Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area - Intro a MUST (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/)
-   -   hi (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/hi-2993/)

uphjly 10-28-2007 09:34 AM

hi

Hi everyone, another Jaguar fan from Canada. I'm just looking to buy another car. I owned a 1995 xj and absolutely loved it, actually it has ruined driving any other car. I got divorced 6 years ago and lost the car because of finicial reasons (support payments), and I just gotten to the point I can afford another used Jaguar. Funny I've stayed away from looking and reading about the newer Jaguars till the last few months, I didn't want to drive myself crazy over something I couldn't have. But I've started to investigate and I thought I could afford a 1998-2000 XJ8, but after reading about the engine issues I'm thinking about another XJ 1995-1997, the car I did own was grat for reliablity, the onlt thing that failed in 2 years 40,000 k/m was an O2 sensor, and again I loved how it drove, so I'll be looking through all your posts and try to get a feel for which model will suit me best, looking forward to gaing information and hopefully adding my 2 cents when I can.

bigdreams05 10-28-2007 10:14 AM

RE: hi

Welcome mate. What budget are you working with? You'd be surprised what the prices are now-a-days on these baby's. Not because of how unreliable they are, but because of the extremely bad rep they got at the end of the millenium. I agree with not going with that 98-00 XK or XJ because of the Nikasil issues, but don't discount one that has had the engine replaced and that you could probably get at a great price. I would definitely make sure that the engine HAS DEFINITELY been replaced.

uphjly 10-28-2007 10:28 AM

Thanks for the welcome,
I have a budget of 10,000, tops, but with the value of the Canadian dollar in the US , it opens up a much bigger market for me. Sounds like the motor issue of the early 8's is quite serious, funny how my experience with my '95 had changed the way I looked at Jaquar, and now when I start looking again the old theory on unreliable and too expensive to repair is attached to the early 8 cylinders. Sounds like I will try to find another xj6. I really loved that car, drove it all year and believe me it plowed through snow like a freight train, and when it was on the highway 160 km/h was where it was just getting comfortable.

bigdreams05 10-28-2007 12:02 PM

Take a look at this one. Not too far from the border, so coming down would be easy for you.
2001 XJ8 w/ 85K miles and a bit over $10K

Or for a nice winter car, look at this. The 04+ X-type is very reliable, unlike SOME of it's older brothers.
2004 X-type with 30K miles and a little under $12K

I think that the X-type is beautiful and the AWD is by far the best in it's class. I would look for a steal like that. That just my opinion though.

uphjly 10-28-2007 12:54 PM

Thanks for the tip. I am planning on going to the states unless of course I find a mint car in eastern Canada. I do think however I have changed my focus to a xj6 after reading the reports on the failed engines in the 8 cyclinder cars, now I have to research to xjr (6) of course the xjr has always been the dream car for me I'm just not sure if its reasonable if I'm planning on driving it all year. Thanks again for the help.

Cadillac 10-28-2007 01:16 PM

Welcome !
Congrats on your decision and hope you will get what you want

bigdreams05 10-28-2007 02:52 PM

You're right, XJR is not a reliable car for daily drive. Now don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but I wouldn't drive it daily. Just my opinion. Forced Induction + Daily Driving + Old Jaguar = NO NO! (This is just my opinion though)

Jaguarnaut 10-30-2007 02:01 PM

Hi and Welcome to the Forums.

JimC64 10-30-2007 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 195488

Hi there uphjly..............welcome to the forums buddy.
Always nice to see another new face.
Look forward to seeing more of you around the forums and good luck with the hunt for your next Jag;)

Jim

zeek 10-30-2007 09:18 PM

Hey, and welcome!