MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Compatible wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,047 Posts

You don't have centre lock wheels!

The OP's question was " Are wheels from a series one XJ6 compatible with early Mk2? "

The answer is yes with the spats off. Unknown to me with them on. He has not replied with the offset of the wheels he wants to buy so we can go no further there.

I do not want to modify my car as it is concours on standard chrome wire centre locks. As long as Michelin makes the 185 X 15 ZVS 93H tyre I'm a happy camper & they are what I will run. They are a fine tyre for a stock 53 year old motor car for sensible driving & showing. The Dunlop VR SP Sport Aquajet 185R15 is also back in production for other purists but using modern technology. Both look period correct. Both are the correct aspect ratio. Both are fine choices & will serve their purpose very well without messing with steering & suspension geometry. (there are other options from Vredestein etc. but the above are my preferred)

Some wish to modify their cars & some don't ~ different strokes for different folks.

I will never do to my S Type what you have done & you will never do to yours what I have done. My technical comments stand.

Quite simple really.

BTW ~ Jaguar Curly Hub 15" centre lock wires ~ approx offset/inset ~ 5" = 20mm, 6" = 8mm, 6,5" = 2mm ~ standard for correct scrub radius. The suck it & see approach to scrub radius is not the right way. The scientific approach is the only way so that you obviate bad steering kick back on bumps & pot holes, toeing out under braking, tramlining etc. etc. and other stability issues/negatives to good handling caused by excessive positive scrub radius.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-31-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

From a purely aesthetic point of view, while the early XJ6 wheels may fit on a MK2 and judging from the pics posted earlier in the thread, they certainly don't look "right" on the car. YMMV.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Well I guess we now know why you have no clearance issues from your own thread.

"To ensure no tire rub during hard racing with the much wider 245 size tires front/rear we "rolled" the fenders. We also did some subtle pulling of the rear fenders to increase the spacing just a tad. Nobody would ever notice it but it provides plenty of clearance."

unquote.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
From a purely aesthetic point of view, while the early XJ6 wheels may fit on a MK2 and judging from the pics posted earlier in the thread, they certainly don't look "right" on the car. YMMV.
Agree. I think most would agree that Mk2, S Type & 420 look best on wires.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

Glyn,

My car needed a lot of body work but the rear fenders were not pulled more than 1/4" and after the bodywork was done I measured and I could actually put a larger 255 tire so NO a stock 3.8 body will fit easily a 225 to 245 with no body mods.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

Not with centre lock wheels!

Old 11-01-2018, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Not with centre lock wheels!

Center lock wheels are really kind of lame compared to modern hubs. The stock wheels are heavy, not very stylish (grandpa style), not as secure, no locking lugs for security. I am so glad I got rid of the center locks wheels as now it is so easy to service, wheels are so light, now I can get much better quality tires, much wider tires, much better looks. Now the car can out handle any center lock Jag sedan. Can your car take any turn at double the posted speed limit? Can your car do zero to sixty in 3.9 seconds....I don't think so oh right you would need to ditch your center locks

Old 11-01-2018, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

Centre lock wheels suit the style of the car. There is never going to be anything modern about a 55 year old S Type's styling. I get the "sleeper" concept but have access to very fast toys when I want an adrenaline rush. Fast, balanced, efficient & safe toys with modern safety features & standards. Here as on MBWorld all I try to do is give accurate & complete information.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 11-01-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

I disagree as my Jag turns heads, gets consistent "thumbs up" and before the wider wheels, etc. she would get out handled by a Prius and even a Toyota Camary but now I can out perform a Mercedes, most stock cars today, and even a Tesla S could not pass me off the line. Now I can have a daily driven cool sedan that is reliable, fast, handles well and has all of the modern features of a new car. If one just upgrades the hubs and puts performance tires & wider tires on their Jag sedan at least they will not be a slug thru the canyon turns and get passed by today's weakest cars....

Old 11-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Ah well. Take on one of those irritatingly excellent Machines from Zuffenhausen around Laguna Seca or COTA and it will run away from you & lap you consistently all day until you have a steaming heap & burnt brakes & then be good to do the shopping the next day. It will do all of this with a very high degree of safety. We S Type owners have to be careful we don't crack our skulls on the walnut dash or get impaled by the steering column in an accident.

