S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me. Come Oil in manifold & Plugs

Old 12-17-2018, 04:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me. Come Oil in manifold & Plugs

I have a good Condition My Jaguar model 2001 s Type 3.0 V6 ..
By mistake input the some 10 litre Diesel.
After this mistake we Have showing some issues.. vibration, Smoking, Oil Coming manifold & Plugs

Old 12-17-2018, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Hi,
ask your question in the Jaguar S type forum for the year of the car.
Look in the list of forums until you find the correct forum.

This forum is for Jaguar S type until 1968.

Last edited by Jose; 12-17-2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

The correct forum is located here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ed-v8-x200-15/

Perhaps one of out helpful Moderators/Admins will move the thread to the appropriate forum.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,342 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I'm sure this will be moved. Drain fuel tank & purge the fuel system with gasoline. You probably have rising sump oil level because it is full of uncombusted diesel. Drain oil & flush sump. Replace oil. Refuel with Gasoline.

It is unlikely that you have done any damage yet.

It's hard to comment further as you don't say how much gasoline was in the tank when you added diesel or how far you tried to drive it.

Good luck!

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-17-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:42 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Faheem Hussain
I have a good Condition My Jaguar model 2001 S-Type 3.0 V6.........

Welcome to the forum Faheem,

I've moved your question from MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler forum to S-Type forum. This is the place to post questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 12-18-2018, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Hmm I like to learn new things. Apparently you are not that screwed. It will take a bit of time but it's a no money fix.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

He forgot the major issue with diesel in gasoline. If the contamination of the gas is say 10% or lower the vehicle will run & many people drive them like this for some distance. The diesel portion of the fuel does not combust properly & runs down past the rings & dilutes the sump oil causing the level to rise.

If you get too much diesel in the sump oil it will not lubricate properly & you can damage cam & tappet area & if chronic dilution takes place, run bearings.

Change the oil!

Old 12-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

As Glyn says, the issue does not just affect the fuel, oil contamination is a real issue if some miles have been driven, the diesel content will be greater than 10% in this case as 10 ltrs was added, therefore, drain fuel, purge fuel system and change the oil and filter, fingers crossed not much damage will have been caused, but poor lubrication will be the biggest cause of damage and will ruin the engine if this is not dealt with immediately.

The video is great, but works on the basis that you deal with this BEFORE you leave the fuel station, once you have driven any distance it's a different scenario regarding oil contamination. It's only a no money fix if you have the facilities at hand to do the work yourself, if not your paying someone to do it for you, and don't forget the cost of the wasted fuel !

If you have only put a couple of liters of diesel in a tank, you would get away with filling up the tank with petrol and diluting the diesel, I would not recommend doing this with any near high performance engine, but you would get away with it in most cases, assuming you dilute the diesel before driving the car

Old 12-23-2018, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

Correct TJ. Depending on the CR of the engine some engines will run reasonably on a minor cocktail ~ this is where the biggest danger lies if people do not notice rising oil level. As a greater %age of diesel in the gasoline destroys the octane rating of the fuel so the engine will start to ping, knock, detonate, pre ignite by whatever term you know it. It is surprising how insensitive to this some are.

From the OP's stated symptoms it's plain the engine has been run. He just does not say for how long.

Change the oil!

Old 12-23-2018, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
As a greater %age of diesel in the gasoline destroys the octane rating of the fuel so the engine will start to ping, knock, detonate, pre ignite by whatever term you know it. It is surprising how insensitive to this some are.
I don't like using pre-ignition in the same line up as knock, detonate or pinging as it is technically a different phenomenon, pre-ignition happens before the spark plug starts the flame front, and the other happen after , some amount of pinging/knocking can be tolerated, prolonged knocking will cause damage, but pre-ignition is very quickly catastrophic to an engine.

That being said, Glyn- you can probably answer this :- With some amount of diesel in the petrol, knocking is likely due to the lower octane levels, but would pre-ignition risk be any higher ? I can't get my chemistry head around that one (as I don't have a Chemistry head probably !!)

Old 12-25-2018, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

From a petroleum industry perspective it is all a matter of semantics. I'm purely using common terms used by Joe public & what they experience. Pre ignition is usually an element of knocking. Knocking is loosely caused by unstable elements in the fuel in a spark ignited engine. (correct timing etc. a given)

We are not going to get into the details of squish, swirl, turbulence, hot spots, rich & lean running due to many factors including high oxygen under trees, timing, pressure rise, manifold pressure etc. etc. here or we will be at it for a month.

Diesel is blended to achieve balanced & controlled auto ignition under pressure (& resultant temperature). It's propensity to do so is reflected as it's Cetane number

Gasoline is blended to give balanced & controlled ignition under pressure ignited by a spark. It's propensity to resist uncontrolled combustion or knock is designated by it's Octane number ( I'm not going to discuss research vs. motor octane number & AKI here)

Knocking, pinging etc. & what one hears is caused by multiple flame fronts or pressure waves from explosive ignition hitting one another from multiple pockets of fuel/air mixture. These multiple events on one stroke can arise from pressure waves caused by pre ignition (auto ignition), spark ignition, hotspots/incandescence & other unstable combustion due to fuel quality & low octane rating outside the fuels desired ignition delay.

Knocking is caused by multiple pressure waves hitting one another whatever the source or cause in a combustion cycle. The potential damage to the engine is dependent on severity.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Glyn, a very concise explanation, Joe public often does not realise that pre-ignition is usually caused by factors other than timing or Octane rating, and can happen up to 180 deg BTDC it is highly destructive and can reduce a high output engine to scrap in seconds.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Indeed ~ as can detonation in it's true & isolated definition. Especially in two stroke engines.