Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/jaguar-forums-feedback-suggestion-center-18/)
-   -   Split Politics from Off Topic? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/jaguar-forums-feedback-suggestion-center-18/split-politics-off-topic-198257/)

Fulton 03-14-2018 09:35 AM

Split Politics from Off Topic?

Has there been any thought to removing politics from the off topic section?
Perhaps giving it a section of its own. I drop in to the off topic looking for a laugh and end up getting sucked into American Politics.

It's not unique to this forum either. I own a few different vehicles and some of the forums have either stopped political conversations completely or moved them to a dark corner where the rest of us don't stumble across racist comments.

Or possibly just ban me as that's where we are headed. Good thing the Jag runs like a Swiss watch at the moment.

As always, thanks for your hard work and effort.

GGG 03-14-2018 10:19 AM

I long ago started to filter political posts from my forum reading list unless forced to intervene when they get out of hand.

There's some very weird people out there and the really worrying thing is a few of them are behind the wheel of a Jaguar.

Graham

jackra_1 03-14-2018 10:41 AM

Maybe I am one of those weird people.

However one does not have to read any "Off Topic" thread or reply to any post.

It is down to self discipline.

American politics affects the whole world so it is an important subject to be sure.

It is very difficult to maintain self discipline when you have posters that insist that black is white and white is black no matter what evidence is presented however that is what sets you apart from them.

You could choose not to respond to such posts.

Doug 03-15-2018 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by jackra_1 (Post 1858569)
Maybe I am one of those weird people.

However one does not have to read any "Off Topic" thread or reply to any post.

I agree.

I whether it Jags or politics, if I'm not interested in xxx-thread I just skip past.

Cheers
DD

yarpos 03-17-2018 10:47 PM

Tend to agree with Fulton.

Generally politics just tends to trash the otherwise friendly ambiance of JF.

Usually not a fan of banning things , but there are approximately a zillion places to drone on about politics either in fight clubs or echo chambers and everything in between. There are a very limited number of friendly Jag oriented sites.

gtjoey 03-18-2018 12:25 PM

I agree, way too much anger, I don't mind if its on a separate section,that way all the angrys can eat each other alive.
I want to start the "happy jag section".......
Keep smiling
GTJOEY1314

Doug 03-18-2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 1859682)
I agree.

I whether it Jags or politics, if I'm not interested in xxx-thread I just skip past.

Cheers
DD

To be clear, though, if politics was in its own section, I wouldn't object. Makes no difference to me!

Personally, I enjoy it and can segregate it from Jag-talk...but that's just me. I live in 'politically mixed' family and work environments so I'm accustomed to these things :)

Cheers
DD

Robman25 03-20-2018 12:58 AM

From an outsiders point of view I find it quite interesting and even funny at times how diametrically opposed some people are on the same subject.
Having said that I see that a certain Mr Liddel has been appointed to a prominent position (chief of Staff?) in the toy house so I suppose I had better watch my P’s and Q’s from now on. :)

Steve M 03-26-2018 03:55 PM

It's annoying.
I like the 'Official thread about nothing' because it used to be amusing and I felt that I could contribute.
Now it's just a few guys banging on about current and ex Presidents.
Please start a 'Political' forum and then those who chose to can bang on happily and the rest can just skip it completely if they want to.
Or may be I'll start one called 'Things that are happening on the rest of the planet' like the casual use of neurotoxins in public places.
Bring back the funny stuff on the Official Thread About Nothing pages!
Vote for me, I'll fix it, whatever it is!

Steve M 04-01-2018 05:17 PM

Interesting.
Other than the single 'Thank you' from o1xjr, not a single response to my post on this thread.
Some very amusing posts on The Official Thread About Nothing which are much appreciated but no posts about Politics.
So where do they all go to now?
Or, is my work here just done?
Or, should I just stop poking it with a stick>

Doug 04-01-2018 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 1869215)

So where do they all go to now?
Or, is my work here just done?
Or, should I just stop poking it with a stick>

My observation is that political threads run hot and heavy for a week or two then everyone gives it a rest

Cheers
DD

cat_as_trophy 04-05-2018 08:19 AM

What amuses me is the presumption (breathtaking!) that all the rest of us in the real world are even interested in American (or any other) national politics.

I too vote to have all political comment automatically siphoned off to a totally separate forum . . . not as a form of censorship . . . just to allow us to focus on the fun and friendship of sharing our Jaguar ownership rather than being subjected to politically opinionated (and sometimes rather aggressive) debate.

In the meantime, I find that a regular holiday away from the model specific JaguarForums gives me a sense of refreshing perspective. I sense I am not alone in placing a far higher value on our regional forums. Expanding our Australian regions some 4 years ago was the best thing that happened here and is reflected in our membership growth and ongoing local meets.

Cheers,
:icon_beerchug:
Ken

Doug 04-05-2018 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy (Post 1871420)
What amuses me is the presumption (breathtaking!) that all the rest of us in the real world are even interested in American (or any other) national politics.

Speaking for myself, I make no such presumption, I assure you ! Not at all. I'm confident that most people are *not* interested.

My presumption is that those interested in the topic (be it politics, SU carburetors, or rear wheel bearings) will open the thread and read the comments...and perhaps join in. Those not interested, won't.

I too vote to have all political comment automatically siphoned off to a totally separate forum . . . not as a form of censorship . . . just to allow us to focus on the fun and friendship of sharing our Jaguar ownership rather than being subjected to politically opinionated (and sometimes rather aggressive) debate.

I have no objections to such a change, personally. However, a person is subjected to only the threads he personally decides to open and read. If you're not interested in politics (or SU carburetors) then, simply, don't read threads involving politics (or SU carburetors) :)

Cheers
DD

cat_as_trophy 04-05-2018 10:23 AM

Sorry, but Doug, I think you have misunderstood what I, Fulton and others have noted and commented upon . . .

I have no objection whatsoever to threads on either politics (or SU carbies) that clearly present their intended topic. As you rightly say, members can read / contribute / ignore as they wish. No issues with that.

What Fulton raised, and I and others have agreed, is the hijacking of threads, whether those intended to be purely humorous as cited by Fulton, or within the technical forums as I cited. This is not confined to political comment.

If it is frustrating for a member's search for a solution, and carefully assembled advice from a range of contributors, suddenly diverted by a newcomer who thinks their somewhat similar symptoms warrant discussion or opinion . . . I am suggesting it is far more objectionable to see such a discussion wandering into a debate of national politics in what is an international, car specific forum.

Just my 2c Doug; no pistols at dawn stuff . . . too much respect and too little energy.

Cheers & best wishes,
:icon_toast:
Ken

Norri 04-05-2018 10:35 AM

Ken, if that was your intention I'll confess I misunderstood also, my understanding was the same as Doug's.

Please report any hijack posts using the "report post" button https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...ons/report.gif this will notify all the moderators who can take action to edit or remove the post if necessary.

Doug 04-05-2018 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy (Post 1871468)
What Fulton raised, and I and others have agreed, is the hijacking of threads, whether those intended to be purely humorous as cited by Fulton, or within the technical forums as I cited. This is not confined to political comment.

Ahhh, yes, hijacking. Different matter. And I agree with you!

Just my 2c Doug; no pistols at dawn stuff . . . too much respect and too little energy.

All's well :)

Cheers
DD