Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/jaguar-forums-feedback-suggestion-center-18/)
-   -   Lump sub forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/jaguar-forums-feedback-suggestion-center-18/lump-sub-forum-131316/)

yarpos 11-17-2014 01:23 AM

Lump sub forum

Is there a need for an area to discuss LUMP issues? May tend the become a chevy forum but would help consolidate info on interfaces to the jag world of instruments, a/c , fuel systems etc

GGG 11-17-2014 03:38 AM

LUMPING is certainly something that polarises opinion with the purists in one corner insisting a Jaguar must have a Jaguar powertrain and the modifiers in the other corner who see a Chevy as an upgrade!

It is largely to be found amongst USA members although a few Australian members have fitted alternative engines from necessity. In the UK, there is rarely a problem in sourcing used Jaguar engines so it is a rarity here.

Even with an alternative powertrain, to me the vehicle is still a Jaguar and the majority of issues will be shared with other owners of completely original models. The logical place for discussion therefore seems to be to be in the existing model tech forums (this will mainly be XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III) rather than setting up a new and exclusive forum. After all, we are about bringing Jaguar owners together on the forum and not making anyone feel excluded or sidelined.

I'll be interested to read opinions on this topic. It could be appropriate to have a 'sticky' in the relevant existing model tech forums to bring LUMPING information together and make it easier to find if there is sufficient demand.

Graham

o1xjr 11-17-2014 03:46 AM

That will leave us no one in the S1/2/3 forum to hassle.

Mkii250 11-17-2014 09:43 AM

Lol Clarke no worries plenty of crossover issues to bring the lumpers back.

I have supported a lump forum in the past and continue to do so for the reasons Yarpos suggested.

yarpos 11-17-2014 02:27 PM

I dont expect a big demand from existing lumpers, its more about people coming along in future looking at pros/cons/issues. The sticky approach would achieve the same thing.

moronthethrottle 11-20-2014 09:52 AM

This suggestion/question pops up every now and then. I'm supportive of the moderators decision to leave well enough alone.

Spending a small amount of time on another forum that has an individual Lump section, I can tell you that it doesn't generate a significant amount of threads. It seems once the initial conversion process is complete, new threads are scarce. After that, most posters end up back in the model specific sub forum.

I think Graham's idea of placing a sticky covering many typical questions and some quick links is the best way to go.

primaz 03-28-2015 09:11 AM

If you do searches here you can find people like me whom have installed aV8 into our Jag, mine is a 3.8s

I SPECIFICALLY JOINED THIS FORUM FOR THE VERY REASON OF THE CONCEPTS AND ATTITUDES CREATED BY THE TERM "lumps" I used to go to the other Jag site .org and will NEVER GO THERE AGAIN. The reason just the term "lumps" is a negative connotation. It creates a polarized and very hostile environment. Much of the time an engine swap is better to talk to people of the same model Jag. Separating it a BAD idea! At the other site when I posted anything even good how to tips of say installing after market off set wheels I was attacked with negative attitude there as the creation of a "lump" section creates attitudes everywhere of, if you change anything on a Jag you are look down upon.

I can go on for pages of the examples I encountered all very hostile and NEGATIVE!

What is better is to make the search features easy and powerful and continue to have moderators step in quickly if people complain or make negative posts that create this purist stock vs modified camp war or other negative postings. Is it easy to report a negative posting or comment here? That is a good feature to have. Are there things to improve search functions to find similar posts etc?

Please DO NOT create a "lumps" category or I will leave this site!

primaz 03-28-2015 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 1102990)
LUMPING is certainly something that polarises opinion with the purists in one corner insisting a Jaguar must have a Jaguar powertrain and the modifiers in the other corner who see a Chevy as an upgrade!

It is largely to be found amongst USA members although a few Australian members have fitted alternative engines from necessity. In the UK, there is rarely a problem in sourcing used Jaguar engines so it is a rarity here.

Even with an alternative powertrain, to me the vehicle is still a Jaguar and the majority of issues will be shared with other owners of completely original models. The logical place for discussion therefore seems to be to be in the existing model tech forums (this will mainly be XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III) rather than setting up a new and exclusive forum. After all, we are about bringing Jaguar owners together on the forum and not making anyone feel excluded or sidelined.

I'll be interested to read opinions on this topic. It could be appropriate to have a 'sticky' in the relevant existing model tech forums to bring LUMPING information together and make it easier to find if there is sufficient demand.

