Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area - Intro a MUST (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/)
-   -   03 S-type R (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/03-s-type-r-5489/)

Jet Jag 04-12-2008 03:29 AM

03 S-type R

I have an opportunity to purchase a fully-loaded 2003 Jaguar S-type R for just under 20k. I am psyched about it. I was just wondering: how many of you use your jags as daily drivers? How much maintenance do the newer onesrequire (are they in the shop as often as the older ones)? Just how expensive can they get compared to other cars?

Keith 04-12-2008 07:17 AM

RE: 03 S-type R

Jet Jag. I see you've fallen for the hype about the older Jaguars. I use my 85 XJ-6 every other day, year round. The other days I drive my 95 XJS, and neither are in the shop alot. Not in the shop at all. You see, most older cars have been victim of abuse by previous owners, by not doing the proper maintenance. Not the cars fault. Even an old Jaguar with lots of problems, once gone over and properly maintained, will prove to be even more reliable than the one your looking at. The newer Jaguars are very reliable autos and my experience is, drive them daily, and you'll drive them longer. They do much better by driving, as they were built for, than making garage queens out of them. You do that and your asking for problems. I generally don't try to correct people when they think the older ones are unreliable, because it keeps the prices low for those of us that know better and like to pick up a new one every now and then. Good luck. Keith

conipc 04-12-2008 09:56 AM

I have an 03 S-Type R which is my only car, and driven almost daily. If you have one that has been properly maintained and has had all the updates (see www.thelurch.com) you have about the best bang for any buck, and no reliability problems

bmw745ion19s 04-12-2008 03:13 PM

I drive mine every day also right now and its great. Like he said maintnance is def. the key. When i first got mine it had 2 very through visits at the dealer where they went over and found every littel thing questionable and fixed it under warranty. How many miles does the one youre looking at have? do you know the owners? any warranty on it? I would NEVER buy one without a warranty, it can easily pay for itself in just one small visit!

Dennis 04-12-2008 04:26 PM

Enjoy the STR..very nice car..Hope your headlights are okay too..:eek:

Jet Jag 04-12-2008 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: bmw745ion19s

I drive mine every day also right now and its great. Like he said maintnance is def. the key. When i first got mine it had 2 very through visits at the dealer where they went over and found every littel thing questionable and fixed it under warranty. How many miles does the one youre looking at have? do you know the owners? any warranty on it? I would NEVER buy one without a warranty, it can easily pay for itself in just one small visit!
It has 75,000 miles on it. There is still two years and 25,000 miles left on the warranty. He is the sewcond owner.I do not personally know the owner,but he comes from a very well-off family, and they have a reputation for taking meticulous care of their vehicles. He only uses 91 octane shell gasoline, and royal purple synthetic oil. He has all his oil changes and very basic maintenancedone here at a jag-certified JiffyLube, and all realservice done at a jag dealer in Denver, Colorado.

Dennis 04-12-2008 06:31 PM

So...Oil changes with a synthetic didn't void the warranty?..Just wanted to make certain..:D

Jaguarnaut 04-15-2008 03:27 PM

Drive it Daily Buddy.....I do :)

Jet Jag 04-16-2008 09:37 AM

The guy is asking $19,300. According to nada, this is a killer price, but I know that book value can sometimes get behind market value. So, what do you guys have to say, is this a fair price?

bigdreams05 04-16-2008 11:43 AM

Truth is, market value right now is SUPER low on EVERY car because of the conditions of our economy. The price isn't bad, but you can find them for less, with less miles, like this 2004 S-Type R with 42K miles for $17,600

Cadillac 04-17-2008 04:42 PM

Drive it like you baby it [8D]

Welcome ;)

JimC64 04-17-2008 06:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 191814Attachment 191815Attachment 191816

Welcome to the forum jet jag and good luck

Jim

Jet Jag 04-19-2008 12:35 AM

I got the car. It's sick! I am officially spoiled, and I will probably never be able to own anything else.

Stamford 04-19-2015 08:24 PM

Hi,
I saw an silver XK8 convertible in Darien, CT yesterday with the license plate, JetJag. Was that you?

Thanks!

GGG 04-20-2015 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Stamford (Post 1210092)
Hi,
I saw an silver XK8 convertible in Darien, CT yesterday with the license plate, JetJag. Was that you?

Thanks!

Sounds possible but I doubt Bradley (JetJag) will see your post. His last forum login was approaching six years ago:
  • Last Activity: 03-07-2009 07:30 PM
Graham

Stamford 04-20-2015 08:11 AM

Thanks, Graham. Yeah I saw he was not too active, but figured it was worth a shot. I've seen him twice and will probably see him again. Our cars look identical at a glance. Wondering if his is carbon fiber, too.