MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Gas - Clean to Murky in Gas Lines -two Duel Gas Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:40 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Gas - Clean to Murky in Gas Lines -two Duel Gas Filters?

So I've been cleaning out the gas lines of a car that's been sitting. I cleaned the gastank, and cleaned the fuel line with vinegar before this next step.

I've been running new gas through the lines into a container BEFORE it gets to the engine. I want to do all I can to ensure the gas doesn't bring in crud and contaminates into the engine during combustion.

Here's the results. See pics.

On the left is the clean gas. Translucent and clear.
On the right, that same clean gas AFTER it was pumped through the car's gas lines. Murky and not clean.

The second picture is a close up of the dirty gas.... some particulate matter floating in it.

So I'm not sure how to address this situation. A rather interesting idea came from the local auto parts manager: run DUEL fuel filters.

He suggested getting a spltter and installing it in the engine compartment. Then attach two fuel filters to the two lines coming off the splitter. Next take two gas lines and attach to each of the respective fuel filter out port. Attach another splitter in reverse ont each of the duel fuel filter lines, redirecting the clean flow into one gas line again. Then connect to engine line into the carburetor and floats.

This would double clean fuel going in, and take pressure off the fuel pump since it has two lines, not one.

Opinions please....

Attached Thumbnails Gas -  Clean to Murky in Gas Lines -two Duel Gas Filters?-gas.jpg   Gas -  Clean to Murky in Gas Lines -two Duel Gas Filters?-gas3.jpg  
Old 08-25-2015, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Eventually, if your tank is clean, the fuel will run clean. However it is how long "eventually" is, that is the question ! There should be a fuel filter inside the engine compartment with a glass bowl. This can be cleaned out as it gets dirty.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:55 PM

Here's what I've done thus far:

First, I flushed out the tank with gasoline. I've been putting new gas into the cleaned gas tank and then ran the gas thru the lines via the electric gas pump. But instead of the gas going thru the gas line out into the engine compartment, I routed a rubber gas hose onto the out-going fuel pump line and sampled the gas.

It was CLEAN!

I have run over ten gallons from the tank, thru the gas pump, and into a gas can via the rubber line. ALL samples were clean and clear!

I then removed the rubber line and reconnect the fuel pump out line to the gas line going out to the engine compartment. It was murky initially, but then became clear. I ran gallons thru the line into a gas can. The gas became progressively clearer. Some was still murky. The weird thing: there were little bits of rust in suspension during the first gas riinse. The rust would be gone after the a few gallons, but it would return the next day during that day's first gas rinse. Where the rust is coming from, I don't know.... the tank is clean and clear!

So I've put on two gas fuel filters. One after the gas leaves the tank and before the fuel pump ( No dirty fuel into the fuel pump diaphragm ), and the other fuel filter in the standard location before the clear gas bowl ( Is this the correct term?).

The orientation of the both the fuel filter and the fuel pump in the rear trunk area is of concern. Is this okay? Any expected problems? Stress on the rear area fuel lines? Affects the pump negatively?

I've watched the fuel go from the tank, into the rear fuel filter, and out to the the engine area. There were no issues.... Interestingingly, the fuel filter never fills completely; only about 20% on the bottom of the filter before going out to the fuel pump and then out to the engine compartment. It also bubbles a lot....

Thought and comments please....

Attached Thumbnails Gas -  Clean to Murky in Gas Lines -two Duel Gas Filters?-picture-001.jpg   Gas -  Clean to Murky in Gas Lines -two Duel Gas Filters?-picture-002.jpg   Gas -  Clean to Murky in Gas Lines -two Duel Gas Filters?-picture-003.jpg   Gas -  Clean to Murky in Gas Lines -two Duel Gas Filters?-picture-004.jpg   Gas -  Clean to Murky in Gas Lines -two Duel Gas Filters?-picture-007.jpg  

Gas -  Clean to Murky in Gas Lines -two Duel Gas Filters?-picture-012.jpg  
Old 09-08-2015, 11:54 PM

Here's a better picture of the bits that are coming out of the gas line but NOT the gas tank...

Attached Thumbnails Gas -  Clean to Murky in Gas Lines -two Duel Gas Filters?-picture-007.jpg