Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/mki-mkii-s-type-240-340-daimler-61/)
-   -   Jaguar MkII/Daimler V8 Bonnet/Hood Lock Assembly (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/mki-mkii-s-type-240-340-daimler-61/jaguar-mkii-daimler-v8-bonnet-hood-lock-assembly-169294/)

Ikos 09-14-2016 05:06 AM

Jaguar MkII/Daimler V8 Bonnet/Hood Lock Assembly

After a 4 year break in the restoration of my 1965 Daimler V8 due to ill health, I have a problem with the Jaguar MkII/Daimler V8 Bonnet/Hood Lock Assembly.
I have some bits for the Lock assembly but cannot be sure I have them all, or how they are assembled and in what order.
The Daimler Spare Parts Catalogue & Service Manual do not show them.

Can anyone help me out, with photo's, diagram's or a list of parts.

I have all the parts that are on the Bonnet/Hood assembled ok, it's the parts that are mounted on the bodywork (above the Radiator Grill) that I'm having a problem with.

Any help welcome.

MK2 09-14-2016 05:35 AM

Jaguar MKII/Daimler V8 Bonnet/Hood Lock Assembly

This should help:
Bonnet Catch/Latch ? Valve Chatter

Lin

Ikos 09-14-2016 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by MK2 (Post 1534835)

Thanks Lin for your help, it would seem that I have to search my workshop for a few extra parts, the return spring, the center plate and maybe the top plate, although I have a top plate but it is without the 2-Vee folds, could the Daimler top plate be different to the Jaguar?
I assume that the 2-spacing bushes fit in the large slots in the center plate, great photo's show all the parts well, must examine your website in detail to save further headaches. Cheers

MK2 09-14-2016 01:22 PM

Don't know if the Daimler is the same or not. The bushes do fit into the slots.
Lin

Ikos 09-15-2016 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ikos (Post 1534824)
Thanks Lin for your help, it would seem that I have to search my workshop for a few extra parts, the return spring, the center plate and maybe the top plate, although I have a top plate but it is without the 2-Vee folds, could the Daimler top plate be different to the Jaguar?
I assume that the 2-spacing bushes fit in the large slots in the center plate, great photo's show all the parts well, must examine your website in detail to save further headaches. Cheers

Hi Lin,
After about 3 hours searching my Daimler parts shelves and draws I finally came up with the missing parts, (easy when I have your photo's of the missing stuff), the centre plate I found, the spring I have 3 (will have to check which one is correct after assembling all the bits on the bodywork).
The top plate looks like it did originally have the 2-Vee folds but has been flattened out giving just the flat top-hat look. Not sure if I should leave it like it is or put the Vee's back in again, why was it flattened I wonder???
Again thanks for your help.

DB999999 02-23-2019 04:02 PM

I must add my thanks to Linn too although I'm working on the same Bonnet Lock in 2019. None of the various Jaguar publications show how all the parts need to be assembled but this illustrated explanation shows it all. Now all I need to do is clean up the parts and try to assemble them as illustrated. David (DB999999)

TilleyJon 02-24-2019 10:04 AM

Lin's website should be added to the Stickies at the top of this forum, the time and effort gone into doing the website has given a vast amount of info for those following.

MK2 02-25-2019 07:15 AM

Thanks fellows! Glad to hear that some of the information provided on my site is helpful. Sorry that I sold the car before I finished the restoration, but relocating to Florida, having a much smaller shop space and etc. made the decision to sell the right one for me. The MK2 was a fun project.
Lin

Glyn M Ruck 02-25-2019 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by TilleyJon (Post 2031710)
Lin's website should be added to the Stickies at the top of this forum, the time and effort gone into doing the website has given a vast amount of info for those following.

+1^

TilleyJon 02-25-2019 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 2032116)
+1^

I have PM'd the moderator Jim but not heard back yet