Graham

I think creating "sticky" is good as long as you do not try to create any separate forums. As I said creating a lump category is BAD. I joined and try to be active to post information etc. I have learned because this site has NO LUMP forum as that created such hostility at the other Jag.org site that I will never go back to that place I will never post any information there again! The goal should be to create an open minded group. I have been a car enthusiast all my life and since owning my Jag this has been the first model I have encountered such arrogant snobbish behavior against modifications, not here but at that other site. Please do not create anything to promote that snobbish behavior. People should be respectful that everyone has the right to do what they want to their car. It is their car and nobody's personal preference should ever attack, isolate, or create any negative comments, etc. Creating a lump and what will result is like promoting a site with the KKK and the Black Panthers not a good idea

LnrB 03-28-2015 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by primaz (Post 1193436)
I think creating "sticky" is good as long as you do not try to create any separate forums. As I said creating a lump category is BAD. I joined and try to be active to post information etc. I have learned because this site has NO LUMP forum as that created such hostility at the other Jag.org site that I will never go back to that place I will never post any information there again! The goal should be to create an open minded group. I have been a car enthusiast all my life and since owning my Jag this has been the first model I have encountered such arrogant snobbish behavior against modifications, not here but at that other site. Please do not create anything to promote that snobbish behavior. People should be respectful that everyone has the right to do what they want to their car. It is their car and nobody's personal preference should ever attack, isolate, or create any negative comments, etc. Creating a lump and what will result is like promoting a site with the KKK and the Black Panthers not a good idea

primaz,
If you drop into the Xj6 section, you'll find a Large proportion of the populace are owners of *Converted* Jaguars (I personally dislike the term Lump, it's a bit like calling a woman a b***h). In fact, we are some of the most active in that section.

I agree, other sites are not very tolerant of those of us who prefer the ease, familiarity, reliability and parts availability of Chevy engines but I feel quite strongly that it's a person's Right to do whatever THEY want to do to THEIR car, according to THEIR individual needs and preferences.

Everyone in here knows I drive a Converted Jaguar. It came to me that way, but I've never felt threatened here by any "Purists." Sometimes they state their individual preferences but most of them are nice about it. After all, they have a right to their opinion too.

In fact, right now I have a thread going that openly shows my engine bay, WITH a V8 right out there in front of God and everybody. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-speed-125023/

There are at least 3 active threads relating to converted Jaguars in that section at this moment. No one messes with the other two guys, who each have Years of conversion experience under their belts and are held in high regard by other members.
(';')

Mkii250 03-28-2015 11:35 AM

Personally, I didn't regard the term "lump" in any negative way. I hope I haven't offended anyone. A Jag is a Jag to me, no matter what's under the hood.

As for your car Nixon, Elinor, I love the Series 2/3 look with XJ40 wheels. What a beauty!

Mikey 03-28-2015 12:25 PM

This is not unique to Jaguars, it's common to all car types I'm familiar with.

Part of the problem is with owners that term every modification they make as an 'upgrade' when in reality it may/may not be any better than the OEM stuff.

Sort of comes across as an insult to those that choose to keep their car in stock configuration fort whatever reason and is frequently accompanied by an attitude that any shade tree mechanic can out-engineer the OEM.

Ensuing fights are no real surprise.

LnrB 03-28-2015 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mkii250 (Post 1193527)
Personally, I didn't regard the term "lump" in any negative way. I hope I haven't offended anyone. A Jag is a Jag to me, no matter what's under the hood.

As for your car Nixon, Elinor, I love the Series 2/3 look with XJ40 wheels. What a beauty!

Thank you, Greg, I can only say you haven't offended me, but I take you as a nice guy, and I have a thick skin.

About my car, her name is Nix. I think Nixon was a POTUS in a previous century. I explained once where I got her name, #4 here;
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-zone-121563/
(';')

Mkii250 03-28-2015 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 1193576)

About my car, her name is Nix. I think Nixon was a POTUS in a previous century. I explained once where I got her name, #4 here;
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-zone-121563/
(';')

WHAT was I thinking? Oops sorry!

primaz 03-29-2015 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 1193475)
primaz,
If you drop into the Xj6 section, you'll find a Large proportion of the populace are owners of *Converted* Jaguars (I personally dislike the term Lump, it's a bit like calling a woman a b***h). In fact, we are some of the most active in that section.

I agree, other sites are not very tolerant of those of us who prefer the ease, familiarity, reliability and parts availability of Chevy engines but I feel quite strongly that it's a person's Right to do whatever THEY want to do to THEIR car, according to THEIR individual needs and preferences.

Everyone in here knows I drive a Converted Jaguar. It came to me that way, but I've never felt threatened here by any "Purists." Sometimes they state their individual preferences but most of them are nice about it. After all, they have a right to their opinion too.

In fact, right now I have a thread going that openly shows my engine bay, WITH a V8 right out there in front of God and everybody. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-speed-125023/

There are at least 3 active threads relating to converted Jaguars in that section at this moment. No one messes with the other two guys, who each have Years of conversion experience under their belts and are held in high regard by other members.
(';')

I think this site has done an excellent job to keep the many different opinions civilized and hope that continues. I agree everyone has their own personal opinion and there is no right way and nobody should impose their personal preference whether it is for a stock Jag or a custom Jag.

