MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Jaguar Mk2 restoration in Poole, Dorset

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 03:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jaguar Mk2 restoration in Poole, Dorset

Evening guys, update on the Mk2 Jaguar restoration! Have had the door skins removed and found more rust.. see pics below...

any idea how to remove the surface rust? And can the window frame support brackets be bought?

Thanks guys

Old 12-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

there are many methods for removing surface rust but I like this one best:

https://youtu.be/CV3LdvTXeb8

Old 12-01-2018, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Phosphoric acid still takes a lot of beating.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Media blast after stripping everything off, then phosphoric acid then weld through primer,

Have you got the new door skins already, it looks like you may have cut the original skins a little too high ! You cannot get full replacement skins as far as I know.

You cannot get the frame support brackets, you will need to fabricate them.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Received 310 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Bovard
Evening guys, update on the Mk2 Jaguar restoration! Have had the door skins removed and found more rust.. see pics below...

any idea how to remove the surface rust? And can the window frame support brackets be bought?

Thanks guys
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but have you checked how far up the door skin repairs panels come? I don't think they go as far us as where you have cut them back.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Homersimpson
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but have you checked how far up the door skin repairs panels come? I don't think they go as far us as where you have cut them back.
That was my thoughts, hence asking if he already had the skins in my earlier post, looks like they are an inch or 2 too high !!!

Old 12-02-2018, 12:00 PM

Evening,

yes john i have the door skins.. I’ve been reassured they will be fine once welded in..

So I’ll strip doors down, get them blasted and spray acid on them.. once done, then spray with weld primer?

Also ive cleaned the rust of the following item, used kurust, then undercoated several times and put top coat of paint on several times.. would that be okay?

Thanks

Old 12-03-2018, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member

Rust is an absolute bugg**, Kurust is not a one stop finish, and arguably not the best product either. Small amounts of rust will still exist especially if the treatment is not scrubbed into the surface.

Rust converters are very useful in areas that you cannot get at, but in my opinion blast cleaning is the best way, followed by Phosphoric Acid, such as Phos Kleen A https://www.rust.co.uk/product/phos-...st-remover-127 , Rustbuster does a rust converter, which I have used, but the best converter I have found is Dinitrol RC900, this is an epoxy based converter, so leaves a much harder finish when dry and is in my opinion the best I have used.

I always remove as much rust as possible, by cutting and welding or blast cleaning the prep and paint as previous. I would not use a rust converter on anything I could blast off.

Inside a chassis rail for instance I would clean as much loose rust as possible with air line etc. then RC900, and then use a cavity wax which has rust converters in, but these have to be used ongoing as maintenance is required to ensure long term protection, so every year or so the cavity injection is repeated, this will ensure chassis rails and cills are kept in the best condition you can.

It will be interesting to see the door skins you have offered up against the doors, where did you get them from ?

Old 12-03-2018, 07:49 AM

Afternoon Jon,

Think im going to remove all parts from the car then strip all paint/ underseal off and go from there.. once the car is fully stripped I can get parts welded/ treated then start applying primer etc.. as advised above.

I have a 150 litre Clarke compressor, which should have enough power to run a blaster/ and spraying gun.. So was thinking of buying that soda blaster from MSB then remove as much paint as I can, then use ur recommend rust treatment..

With ur MSb blaster was I right in thinking you used sharp sand?

Tonight I’m going to carry on removing more parts and will measure the door skin up to the car. I hope the welders didn’t remove to much..

thanks

Old 12-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

I have an MSB blasting kit which does the job pretty well, your compressor will still struggle, although they recommend an 8 cfm compressor, 20 cfm would be more appropriate, my compressor is 14 cfm and that still won't keep up for longer than 10 - 15 mins.

The cheapest media is kiln dried sand, sharp sand does have some slightly larger particles which will clog up, and the sand is not dry enough to run through a blaster.

The biggest thing when blasting is DRY air and I mean DRY, the air will get quite warm when blasting for any length of time, this will allow the air to hold much more water in suspension which will dump itself in the blaster when it cools down resulting in blocking, take a guess how I know that !

I struggled through this way, but meant to build a cooler/drier arrangement, if you take the output from the compressor though a coil of 10mm copper pipe say 25mtr long and then into a second small (50ltr) tank, the air will coll enough to condensate and drop in the second tank when you can drain it off. Once the air is cool a water separator will work much better, but get the best water separator you can a preferably a drier too, but the biggest thing is to cool the air enough to allow it to release the water vapour as condensation before it hits the blast tank.

Also buy some spare ceramic nozzles and a couple of spare taps for the blasting end and DO NOT blast with the valve part open, you will find out why when the sand comes out the side instead of the end -- again ask me how I know that too !

You will need overalls, ear defenders (also stops your ears filling with debris) and invest in an air fed mask now, get one with replaceable "peel off" visor protectors and get yourself several of those, you can use the air fed mask for spraying too, it's worth investing in it early on as you will get much more use from it and thank me that you had it. (try blasting without one and you will see why --- wonder how I know that !) The hoods they send with the kits are rubbish and steam up so you can't see a damn thing in 5 mins. Cover everything you don't want covered in a thick layer of brown dust, and have a nice hot bath afterwards !!!

