least with infinite scroll turned on. Fortunately we can disable it. As you open a thread that's been added too, the loading starts. You scroll down but as you do and pages above fill in the loading, you're taken back up and it takes too long to scroll to the last message.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:42 PM

Version 62.0.3. I can recreate it consistently by clearing my cookies and cache. As you can see, "Exit Guide" text is in white, and if against a white background it can't be seen for the user to know how to make the help screen disappear. In this example there's a picture behind it, so you can just make it out.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Jason
Which version number of Firefox Quantum are you running?

Is there anything specific that you find to be particularly clunky? And if you don't mind me asking, which version of Windows are you currently running?

Glad to hear the issue is now resolved for you.
Windows 7 Pro, the page loads slower,the drop in prompts up top,the related posts etc. It's all clunky & aggressive, the site used to flow seamlessly now the seams abound. I even tried it on Windows 10 as well, same thing.

Edit :
Just disabled infinite scroll & related threads = much better. Seems Jag forums are much like my X308, over engineered in the name of vanity lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 10-03-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Cee Jay (10-11-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 05:03 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Version 62.0.3. I can recreate it consistently by clearing my cookies and cache. As you can see, "Exit Guide" text is in white, and if against a white background it can't be seen for the user to know how to make the help screen disappear. In this example there's a picture behind it, so you can just make it out.
Thanks for the screenshot and information. We unfortunately haven't been able to recreate the issue on our own Firefox 62.0.3. What, if any, adds-on do you have installed in Firefox? This can help us better reecreate the experience you're having. If you prefer, you're welcome to PM me the list.

Originally Posted by King Charles
Windows 7 Pro, the page loads slower,the drop in prompts up top,the related posts etc. It's all clunky & aggressive, the site used to flow seamlessly now the seams abound. I even tried it on Windows 10 as well, same thing.

Edit :
Just disabled infinite scroll & related threads = much better. Seems Jag forums are much like my X308, over engineered in the name of vanity lol.
Thanks, we're continuing to look at ways to streamline the overall experience, so I'll pass this feedback along. I'm glad to hear disabling infinite scroll did the trick for you.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

I came here to complain about Infinite scroll too. I keep getting lost and having to start over to TRY to get back to what I was reading. I am a computer stumbler and can barely feel my way through many computer things. I will try the "disable" option. Fingers crossed.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

Infinite scroll no more! I can't find any way of disabling it in my edit options! Was the feature removed and now I am stuck with infinite scroll? Plus once I selected infinite scroll, I could no longer "Quote" a reply and when I do reply, the reply is way-way-way down on the bottom of my screen after the infinite scroll on the "related Thread" ends. How do I get rid of infinite scroll?

This is really putting a damper on my forum experience!

Old 12-31-2018, 12:39 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Tijoe
Infinite scroll no more! I can't find any way of disabling it in my edit options! Was the feature removed and now I am stuck with infinite scroll? Plus once I selected infinite scroll, I could no longer "Quote" a reply and when I do reply, the reply is way-way-way down on the bottom of my screen after the infinite scroll on the "related Thread" ends. How do I get rid of infinite scroll?

This is really putting a damper on my forum experience!
You should see a toggle to "Disable Infinite Scroll" at the bottom of the Edit Options page's Thread Displays Option section, but no worries, I went ahead and disabled infinite scroll on your account for you. You should now have the old pagination setup again.

To help us better troubleshoot the quote issue you experienced, can you please let me know what device and browser you used when the error occurred?

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2018, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

Attached is a screen shot of the bottom of my options page. I do not see any infinite scroll on the bottom of the Options page.
When I select any "quote" box my screen turns grey and locks up the thread. I have to go back then forward again to get the thread I was reading.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Go to User CP - Settings & Options - Edit Options - Thread Display Options:

Graham

IB Jason (01-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Introducing Infinite Scroll