Here is Ian Callum's tastefully modded & balanced Mk2. It turns many heads. He purposely did not over power it (4.3 litre XK tuned for high torque). I have never had any issues with what your car looks like. As I said earlier ~ horses for courses. Ian's car has totally new front fenders to accommodate the re-engineering. (Totally re-engineered front & rear suspension ~ some of it even patented by CMC)

BTW. If you need some advice on improving the handling of your widebody Nissan Z call me. Get rid of that ludicrous negative offset on the deep dish front wheels & reconfigure the suspension so that you can run positive offset wheels like the Jag fender restrictions have forced you to do. This will get rid of the massive & undesirable positive scrub radius. Free advice willingly given.

primaz
"I disagree as my Jag turns heads, gets consistent "thumbs up" and before the wider wheels, etc. she would get out handled by a Prius and even a Toyota Camary but now I can out perform a Mercedes, most stock cars today, and even a Tesla S could not pass me off the line. Now I can have a daily driven cool sedan that is reliable, fast, handles well and has all of the modern features of a new car. If one just upgrades the hubs and puts performance tires & wider tires on their Jag sedan at least they will not be a slug thru the canyon turns and get passed by today's weakest cars...."
primaz

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 11-01-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it come to Ian's car...
As much as I would like to say, that car looks phenomenal, I just can't.
The lower front valance below the grill (now even with the rocker panel) makes the front end look heavy, almost SUV like.

The rear wheels are simply too wide for the body and too close to the outer fender, looks like I could barley get my fingers in there.
It makes me think of a kid hot rodding it up with no attempt what so ever to keep the look of the car in balance.

There is a very thin piece added to the rear fender to try and keep the tires tucked inside, but it just makes me think of a poor attempt at dealing with wide tires on a body that was never designed for.

Last edited by JeffR1; 11-01-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JeffR1
The lower front valance below the grill (now even with the rocker panel) makes the front end look heavy, almost SUV like.

The rear wheels are simply too wide for the body and too close to the outer fender, looks like I could barley get my fingers in there.
It makes me think of a kid hot rodding it up with no attempt what so ever to keep the look of the car in balance.

There is a very thin piece added to the rear fender to try and keep the tires tucked inside, but it just makes me think of a poor attempt at dealing with wide tires on a body that was never designed for.
+1

I couldn't agree more; that said, it is his car and he can mod it as he likes...

JR

Old 11-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JeffR1

He's been drawing the car since he was a kid & finally built it. Being a typical Scot he says it's his car & his money ~ USD600K (probably more) and he likes it. I must say from most angles it looks pretty good & most love it. The most polarising aspect funnily enough is the bright red leather upholstery that he loves. He has given CMC the OK to do more of them because so many people want them at 600K. Buyers will, within reason, be able to specify their own tweaks. It might be interesting to see what others do.

The overall standard of finish is stunning & it's all properly engineered.

As you say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I think I would have purpose made rear fenders as they did up front & not modified spats. But then I've always preferred the S Type to the Mk2 so I'm out of step anyway.

I guess when you are the styling boss of Jaguar you can do as you wish.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 11-01-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

This is something I'm sorry Callum turned down as "not designed here"

Bertone's redesign of/replacement for the XJ6 ~ a 4 door pillarless coupe.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 11-01-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

I too like the S-type, although the design is not without compromises as Sir William Lyons readily acknowledged. The car looks better in dark colors which do not accentuate the line of the rear doors which were designed to clear the fender skirts, or spats of the MK2, but look just a bit "off" on the S-type.

The rear suspension on the S-type was, however, far advanced over the MK-2 and the handing was stellar for its time; it was a "proper bank robber's motor". Glyn Ruck's example is simply gorgeous!

JR

Old 11-01-2018, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Ah well. Take on one of those irritatingly excellent Machines from Zuffenhausen around Laguna Seca or COTA and it will run away from you & lap you consistently all day until you have a steaming heap & burnt brakes & then be good to do the shopping the next day. It will do all of this with a very high degree of safety. We S Type owners have to be careful we don't crack our skulls on the walnut dash or get impaled by the steering column in an accident.

Here is Ian Callum's tastefully modded & balanced Mk2. It turns many heads. He purposely did not over power it (4.3 litre XK tuned for high torque). I have never had any issues with what your car looks like. As I said earlier ~ horses for courses. Ian's car has totally new front fenders to accommodate the re-engineering. (Totally re-engineered front & rear suspension ~ some of it even patented by CMC)

BTW. If you need some advice on improving the handling of your widebody Nissan Z call me. Get rid of that ludicrous negative offset on the deep dish front wheels & reconfigure the suspension so that you can run positive offset wheels like the Jag fender restrictions have forced you to do. This will get rid of the massive & undesirable positive scrub radius. Free advice willingly given.

