MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Fuel Filter Location Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Lin
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Filter Location Question

Hi folks,
I am installing air conditioning, and electric power assisted rack and pinion steering in my car among other silly modifications. These items take space and one thing the MK2 does not have is extra space under the bonnet for anything. I am thinking about cutting the hard fuel line from the boot near where the oil filter is mounted and then running a direct line from the shortened fuel line to the fuel feed pipe for the carbs. This would allow me to completely eliminate the AC glass bowl fuel filter mounted on the right engine bay valance.

I would then move a fuel filter to the boot in the compartment where the fuel pump is. The first photo link shows where the fuel filter is now. The second shows a fuel filter close to where I am talking about locating the filter - although I am not planning a redundant fuel pump.

My question is this: Moving the filter obviously violates originality but that was sacrificed some time ago. So, other than originality is there any reason to not do what I am thinking about? As a by product, it seems to me that it might also be helpful to not have a glass bowl full of fuel exposed to the heat of the engine bay. Thanks for your opinions.
Lin

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Filter Location Question-original-ac-fuel-filter.jpg   Fuel Filter Location Question-duel-fuel-pumps-filter.jpg  
Old 04-03-2017, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

The only 2 good reasons for the fuel filter in the engine bay is that it is easier to inspect, and when you need to change the filter you don't drop fuel into the boot compartment, other than that the filter could go anywhere.

If you are not worried about the originality you could install a modern canister fuel filter and it could go under the car as so many models do these days (just a thought) this would eliminate the fuel spillage issue when changing the filter at least.

The following users liked this post:
MK2 (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 06:34 AM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks, good thought!
Lin

Old 04-03-2017, 06:42 AM
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

We look forward to your venture with A/C installation, with interest!

Old 04-03-2017, 08:18 AM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Red Triangle,
Rather than contaminating this post on fuel filter location I have started a new thread on air conditioning progress.
Lin

Last edited by MK2; 04-03-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

yes, as if having a fuel Pump inside the trunk wasn't bad enough, adding the Filter is adding fuel vapor and potential liquid fuel spills to the same area.

having said that, my 1984 XJ-6 has the fuel pump AND filter in the spare tire compartment, with suitable drains and vents just in case.