Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/mki-mkii-s-type-240-340-daimler-61/)
-   -   Radar Dimax Classic 185VR15 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/mki-mkii-s-type-240-340-daimler-61/radar-dimax-classic-185vr15-213792/)

Lambretta 02-08-2019 04:26 PM

Radar Dimax Classic 185VR15

Hi
I dont know whether this has been discussed again in the past.
I am going through the MWS website and I see they are offering for sale this tyre:
Radar Dimax Classic 185VR15
It is the 1st time I see such product.
I am very close to order the Vredestein Sprint Classic 185HR15 for my 240, as the Michelin and Dunlop are almost the double price.
But the Radar Dimax Classic 185VR15 looks to be very competitive pricwise.
Any experience/feedback on these?
Cheers
Nassos

Jose 02-08-2019 04:38 PM

personally, I am very suspicious of these Chinese tires, here's a review I found:

Jaguar (275/45 R20 W) on mostly motorways for 100 average miles
I went to purchase my usual Landsail tyres that I've had for a number of years and always found them very good value for money but the dealer did not have them and sold me 2 radar tyres for £180.
4 days and 70miles later my wheels were removed for a refurb and I was amazed the inside of tyre had a bulge all around the inner edge. I had not merged it or anything like that. Went back to the garage who advised that all they could do was fill out a form but radar will claim it's my fault and the claim will be rejected. I changed back to Landsail. If anyone offers you these tyres do not accept them. Awful tyres with awful customer service.
9 - tyre reviewed on July 17, 2018

Lambretta 02-08-2019 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jose (Post 2025107)
personally, I am very suspicious of these Chinese tires, here's a review I found:

Jaguar (275/45 R20 W) on mostly motorways for 100 average miles
I went to purchase my usual Landsail tyres that I've had for a number of years and always found them very good value for money but the dealer did not have them and sold me 2 radar tyres for £180.
4 days and 70miles later my wheels were removed for a refurb and I was amazed the inside of tyre had a bulge all around the inner edge. I had not merged it or anything like that. Went back to the garage who advised that all they could do was fill out a form but radar will claim it's my fault and the claim will be rejected. I changed back to Landsail. If anyone offers you these tyres do not accept them. Awful tyres with awful customer service.
9 - tyre reviewed on July 17, 2018

fair enough, you ve said it all in your 1st sentece already
I wouldnt like to risk on a chinese tyre.
I shall go for the Vredesteins as I cannot afford the Michelins.
The 185HR Sprint Classic looks it is not available in most of the European shops.
But Vredestein importer in Greece, told me he may get them in 1 month.
So I am thinking these might be the best option for me now, considering the amount I can spend

Jose 02-08-2019 05:26 PM

i like Dunlops. Have had excellent service in my XJ-6. Never a blown tire or a flat. And they are quiet. Michelin tires last a long time but they are hard and harsh tires. Pirelli I don't trust in the rain.

Look for an All Weather tire that is quiet, some of those less expensive tires are noisy if not unsafe when they heat up.

Before you buy any tire, go to a search engine and type: "review this or that tire", Do not bother with reviews from tire sellers, all they want is to sell you tires and they make false reviews. Look for the car owner reviews, those are the ones that tell you the truth about any tire.

I understand price is always an issue, but I would look for a way to get the money for better tires.

Glyn M Ruck 02-08-2019 08:06 PM

You can't go far wrong with the Vredestein's for their price. The Michelins are the highest all round performance 185 X 15's available out there & made with the latest technology but heritage tread & would be my first choice but they are expensive ~ 185 VR 15 Michelin XVS or 185 HR 15 Michelin XVS-P . The Vredestein's are a little noisy but Jags mask it quite well. The Michelins have the softest (by design, not weakness) sidewalls so I don't understand comfort issues if correctly inflated to Michelin specs. They are also particularly quiet. They do a particularly good job of improving turn-in (tendency to understeer) & reduce wander (directional stabiity) on our old timers.

A budget tyre that has surprised us in our local club has been the 185/80 R15 93T Hankook Optimo K715 from South Korea. They don't look period due to large sidewall branding but they have proven to be of extremely decent & consistent quality & get the job done if you can't/or don't want to afford the expensive options.

The Dunlop SP Sport Aquajet 185 VR 15 is a pretty tyre on our period Jags but a little squirmy & noisy by today's standards.

Some Jag tyres over the years for interest.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...81bc0a4558.jpg

Nasher 03-30-2020 04:18 AM

Hi
i would suggest either 185VR15 Pirelli Cinturato. or if you want to make steering a little lighter 180HR15 Michelin XAS is the best value tyre for mk2 or similar car