MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Jaguar MK2 RHD Auto Gear Selector

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Jaguar MK2 RHD Auto Gear Selector

Hi,

I'm trying to work out how the automatic selector cable connects to the column and how the linkages should be arranged.

Does anyone have a photo of this for a RHD MK2 with a DG gearbox that they could let me have?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Is this any help ?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Auto shiftf.pdf (392.0 KB, 199 views)
Old 12-23-2016, 05:54 AM

Hi thanks for this, I have this diagram in the Haynes manual but I'm trying to find out exactly how its installed, in particular the bracket on the bulkhead.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member

Ah I see, I assume it all goes internally (not through the firewall), mine is manual so I can't give you a complete answer, but as no one else has chipped in here, I can only help so far. I have attached a shot of the stripped internal, I can't see an obvious fixing point for the bracket, I don't know how stripped your car is, but maybe you can see if there is some difference which may help.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar MK2 RHD Auto Gear Selector-img_1271.jpg   Jaguar MK2 RHD Auto Gear Selector-img_1272.jpg  
Old 12-24-2016, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

by the way, it is the same in both LHD and RHD cars, i.e., the Gear Selector is on the right side of the steering column. If there is any difference, it is the cable itself that makes a different turn towards the transmission.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:30 AM

Thanks for the reply, the problem I'm having is that my car has the gear selector on the left hand side of the steering column, this was reversed around 1960/1961 so mine is different to all of the pictures I have seen.

From what I have found the LHD automatic selector is a rod that runs down the column into the engine bay and connects to the cable by the steering column where as the RHD automatic selector has the cable coming into the interior on above the transmission tunnel on the left side, it then runs across to a mounting bracket on the bulkhead and there is some linkage arrangement which then connects it to the selector on the column.

The diagram posted above shows how it works but on my car the linkage is slightly different and I don't have a photo of this from the strip down which is just my luck.

By the way is that the colour of your car or is it just primer, if its the colour then it appears the same as mine. My wifes not keen on the colour but I really like it.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2016, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member

I have looked at the parts diagrams, I see the early version is on the left, I have taken another look at mine, attached attached are 2 pics of where the bracket may attach (2 slotted holes to the left of the steering column mount), it appears to be in the correct place / area anyway.

It's as swine when you can't remember how it came apart and then you find you didn't get the picture either, I am dreading that part. if it was only a few weeks I would be fine, but when it takes months my memory fades, it's been a few years since I could take a car apart ,chuck it all in a box and still knew where everything went 6 months later!!!

The color is epoxy primer grey, the car will end up Gunmetal, matched from Jag paint codes, it was Beige, but I really wasn't keen on the color, so a complete respray gives me the chance to have a new color scheme.

What color is yours, I assume dove grey ?

Are you restoring it at the moment ? What stage are you at, you're not that far from me.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar MK2 RHD Auto Gear Selector-img_1311.jpg   Jaguar MK2 RHD Auto Gear Selector-img_1312.jpg  

Last edited by TilleyJon; 12-24-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:02 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the photo, my car has two holes in the bulkhead just to the left of the two pictures you have taken which appear to be the correct spacing for the bracket but when fitted in this location the cable doesn't seem to be long enough so something isn't correct.

I made a lot of notes and took loads of pictures when I stripped the car but this seems to be one area that I missed, when I took it apart it probably looked obvious how it went back together but three years later its not!

The car has been repainted in Pearl Grey which was the original colour for the car, I have a thread on here for the restoration of it but I haven't updated it for a while, I need to take some good pictures over Christmas.

I just need to sort out the gearchange cable, fit a the master cylinder (which is being resleeved at the moment) and sort out the handbrake linkage and then it will be able to move under its own steam.

Then the expensive of chrome, trim and wood will come!

Old 12-24-2016, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

That makes sense, mine is a later car, so as your linkage is on the left I would expect the bracket holes to be further left too.

Unless I'm going mad (which is possible) if the linkage is fixed to the steering column the bracket can only go in a fairly specific place as such ? I assume it's the original cable, how short is it and where are you routing it ?

I prefer darker color cars personally, but I rather like the pearl grey, pictures on the internet don't do the color justice.

I will have a look at your thread.

I have rebuilt my engine, done 95% of the welding, striping back to bare metal now, and getting into primer as I go, so respray next then re assembly, I will probably be asking you similar questions when I have forgotten where to put something important !!

I will be doing the wood myself so only time there, but I too have the trim and chrome as the 2 major expenditures yet to come.

I would love to see your car sometime, it is always great to get a boost to see what your aiming for.

Have a good Christmas, I am going to do some blasting now, putting off wrapping the presents !!!!!

Jon

Old 12-24-2016, 11:39 AM

Hi,

Your correct that the brackets can only go in a specific place which is where the holes are however, there is a metal plate welded to the bulkhead at right angles which fouls this which made me think that I had the wrong arrangement or the bracket needed to be rotated 180 degrees (which makes the cable far too short).

Having looked at my old photos it appears that this plate was bent initially and I bent it the other way when I replaced the scuttle air intake plenum.

The bulkhead on my car may have been converted from a MK1 as it has several large holes that have been welded up and a few that are just blanked with grommets and it may be that this metal plate did something in a MK1 (possibly the gear change which was in the centre of the dash I believe).

From the photos above it appears that your car doesn't have this, the photo below shows this bracket.

Merry Christmas

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar MK2 RHD Auto Gear Selector-dscf4173.jpg  
Old 12-24-2016, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Blimey that does look odd, is that bracket inside the scuttle plenum ?

I'll do some digging, I love a mystery, I have to wrap those presents now so will probably pick this up on Boxing day.

Have a great Christmas

Jon

Old 12-24-2016, 02:20 PM

The bracket is below the plenum, the photo shows the plenum removed as I had to replace it due to excess corrosion.

If only I had taken that photo!

Old 12-26-2016, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have a picture showing this underneath and where the bracket seems to want to go, I will take another look at mine to see if that helps.

Hope you had a lovely Christmas

Jon