Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/jaguar-forums-feedback-suggestion-center-18/)
-   -   Possibility of lending out scan tool (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/jaguar-forums-feedback-suggestion-center-18/possibility-lending-out-scan-tool-134035/)

rattlenbang 01-02-2015 02:47 PM

Possibility of lending out scan tool

I'm considering buying a scan cable/software on ebay, but I'm reluctant because it's pricey and is very rarely needed. And yet one dealer visit is worth just as much. It occurred to me that one could be purchased for members and "rented out" for a small fee to cover postage and handling. it could be all done through paypal, with a deposit left and returned when the tool was returned. Its crazy for everyone buying the tool for an isolated one-off for diagnostics or rest, or paying the dealer, which can get very expensive fast if you didn't actually fix the problem and so have to go back. Not everyone of course has the time or resources to do their own work, but for those of us who do, buying dedicated specialty tools is not a fun expense. I still have one for a BMW that was used a few times and now languishes useless as the car is long gone.

What do people think? Would his be more trouble than it's worth? Is it doable? Potential problems?

GGG 01-03-2015 03:37 AM

It's always appealing to try to spread or reduce the cost of rarely used tools and equipment.

Clubs such as JEC in the UK which have a headquarters with full time staff offer tool hire for members which works well. Internet forums have a more varied experience. I can recall examples on this forum of tensioner tools being loaned successfully but also items such as adapted wrenches for removing the V8 thermostat tower never being seen again.

I presume you're looking at Mongoose - either the genuine Drew Technologies version or a Chinese clone? The drawback here is the software installation. It requires a dedicated Windows XP Pro machine or setting up a Virtual Machine hosting XP Pro and is a very lengthy install process.

Scantools such as JLR Mongoose or AutoEnginuity are much more than troubleshooting tools reached for only when something goes wrong. They can show how the vehicle is running and give advance warning of potential problems. I can't recall seeing any Mongoose or AutoEnginuity adverts appearing in our Classifieds. Once purchased, they are just too useful to sell. You could find you get a lot more from it than you expect.

Graham

rattlenbang 01-03-2015 11:30 AM

The mongoose and software seemed pretty expensive and limited. I recall reading about install issues, update problems OS limitations etc etc. I was actually looking at this one which can install on various OS yet seems complete for a reasonable price

Jaguar Land Rover Diagnostics Coding Programming Dealer Software IDS SDD JLR | eBay

I suppose the big question is whether there's an interest or not, and whether people would be willing to leave a deposit. I think I'll go by how much interest and response this thread gets as an indicator whether it's worth it.

sparkenzap 01-09-2015 05:20 AM

The problem with renting out scan tools is severalfold:
1) You have to have a way to coordinate the shipping
2) You need to be able to determine if the tool comes back in working order
3) Scan tools generally require a computer. Keeping the software configured right would be a challenge.

I have lent much less sophisticated tools like chain timing fixtures and plugs and had to keep reminding the borrower to bring themback. I also get them back with nicks, grease, lost parts and so on. And that is just to people locally I "know"!

Six Rotors 01-11-2015 03:00 PM

I have just ordered my 2nd clone from OBD2( UOBD2.net ) for $49.99 US delivered to Toronto---or about one tank full of gas---to me it's a "no-brainer", why rent?
Oh yes, my first one still works fine.

rattlenbang 01-12-2015 03:42 AM

I saw the example you describe and it looks like that's just the interface cable -the diagnostic software is still required (it also wouldn't work with my vehicle, which is a 2001).

Six Rotors 01-12-2015 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by rattlenbang (Post 1137292)
I saw the example you describe and it looks like that's just the interface cable -the diagnostic software is still required (it also wouldn't work with my vehicle, which is a 2001).

It does include the diagnostic software,V139,and it will likely work with vehicles back to 1998 or so( although it will be IDS not SDD).My current device came with V130 which works fine with IDS cars.

rattlenbang 01-12-2015 01:37 PM

Sure wudda been nice if they had said so on their site. Nowhere does it say includes diagnostic software. It also says good only from 2005-2014. If it is all you say it is, damn, I gotta get me one.