Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/mki-mkii-s-type-240-340-daimler-61/)
-   -   Super cheap MKII (need help)! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/mki-mkii-s-type-240-340-daimler-61/super-cheap-mkii-need-help-204708/)

ummahbricks 07-10-2018 07:02 PM

Super cheap MKII (need help)!

Hey everyone! Glad to be a part of the Jag forum, I've been looking into them for a while now. Anywho, I found a guy who has an MK2 automatic that was willing to sell it to me for $1000 dollars, the body appeared mostly complete, and there was a little rust on the door and probably some underneath, but he tells me that the frame is fine (interior was a bit rough too). The seller says that it needs new brakes and battery, and while it will start, idk if it will be road worthy. I figured if I get it and like it I will keep it for a few years or if its too difficult for me to get it road worthy, I can sell it (or part out?) and make some money probably. The big issue for me is that it is so damn far away from me (8 hours one way!) and I'm not sure about the cost of shipping it over or renting a dolly to retrieve it with my dads truck. factoring all of this in, do you guys think it's worth it? :icon_blah: thanks for reading!

ummahbricks 07-10-2018 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by ummahbricks (Post 1927242)
Hey everyone! Glad to be a part of the Jag forum, I've been looking into them for a while now. Anywho, I found a guy who has an MK2 automatic that was willing to sell it to me for $1000 dollars, the body appeared mostly complete, and there was a little rust on the door and probably some underneath, but he tells me that the frame is fine (interior was a bit rough too). The seller says that it needs new brakes and battery, and while it will start, idk if it will be road worthy. I figured if I get it and like it I will keep it for a few years or if its too difficult for me to get it road worthy, I can sell it (or part out?) and make some money probably. The big issue for me is that it is so damn far away from me (8 hours one way!) and I'm not sure about the cost of shipping it over or renting a dolly to retrieve it with my dads truck. factoring all of this in, do you guys think it's worth it? :icon_blah: thanks for reading!

Big correction, it's an S type from the 60s!

JeffR1 07-10-2018 09:03 PM

It's worth a 1000.00 in parts.
Interior of the S-type is expensive to restore, lots of wood and leather _ headliner is a pain to deal with too.
Do you have a place to restore it, how's your sheet metal welding skills ?
For that price, it will need body work in the usual places, headlights, rear quarter panels, door bottoms, front park lights _ on and on.
Jacking points will probably be gone too.

GGG 07-11-2018 06:14 AM

The reality is that an unmolested Jaguar of this era is likely to require full restoration. You give no indiction of your or the vehicle's location so I cannot factor in the probability of how extensive the rust will be.

If you absolutely want a Jaguar and you definitely want a 60's era model, it will be a major but by mo means an unsurmountable challenge. Restoration costs will far exceed the final value of the vehicle so you have to be very determined and probably sacrifice a lot of other desires to succeed.

If it's a only whim, lie down in a dark room until the madness passes.

Graham

Jose 07-11-2018 07:36 PM

an unmolested Jaguar of that era is likely to require full restoration? is that a typo, Graham?

I have an unmolested and unrestored 1965 S type that needs no restoration. Zero, nada, It is absolutely rust free bottom to top, and completely original except for a respray in 1984 which it still wears today, and any modifications I have made to it for safety or comfort.

Now if you are talking mechanical rebuild, that's a different story. All old cars need something rebuilt always all the time.

But a body restoration?, that's another $20.00 dollar matter.

Jose 07-11-2018 07:38 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...98f6ae9edc.jpg

lickahotskillet 07-13-2018 09:38 PM

is it this one?

1968 Jaguar 340 3.4 Sedan for sale: photos, technical specifications, description

Are you looking at this one?

Jose 07-15-2018 07:59 AM

that is not a S type, it is a 340. A MK2 with a 3.4 litre engine and vinyl upholstery. The MK2 was renamed "340" in 1967 and 1968, the last two years of the MK2 body production.
There were a few 380 made (3.8 litre engine) but they have no "380" emblems in the trunk lid because Jaguar decided to not make the 380 emblems.

JeffR1 07-15-2018 10:08 AM

I think he's pulling your leg Jose.... :icon_lurk5:

lickahotskillet 07-15-2018 10:12 PM

Pulling ummbricks leg.

JeffR1 07-16-2018 01:52 AM

I meant that too...
:icon_munching:

lickahotskillet 07-16-2018 06:18 AM

The funny part is how long that car has been for sale here in Ohio. He won't part it out. Someone told him it could be restored.