Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

question on wiper shaft removal from cowl

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 05:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default question on wiper shaft removal from cowl

I have stripped my 69 420g. complete driveline, interior, dash, glass, etc.
For some reason, I believe because I am brain dead now, I cannot figure out how to remove the shafts that come out of the cowl panel next to the centre exterior air intake. I wish I had taken a picture last night but it was after midnight when I finished the final (well 2nd last final as this current issue) and by that time the beer had run out and I thought I better get some sleep.

Behind the fire wall under the dash, there is a roundish bar which connects the two wiper shafts, and this houses the cable. On the outside, I took the wiper arms off. Underneath it, is a chrome housing with what looks like threaded nut on top (believe it was 19 or 20mm). I tried to loosen this but the housing was bending, so I did not push it anymore.

I went through my shop manual but it does not deal with this issue. The closest reference was replacement/servicing of the wiper motor, or replacement of the cable.

thanks.

Last edited by GGG; 01-29-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

What you've got here is the standard Lucas wiper mechanism of the 50s through to the 80s, , consisting of a motor and gear housing, a rack cable inside a tube, (there are three of these, two long, one very short), and two wheel boxes that work the wipers and engage in the rack cable. The assembly was used in almost every British car except Ford and Vauxhall. I have it on my MG Midget, and my Mark 2 and XJ Series 3 had it.

The wheel boxes poke through holes in the scuttle, and have a shaped chrome piece on top specific to the car, and are secured with the two nuts you have seen.

Those nuts below the wiper arm therefore have to come off to release the wheel boxes. The chrome pieces are a loose fit on the wheelbox shaft, and just pull off. You'll find a little rubber seal underneath to stop water entering. The nuts screw onto the wheel box body which is made of Mazak, so are likely corroded on. If it won't shift, You need to be able to get to the underside and hold the wheelbox securely when attempting to undo the nut. I have never had any problem undoing these nuts. It is no good gripping the chrome pieces, they are a very loose fit on the shaft.

The following users liked this post:
uras (01-30-2015)