Filthy job, but very rewarding doing it. Do sections at a time, and when the dust settles you will see bits you missed so you can sort those out, and don't leave it blasted without Phosphating for more than a few hours unless you are going back over the area as you will get micro rusting quite quickly especially in the winter months.

You can reuse the sand/debris mix a couple of times as long as it is still nice and dry, but you will need to sieve it with a fine sieve (just like a sieve for flour when cooking) anything bigger will allow particles that will block the nozzle.

The other way is to get someone else to blast it for you, but where's the fun in that and you won't be able to blast off all those little bits later, it's great when you cut out some rust and find surface rust underneath, you can blast it all off before and after welding and before further treatment.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:56 PM

Evening,

ive placed the old door skins in the new ones and there is room to play with!

Sounds like a rewarding/ dirty job John.. I’ve ordered a blaster and will start blasting parts I’ve already removed like..

on a bare metal part with no rust, would you first spray with high zinc primer, then epoxy primer then colour coat? Also where do you buy your paint from? My dad used to use brown brothers in Poole, but they have closed that outlet...

Engine crane is coming soon, do I need to remove carbs before lifting engine out? Or all come out as one?

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

I would get the high zinc primer and epoxy mastic primer from www.rust.co.uk they are really good quality, you will need extra epoxy thinners and will need to warm the cans of epoxy mastic up as they are very thick when cold, I got the epoxy in red oxide colour, then applied another coat of grey epoxy from a regular paint supplies such as Rainbow Paints in Bournemouth. You will need a minimum of a 2.0mm tip in your spray gun, you can apply a second coats after a couple of hours, but if you want to sabd it down at all you need to leave it for at least a couple of days or it will clog the paper really fast, but after a couple of days it cures really hard and needs to be keyed with 320 grit before applying further coats.

The reason for using red oxide colour as the first epoxy coat is that when sanding down anything later, if you hit the red coat, you know not to sand any further so you will never get to bare metal when prepping for paint, so will always have the zinc and one coat of epoxy as a minimum over bare metal.

On a bare metal part I would still treat with Phos Kleen A before the Zinc as this will treat any micro rust that can sit in the metal.

You will need to take the engine and gearbox out together, you can leave the carbs on if you are taking it out the top, remove the rear engine stabiliser and bracket to make more room, and remove the exhaust too if possible, it makes life easier. You will need to tilt the engine quite a lot to get the gearbox to follow the engine, so an adjustable tilter is good for use with the engine crane.

Glad the skins fit, post a pic of them against the door if you would, where did you get them? I have not seen them cover that far up

Old 12-08-2018, 06:46 PM
Received 190 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Engine removal angle

Grant,

"You will need to take the engine and gearbox out together" TilleyJon

Here is a shot of the angle of the tilt that Jon mentioned. We followed the shop manual procedure. We might have briefly got caught on some linkage, but it did come out quickly.

The following users liked this post:
TilleyJon (12-09-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

I have a few doors available if needed. I live in Chester, UK.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:29 PM

Thanks guys, the jag has taken abit of a back seat with the cold weather Xmas and being ill... thanks for ur advice Jon.. will hopefully get engine out in January and start sometime stripping.

are the doors you have any good?

Merry xmas everyone and happy new year

Old 01-09-2019, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Update when you can Grant, happy New Year and hope you are feeling better.

It was littlelic69 https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...elic69-133964/ that has the doors, so PM him.

regards

Jon

Old 01-17-2019, 09:12 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

I have attempted to send you a private message twice now. Have you seen them? I have five doors in various states as described. I will give a brief description. Door 1 is a right hand rear. I HAVE SCAVENGED METAL FROM IT , SO IS ONLY USEFUL FOR BITS OF PRESSINGS., Door 2 is also right hand rear. It has a good outer skin, but the inner is corroded into holes near the winder mechanism mounting holes. Door 3 is again a right hand rear. It has a good skin and inner panel. It has some corrosion at the drain holes at the bottom. A useable part as is. Door 4 is a left hand rear. It has some corrosion at the rear lower outer skin. The inner is good and could be used. Door 5 is a front left. It has an OK skin and an OK interior and could be used .

Old 01-21-2019, 07:56 AM

Hi jon,

feeling better now thanks, been snowed under with work so only managed to strip one door down and label all the parts up..

hows your jag going?

Littlelic69, can you send over some pics?

Also so has anyone got a shell they are braking? I need the heater rail!

Last edited by Grant Bovard; 01-21-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Glad your feeling better, had the same issue re work myself, desperate to get back to it as I really don;t have masses to do, hopefully I can get on top of the workload shortly and get back to it and get it finished. I can then start the second one !

When you say the heater rail do you mean the section of metal sheeting that forms the ducting for the heater air into the passenger compartment ? There was a couple breaking on ebay, there is a guy selling bits from 2 Mk2's in March near Cambridge, you could message him and ask what the shells are like ? I can look him up and post a link if you like.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:07 PM

Hi john,

what you got left to do on your now?

Yeah that’s the part I need, my welders have tried to make something up but I’d rather have the correct piece welded in..

That would be great if you know the guy stripping a Mk2.

Where did you get ur engine overhauled?

thanks grant

Quick Reply: Jaguar Mk2 restoration in Poole, Dorset