primaz
"I disagree as my Jag turns heads, gets consistent "thumbs up" and before the wider wheels, etc. she would get out handled by a Prius and even a Toyota Camary but now I can out perform a Mercedes, most stock cars today, and even a Tesla S could not pass me off the line. Now I can have a daily driven cool sedan that is reliable, fast, handles well and has all of the modern features of a new car. If one just upgrades the hubs and puts performance tires & wider tires on their Jag sedan at least they will not be a slug thru the canyon turns and get passed by today's weakest cars...."
primaz
I do think the Callum's MKII is done very well and he did not spare any costs as that car is over $350K in US dollars. He built as if Jaguar were to make a new MKII much like other brands have done with classics like Mustang, Mini Cooper, etc. but I preferred the classic chrome and wanted the modern features but not really change the 3.8s body. To me the 3.8s body lines are clean and only needed minor things like a front valance to hide the ugly frame, etc. from being exposed.

As far as sedan class goes my car can do pretty well against a fair amount of other modern sport sedans but it is still built for luxury and a daily driver. I do feel that other Jaguars from the 3.8s or MKII would benefit with upgrading to 5 lug hubs and getting wider offset rims/tires so that they can handle like a modern car. Again your Jag with your old school wire wheels with those low performance tires will get smoked by lowly Toyota Prius and Camary's while my Jag will leave you eating my dust

Glyn, the Primadonna Z handles incredibly and will pull well over 1G. I have out handled dozens of Ferrari's, Porsche, and other exotic cars with ease. The handling of that car enabled it to beat many other supercars that had more horsepower. As an example on a very tight set of 10-20 mile and hour turn thru a 5 mile section my Z car has even beat a couple of superbikes that were scraping their pegs trying to keep up with me! That cars handling will blow away anything you have and will shock the crap out of you on how stable and well it handles. I raced the car a lot on the street and it has never lost a race yet. It will be undergoing a complete overall with a new Skyline RB34 turbo that will put down around 700+ HP at the real wheels so that the car will easily go above 200 MPH but always stay a street car.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Not even you can defy the laws of physics! You should always be interested in improvements. Your front end on the Z is fundamentally flawed. But you carry on. This is getting boring!

Cost etc.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/50...ne-of-your-own

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 11-02-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
I too like the S-type, although the design is not without compromises as Sir William Lyons readily acknowledged. The car looks better in dark colors which do not accentuate the line of the rear doors which were designed to clear the fender skirts, or spats of the MK2, but look just a bit "off" on the S-type.

The rear suspension on the S-type was, however, far advanced over the MK-2 and the handing was stellar for its time; it was a "proper bank robber's motor". Glyn Ruck's example is simply gorgeous!

JR
Thanks for the kind words.

The Mk2's cantilevered semi elliptic springs, panhard rod & live axle are crude in the extreme.

Cyril Crouch was Jaguar's largest detractor of the S Type. I think people have become more accepting of it over time.

Yes indeed the back doors have always tended to look as though they don't fit even aside from the arch profile. As the dies wore at Pressed Steel so this got worse. We tried our best to fit the standard doors properly, even up the gaps & ensure they don't stand proud. I did not want to rework the doors. They are reasonable & at least don't stand proud at the rear like so many. Many cars also have lower B Pillars that stand proud. Came from Browns Lane like that.

This is the best job I've seen. Full rework of the doors. Man they must have worked hard on these doors. Excellent gaps & fit for a Jag. Proper set back of the window frames etc.

This is more typical of rubbish fit. (multiple JCNA winner)

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 11-02-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

This is something I'm sorry Callum turned down as "not designed here"

Bertone's redesign of/replacement for the XJ6 ~ a 4 door pillarless coupe.

I like that a lot and I'm not into modern cars that much, mainly because the sheet metal on them is so thin, designers have to add bumps, corners and protrusions to stiffen up the panels _ new cars are bunch of bulges and poorly placed geometric shapes.
That design is quite clean and well balanced, makes me think of a Pininfarina design.
Deep doors and a low roof line !

IMHO...

Last edited by JeffR1; 11-02-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

The S-type, Plate #AL 75-61,is really well done! The dark color really sets off the styling, IMHO. Thanks for sharing. Is that car a part of a particular collection, I wonder ?

It is interesting that some of the same criticisms that were made of the original 1960s S-type were also leveled against the X200 S-type that finally followed in 1999.

I have only owned one Pressed Steel bodied car, a1966 Volvo P-1800, and that car leaked like a sieve! As I recall the dealer informed me that the factory had issued something like 80 TSB modifications to try to make the coachwork water tight. Eventually, full production of that car was moved to Sweden...

Quick Reply: Compatible wheels