Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/jaguar-forums-feedback-suggestion-center-18/)
-   -   My pet peeve...............(sorry) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/jaguar-forums-feedback-suggestion-center-18/my-pet-peeve-sorry-126727/)

malc4d 09-19-2014 02:04 AM

My pet peeve...............

Pet peeve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll start.

Please please can someone tell me why on most threads people find it necessary to always "quote" the complete posting from just above their posting.

I find this a complete and utter waste of paper..Er...Sorry, screen.

Sorry , l just had to put that out there.

i'll get me coat :o

bhamilton 09-19-2014 02:44 AM

No Kidding

Originally Posted by malc4d (Post 1060775)

I'll start.

Please please can someone tell me why on most threads people find it necessary to always "quote" the complete posting from just above their posting.

:icon_wink:

rgp 09-19-2014 02:52 AM

no idea

I'll start.

no idea

Davidsw 09-19-2014 03:17 AM

Agree especially when there are loads of photos !!

JTsmks 09-19-2014 05:25 AM

I'll start.

I never do that, I don't even know how!

Doug 09-19-2014 08:55 AM

It's useful to selectively quote for context. Or to make it clear which post you are replying to. But quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-time. Lazy, I guess.

You're right, you're right!

No need to apologize. We all have pet peeves, I reckon. One of mine is posters who refuse to use actual paragraphs.

Cheers
DD

LnrB 09-19-2014 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 1060950)
[...]

We all have pet peeves, I reckon. One of mine is posters who refuse to use actual paragraphs.

Cheers
DD

+1 in Spades!
Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company, and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!

There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it, probably losing my place in the maze of words in search of the tidbit the poster was pointing out to us.
(';')

JTsmks 09-19-2014 11:01 AM

I don't think I don't use paragraphs or maybe I do or maybe I don't make complete sentences but i think I do when I have a point to make or maybe I just ramble on from time to time when I feel like I don't know maybe there is some truth to that but then again I may be wrong but if it were the other way then maybe I could see not using paragraphs or rambling sentences because this isn't English lit or maybe it is now that I think of it....what do you think? Shoot, I forgot to quote!!!!

JimC64 09-19-2014 12:14 PM

I'll start.

Lol, ok so this can be particularly useful as stated when replying to a certain member within a thread to show you're replying to their comments
Simple....no need to get your coat..lol

I usually add my comments in bold so they show a little more clearly for others to read.

Originally Posted by JTsmks (Post 1060834)
I never do that, I don't even know how!

JT - Very easy and also very useful buddy.
click on the "quote" button and you can reply to that quote you've included in your post.
To multi quote - simply click on the button next to it "multi quote this message" and repeat for all that you would like to quote, clicking quote on the final one.....job done!

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 1060950)
It's useful to selectively quote for context. Or to make it clear which post you are replying to. But quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-time. Lazy, I guess.

No need to apologize. We all have pet peeves, I reckon. One of mine is posters who refuse to use actual paragraphs.
Cheers DD

Doug - totally agree, it is a bug bear of mine too, breaking up the text makes it so much easier for all to read!
The forum does rely on the written word after all....

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 1061007)
+1 in Spades!
Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company, and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!
There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it, probably losing my place in the maze of words in search of the tidbit the poster was pointing out to us.
(';')

LnrB - Now that is the biggest pain of all I'm afraid.....lonnnnnng unbroken lines of text are almost unreadable, people just generally switch off as you say.
No one wins in this scenario, it is just laziness imo and extremely frustrating

See example below to illustrate......

I'll start Please please can someone tell me why on most threads people find it necessary to always "quote" the complete posting from just above their postinI find this a complete and utter waste of paper..Er...Sorry, screen.Sorry l just had to put that out there. i'll get me coatIt's useful to selectively quote for contextOr to make it clear which post you are replying toBut quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-timeLazy I guess No need to apologizeWe all have pet peeves, I reckon One of mine is posters who refuse to use actual paragraphsCheers DD+1 in Spades!Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it, probably losing my place in the maze of words in search of the tidbit the poster was pointing out to us.I find this a complete and utter waste of paper..Er...Sorry, screen.Sorry , l just had to put that out there. i'll get me coatIt's useful to selectively quote for context. Or to make it clear which post you are replying to. But quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-time. Lazy, I guess+1 in Spades!Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company, and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it, probably losing my place in the maze of words in search of the tidbit the poster was pointing out to usLol, ok so this can be particularly useful as stated when replying to a certain member within a thread to show you're replying to their comments Simple....no need to get your coat..lolDoug - totally agree, it is a bug bear of mine too, breaking up the text makes it so much easier for all to read!The forum does rely on the written word after all....I usually add my comments in bold so they show a little more clearly for others to read.LnrB - Now that is the biggest pain of all I'm afraid.....lonnnnnng unbroken lines of text are almost unreadable, people just generally switch off as you say.No one wins in this scenario, it is just laziness imo and extremely frustratingSee example below to illustrate......Sorry l just had to put that out there. i'll get me coatIt's useful to selectively quote for contextOr to make it clear which post you are replying toBut quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-timeLazy I guess No need to apologizeWe all have pet peeves, I reckon One of mine is posters who refuse to use actual paragraphsCheers DD+1 in Spades!Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it

Basically, I've replied to the thread in general, but also, to 4 individual posters comments too, all in one post

Hope it helps

Best
Jim

malc4d 09-19-2014 01:09 PM

Hmmmm, what's a paragraph ???? :icon_dance-tap:

Steve M 09-19-2014 06:34 PM

I hate people who use more than one ? at the end of a question.
How many times can you not understand the same thing?
I mean, how many times??
Really???
You honestly don't get it????
Oh, now I see.
Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

LnrB 09-19-2014 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 1061307)
I hate people who use more than one ? at the end of a question.
How many times can you not understand the same thing?
I mean, how many times??
Really???
You honestly don't get it????
[...]

