Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Introducing Infinite Scroll

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

Graham.

My options page does not display the infinite scroll selection. You stated that you reset my infinite scroll. No change so far. I still have infinite scroll.
First I closed my link to the forum. When I opened it again, no change.
Second I closed my Google Chrome browser and opened it again, no change still have infinite scroll and it is not displayed in my edit options page.
3rd, closed Google Chrome, and rebooted my laptop. - No change still have infinite scroll and selection isn't available in my edit options page.

Joe.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:13 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

You need to scroll down quite a way... Make sure you select the disable button and then save - I had the same issue yesterday with this :-)

I have stuck to using the Infinite scroll function for several months now, because I believe that sometimes improvements take time to settle, and for someone (OK me) to adjust to, and I had to give it a fair go. However as of yesterday I have gone back to the old method of thread display.

My reasons being:

On a low spec machine such as I have here, it slows my progress down alot - not just for this site but also for any other pages I have open at the same time - receiving warnings telling me a page is slowing down my browser and do I want to wait or close.

The thread is slow to load up as it is pulling in the entire thread rather than just a page

When you move to the bottom of the thread with your browser drag bar you sometimes end up on the next related thread not the bottom of your current thread

After disabling the function I then performed the same functions as I normally do and even allowing for the time to go from page to page it is much faster - I am able to get to specific thread sections, and the end of thread without delays or issues.

I believe that whilst the concept of the feature is good, a lot of users just don't have the top end internet access or machine processing in order to make this function flow well - each to their own, and I do believe this function will pay off in the long run, but it is just too resource hungry, and laggy on my current hardware etc to be of use at the moment.

Please keep up the work though because often its the little features you add that don't seem to be important that make a huge difference :-)

Old 01-03-2019, 04:26 PM
IB Staff
Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Tijoe
Graham.

My options page does not display the infinite scroll selection. You stated that you reset my infinite scroll. No change so far. I still have infinite scroll.
First I closed my link to the forum. When I opened it again, no change.
Second I closed my Google Chrome browser and opened it again, no change still have infinite scroll and it is not displayed in my edit options page.
3rd, closed Google Chrome, and rebooted my laptop. - No change still have infinite scroll and selection isn't available in my edit options page.

Joe.
Just to clarify, are you viewing the full desktop version of Jaguar Forums or our mobile site? Please note that the option to disable infinite scroll is strictly a feature of the full desktop site, which I've confirmed is disabled for you.

Originally Posted by SteveSheldon
You need to scroll down quite a way... Make sure you select the disable button and then save - I had the same issue yesterday with this :-)

I have stuck to using the Infinite scroll function for several months now, because I believe that sometimes improvements take time to settle, and for someone (OK me) to adjust to, and I had to give it a fair go. However as of yesterday I have gone back to the old method of thread display.

My reasons being:

On a low spec machine such as I have here, it slows my progress down alot - not just for this site but also for any other pages I have open at the same time - receiving warnings telling me a page is slowing down my browser and do I want to wait or close.

The thread is slow to load up as it is pulling in the entire thread rather than just a page

When you move to the bottom of the thread with your browser drag bar you sometimes end up on the next related thread not the bottom of your current thread

After disabling the function I then performed the same functions as I normally do and even allowing for the time to go from page to page it is much faster - I am able to get to specific thread sections, and the end of thread without delays or issues.

I believe that whilst the concept of the feature is good, a lot of users just don't have the top end internet access or machine processing in order to make this function flow well - each to their own, and I do believe this function will pay off in the long run, but it is just too resource hungry, and laggy on my current hardware etc to be of use at the moment.

Please keep up the work though because often its the little features you add that don't seem to be important that make a huge difference :-)
Thanks for the feedback, Steve! We're constantly exploring ways to speed up the load times and overall "weight" of infinite scroll to make the best possible experience for all computer specs and internet speeds. It's already led to improvements like the staggered "lazy loading" of images as you scroll down a page, like I mentioned earlier in this thread. We plan to keep iterating over the coming weeks and months to make it as smooth as we can.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

[Just to clarify, are you viewing the full desktop version of Jaguar Forums or our mobile site? Please note that the option to disable infinite scroll is strictly a feature of the full desktop site, which I've confirmed is disabled for you.]

"I am on a mid level I7 based laptop work station. Plenty of graphics power and have very fast internet download speed.
As I wrote before, the "Infinite Scroll" nor "related thread" options show up in my forum options. (Another image shown below)

Old 01-03-2019, 05:24 PM
IB Staff

Thanks for the additional details, Tijoe. I spoke with our tech team and we believe we figured out what happened. It looks like you're currently viewing a no-longer-supported theme for Jaguar Forums. We disabled access to the theme a while ago, but your browser likely cookied the setting before it was disabled. If you log out, clear you browser's cookies and cache, then log back in, you should see the regular/supported site layout and the infinite scroll options within your Edit Options Page. Because I already adjusted your profile, "Disable Infinite Scroll" will be pre-selected for you.

Please let me know if that does the trick.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2019, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah! That did the trick.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by IB Jason
Thanks for the additional details, Tijoe. I spoke with our tech team and we believe we figured out what happened. It looks like you're currently viewing a no-longer-supported theme for Jaguar Forums. We disabled access to the theme a while ago, but your browser likely cookied the setting before it was disabled. If you log out, clear you browser's cookies and cache, then log back in, you should see the regular/supported site layout and the infinite scroll options within your Edit Options Page. Because I already adjusted your profile, "Disable Infinite Scroll" will be pre-selected for you.

Please let me know if that does the trick.

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
IB Jason (01-04-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 11:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do I turn off infinite scroll and related threads on the mobile site?

I've disabled them on desktop, but they are still appearing on mobile.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:56 AM
IB Staff

The option to disable infinite scroll and related threads is a desktop-only feature, but we are working to improve how related threads are displayed on our mobile site to better distinguish them from the initial thread you entered.

The following 2 users liked this post by IB Jason:
JV911 (02-25-2019), Norri (02-27-2019)