I just want the site to stay neutral and not to do anything to promote or create negative environments to foster. I DO take offense to the term "Lumps" and to me it is clear that it is a negative term and creating such a forum will just create more polarization of views and not foster more open minded attitudes. To me anyone whom owns a Jag no matter what engine, or other change is still a Jag. I want everyone to feel comfortable to share ideas and not feel uncomfortable no matter what their preference happens to be (stock or not).

I do not think there should be any forum focused on modified Jags as that will promote the potential of negative postings. I like the format of the forums based on the model of the car. I enjoy the people here and hope that open minded attitude continues. This site is great and I hope all the moderators keep up their good job of squashing any negative postings so that all of the different personal views can continue without any issues.

yarpos 03-29-2015 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by primaz (Post 1193959)
I think this site has done an excellent job to keep the many different opinions civilized and hope that continues. I agree everyone has their own personal opinion and there is no right way and nobody should impose their personal preference whether it is for a stock Jag or a custom Jag.

I just want the site to stay neutral and not to do anything to promote or create negative environments to foster. I DO take offense to the term "Lumps" and to me it is clear that it is a negative term and creating such a forum will just create more polarization of views and not foster more open minded attitudes. To me anyone whom owns a Jag no matter what engine, or other change is still a Jag. I want everyone to feel comfortable to share ideas and not feel uncomfortable no matter what their preference happens to be (stock or not).

I do not think there should be any forum focused on modified Jags as that will promote the potential of negative postings. I like the format of the forums based on the model of the car. I enjoy the people here and hope that open minded attitude continues. This site is great and I hope all the moderators keep up their good job of squashing any negative postings so that all of the different personal views can continue without any issues.

You seem to be imagining issues and division where there are none, and reflecting bad experience elsewhere here. LUMP'd cars are freely discussed and its seems to me there is a pretty universal "whatever floats your boat" attitude around here already, which doesnt need regulation to maintain. BTW I dont take LUMP as a negative at all, I rather like the Less Upkeep More Power acronym even though I am yet to be convinced of the power thing really. The Jag 6er goes OK.

Cheers

o1xjr 03-29-2015 06:51 AM

I like to see the lump guys in here, all good reading and interesting.

GGG , you would be surprised how many lumped XJ's we have here. Not only SBC engines but Holden 308's and 253's, even seen a rover 3500 v8 in one. And a Hemi slant 6.
Even saw lumps quiet common in NZ 25+ years ago.

I'm all for keeping the car on the road,whatever it takes. I just like cars to look stock from a walkby.

I would rather replace my engine with an XK, but if push came to shove I would lump it without batting an eyelid.
Another interesting one I saw a few years ago was a Nissan/Datsun 280Z engine in an S2.

Update: actually was probably 260Z back then.

primaz 03-29-2015 10:38 AM

I agree this site has no issues and I have just voiced my thoughts to ensure the moderators know they are doing a great job and to recommend that they do NOT add a "LUMP" forum as the original start of this post suggested. Yes I had bad experiences with the only other large Jag site and for that reason will NEVER participate there. Jaguar Forums .com just keep up the good work

yarpos 03-29-2015 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by o1xjr (Post 1194006)
I like to see the lump guys in here, all good reading and interesting.

GGG , you would be surprised how many lumped XJ's we have here. Not only SBC engines but Holden 308's and 253's, even seen a rover 3500 v8 in one. And a Hemi slant 6.
Even saw lumps quiet common in NZ 25+ years ago.

I'm all for keeping the car on the road,whatever it takes. I just like cars to look stock from a walkby.

I would rather replace my engine with an XK, but if push came to shove I would lump it without batting an eyelid.
Another interesting one I saw a few years ago was a Nissan/Datsun 280Z engine in an S2.

Update: actually was probably 260Z back then.

Often thought the 4litre Falcon 6 would do a good job as a conversion , especially the turbo.

fldsthedrummer 03-29-2015 10:25 PM

My 87 XJ6 is converted, and is pretty much my daily driver. Mine is the typical LT1 conversion, that I bought with low miles. I live in Kentucky, and with this being my first Jag, it just made more sense to buy one with the Chevy motor. There are no Jaguar mechanics in my area, so this was the best alternative. I still consider it a Jag though. There are lots of folks in the States that have probably saved many of these cars from going to the crusher by doing the conversion. But, I am looking for a 1995-97 XJ6 to replace my wifes now worn Toyota Camry, as these years was probably some of the best Jag motors ever built.

GGG 03-30-2015 03:41 AM

The impression I had when first replying to this thread in November 2014 (post #2) was that, with only a very few exceptions, everyone from the opposite extremes of absolute originality to serious modifications was rubbing along OK and there was no need to intervene in an issue that doesn't really exist here.

Pleased to see from the replies that this is the case. Even more importantly, when opinions do differ they are expressed with courtesy and respect.

Graham