Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area - Intro a MUST (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/)
-   -   Greetings from Southern California! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/greetings-southern-california-127259/)

his196 09-24-2014 07:00 PM

Greetings from Southern California!

Hello all.

Working on a 1966 Jag. 3.8 S Type. Automatic.
Sky Blue.
4th owner.

Getting it ready to sell actually, as it's been in the family about 15 years.

Changed all fluids, battery etc. and went to fire it up, but lo and behold, NO IGNITION keys! Uggh.

Ordered new set. They came today.

Now, how to remove the OLD ignition cylinder without having the key?

Looking forward to any help!

Cheers.

LnrB 09-24-2014 10:48 PM

Hello, and welcome to the forums.
Once you drive the car you might just decide to keep it.
Someone in the S-type section will probably be able to help you with your key problem.
Welcome again, from ElinorB.
(';')

Grant Francis 09-25-2014 07:46 AM

Welcome.

o1xjr 09-25-2014 07:55 AM

Welcome to the forum

Norri 09-25-2014 02:22 PM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums his196,

Good to have you with us.
You'll find the tech area for your car here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/mki-mkii-s-type-240-340-daimler-61/ and don't neglect the regional area https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/usa-western-ak-ca-nv-ut-hi-wa-id-38/
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

GGG 09-25-2014 05:55 PM

Welcome to the forum his196,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

How you tackle the ignition depends on whether you have a new barrel or a complete new lock.

Follow Norri's link in post #5 to the MKI / MKII /S-Type forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

JimC64 09-25-2014 06:45 PM

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, Supermoderator and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

sklimii 09-25-2014 07:56 PM

welcome to the forum, follow the links Norri has provided to a wealth of info and support - enjoy!!!

his196 09-26-2014 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 1066059)
Welcome to the forum his196,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

How you tackle the ignition depends on whether you have a new barrel or a complete new lock.

Follow Norri's link in post #5 to the MKI / MKII /S-Type forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Hey there, thanks.

I ordered a new cylinder set, with new key.

Ended up taking Ignition out of Panel, and to local locksmith to drill-out/remove existing cylinder.

Will pick up tomorrow and install new cylinder.

Will advise.

Meanwhile, what COULD I have done?

GGG 09-26-2014 02:30 AM

That's taking me back a lot of years!

When we had a working key but a failed switch, we took the full lock assembly out and drilled out the tiny 'roll pin' that fixes the cylinder to the housing. With the key inserted, the cylinder then slides out. Doing the same with the new assembly, the original cylinder was fitted avoiding the necessity of a new (and different) key.

Having a similar but worse problem on an XJ6 Series One where the key was also sticking, I found a locksmith who was able to match the new cylinder to my original key.

Graham

his196 09-27-2014 02:13 AM

Hey there,

Thanks, but we don't have the original key, so I had to remove Ignition Assembly and take to local locksmith to drill out.

Will advise.

~Chris

Don B 10-02-2014 07:45 PM

his196,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

Cheers,

Don