Steve, as you have just demonstrated, multiple ?s signifies astonishment.

There is no way through written words to communicate this emotion other than many !s or ?s. If you have a better way I would love to know.
(';')

Steve M 09-20-2014 04:59 AM

I know, I know, I was just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

JimC64 09-20-2014 07:40 AM

Thread moved to forum help & suggestion centre, its not model specific.

LnrB 09-20-2014 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64 (Post 1061570)
Thread moved to forum help & suggestion centre, its not model specific.

THAT'S why I couldn't find it this morning!!! hahaha
(';')

JimC64 09-20-2014 11:00 AM

LnrB - why don't you click on the black nav bar and then on "quick links"
A drop box opens and simply click on "todays posts"

All current / live / hot threads will appear for you.

Or....

In the same black nav bar, click on "my posts" where you can look for your posts from today, yesterday, 2 days ago, 3 days ago etc etc

You may or may not do this, I'm not sure?

Just a thought :icon_dance-tap:

sherbercars 09-20-2014 12:47 PM

Is there not a way to take a pacific part of a quote that is important to the person posting a reply without the whole context.

MY PET P. IS NOT HAVING THE TYPE AND YEAR OF CAR IN THEIR PROFILE , I THINK THAT SHOULD BE MANDATORY

GGG 09-20-2014 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by sherbercars (Post 1061741)
Is there not a way to take a pacific part of a quote ..........

.......... that is important to the person posting a reply ..........

.......... without the whole context.

You can edit a QUOTE in exactly the same was as you edit any other piece of text in a post. Just be careful to leave the QUOTE start and QUOTE end markers in brackets.

Graham

Norri 09-20-2014 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by bhamilton (Post 1060785)
:icon_wink:

Originally Posted by rgp (Post 1060787)
no idea

Originally Posted by JimC64 (Post 1061099)

Lol, ok so this can be particularly useful as stated when replying to a certain member within a thread to show you're replying to their comments
Simple....no need to get your coat..lol

I usually add my comments in bold so they show a little more clearly for others to read.

JT - Very easy and also very useful buddy.
click on the "quote" button and you can reply to that quote you've included in your post.
To multi quote - simply click on the button next to it "multi quote this message" and repeat for all that you would like to quote, clicking quote on the final one.....job done!

Doug - totally agree, it is a bug bear of mine too, breaking up the text makes it so much easier for all to read!
The forum does rely on the written word after all....

LnrB - Now that is the biggest pain of all I'm afraid.....lonnnnnng unbroken lines of text are almost unreadable, people just generally switch off as you say.
No one wins in this scenario, it is just laziness imo and extremely frustrating

See example below to illustrate......

I'll start Please please can someone tell me why on most threads people find it necessary to always "quote" the complete posting from just above their postinI find this a complete and utter waste of paper..Er...Sorry, screen.Sorry l just had to put that out there. i'll get me coatIt's useful to selectively quote for contextOr to make it clear which post you are replying toBut quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-timeLazy I guess No need to apologizeWe all have pet peeves, I reckon One of mine is posters who refuse to use actual paragraphsCheers DD+1 in Spades!Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it, probably losing my place in the maze of words in search of the tidbit the poster was pointing out to us.I find this a complete and utter waste of paper..Er...Sorry, screen.Sorry , l just had to put that out there. i'll get me coatIt's useful to selectively quote for context. Or to make it clear which post you are replying to. But quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-time. Lazy, I guess+1 in Spades!Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company, and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it, probably losing my place in the maze of words in search of the tidbit the poster was pointing out to usLol, ok so this can be particularly useful as stated when replying to a certain member within a thread to show you're replying to their comments Simple....no need to get your coat..lolDoug - totally agree, it is a bug bear of mine too, breaking up the text makes it so much easier for all to read!The forum does rely on the written word after all....I usually add my comments in bold so they show a little more clearly for others to read.LnrB - Now that is the biggest pain of all I'm afraid.....lonnnnnng unbroken lines of text are almost unreadable, people just generally switch off as you say.No one wins in this scenario, it is just laziness imo and extremely frustratingSee example below to illustrate......Sorry l just had to put that out there. i'll get me coatIt's useful to selectively quote for contextOr to make it clear which post you are replying toBut quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-timeLazy I guess No need to apologizeWe all have pet peeves, I reckon One of mine is posters who refuse to use actual paragraphsCheers DD+1 in Spades!Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it

Basically, I've replied to the thread in general, but also, to 4 individual posters comments too, all in one post

Hope it helps

Best
Jim

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 1061783)
You can edit a QUOTE in exactly the same was as you edit any other piece of text in a post. Just be careful to leave the QUOTE start and QUOTE end markers in brackets.

Graham

It's one of my pet peeves also!

Quotes can be useful and also extremely annoying. :icon_munching:

GGG 09-20-2014 03:01 PM

http://nikkibontv.files.wordpress.co...60tdcj_400.jpg

Graham