Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area - Intro a MUST (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/)
-   -   New(ish) Member Seeking Advice (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/new-ish-member-seeking-advice-150104/)

lighterthanair 09-19-2015 08:44 AM

New(ish) Member Seeking Advice

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Everyone,

I've been rummaging around the forum trying to educate myself on an XKR, which I have just about decided upon as a practical car. My primary problems are deciding upon the best model year and finding one at a reasonable price point.

My background - I live in the Middle East and am about to retire next year to North Texas. I have a background in road racing, having won a couple of championships, so power and getting a car out of shape in a corner is no problem. I also own a Lotus Elise (hence "lighterthanair"), but it's not a daily driver really. A GT is more practical, although that's a relative thing.

It seems that a 2010 model should be fine. Problems seem focused on water pumps, timing tensioners, and niggly electrical gremlins due, it seems, to parasitic drain on the battery. I'm looking at a convertible, if that matters. My wife would occasionally drive the car (she's terrified of the Elise, an attitude which I don't discourage).

Any advice would be welcomed. Incidentally, I would do most of the work on the car myself.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Stephen.

PS: Here's my baby....

LnrB 09-19-2015 09:29 AM

Hello, Stephen,
What a pretty car!!
Another member who likes to drive fast!
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Grant Francis 09-19-2015 09:44 AM

Welcome.

Lots of info in the related sections for any model you are "thinking" about.

A quick post in those areas would get some very quick answers.

GGG 09-19-2015 05:09 PM

Welcome to the forum Stephen,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

It sounds like you've already found your way to the X150 tech forum so there's no need for a link to it from me.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Daf11e 09-19-2015 06:17 PM

Welcome aboard Stephen.

Norri 09-20-2015 06:07 AM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Stephen,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

sklimii 09-20-2015 07:33 AM

<p>welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!</p>

lighterthanair 09-20-2015 08:22 AM

Thank you all for the welcomes. I'm still very much in a learning mode regarding the XKR, and have been rummaging around to find out likely issues, best model year for the money, etc. I'll post over on the X150 area to hopefully get some feedback on specific questions.

Thanks again,

Stephen.

o1xjr 09-20-2015 04:43 PM

Welcome to the forum

JimC64 09-24-2015 08:36 PM

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.