New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New to the forum, and need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 12:05 PM
ROC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum, and need some advice

Hi ! My name is Roc and I have lived on Cape Cod, MA just about all my life. I have a 99 xjr I bought in 07 down in Coral Gables FL Drove it back here and around for bout six months. Any way started it all the time and drove around the block once in a while. Then started rattling so come to find out the upper tensioners were cracked ,so my buddy replaced them.Put it back togeather and it runs alot smoother but it still has a rattling noise and another tapping noise. Im really bummed out I want to drive this car. Its really nice and only has 75.000 on it. Right now I have the drive side -cover off . Does anyone have an idea on what I should do Thanx Roc

Old 07-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum ROC, I've always wanted to visit your area.

Regards tech advice, head on over to the XJR section, the guys will be able to advise you.

The following users liked this post:
ROC (07-13-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Welcome to the forum Roc,

I'm sure some of the XJR guys will be able to advise you.

ROC (07-13-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi Roc welcome aboard JF good to have you here as part of the forum

There's more than a few threads on the subject and quite a few have done this job with write up c/w pics etc, so there should be some good info out there if you do a search. Posting in the correct section will help you get better results too

share some pics when you can please!!

Loads going on, plenty of very friendly and helpful members as well as some excellent tech advice......all good!

In the meantime I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site

ROC (07-13-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Engine noises as you describe them can be a real PITA to nail down. Are you familiar with the mechanic's stethoscope ?

You need a long shaft screwdriver which you press down onto a part of the engine (running), and put other end to ear and assess whether sound is on the other side of the cover you are pressing against. If the cam chain slipped on the sprocket you could have bent a valve. Other test is to check cylinder compressions using a compression tester. If one is very low compared to the other, AND that is where the noise is, its head removal time to replace the valve.

And what do you mean by "drive side cover" - driving what ?

ROC (07-13-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com.

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.

ROC (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 12:33 PM
ROC

Ahhhhh !!!! Yes, Finally got this J/F. half way figured out, and got my computer fixed. Its been a rough start . So I`d like to say thank you people so much for being patient with me and for giving me some ideas on how to work with the J/F. Ill be back after break Thanx, Roc

Old 07-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Default New member intro

Good day everyone. I just picked up a used 2002 x-type. It's the sport model with the 3.0 engine. It's been fun to drive so. I went with the AWD due to the amount of winter driving I will be doing. I was having some issues with it and found this site was quite informative.
I'm still working on the same problem that led me to this site. If anyone can help that would be great.

The low beam headlights didn't work. After taking the back of the housings off I realized there were no bulbs. I put new ones in but only one worked. I switched the bulbs and ignitors around and it appears to be a wiring problem. Both bulbs and ignitors work on the drivers side, nothing works on the passenger side. What confusing me is that when I removed the connector from the ignitor and put a voltmeter on the three pins at the igniter(white, black,green), I don't have any voltage on any of the wires. Both sides (right and left) have no voltage. How can the left side light up when there is no voltage on any pin.

Anyway thanks for letting me join your site. I find it interesting that other people end up having the same problems as I do.