New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Member “Southern California”.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 06:49 AM
DMC
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New Member “Southern California”.

Hello everyone, I recently was gifted a hibernating 2001 S Type 3.0., my first ever Jag. This car was parked and left to sleep since 2014. After it stopped running and the previous owner not mechanically inclined laid it to rest. Once towed to my home, not really knowing what I was going to be up against, along with a tight budget and not wanting to be buried into financial debt. I started with replacing the battery with a decent used one $85.00, the kitty cranked very strong but wouldn’t fire up “ I suspected the fuel pump” I purchased a fuel pump from Autozone $150.00 lifetime warranty...the kitty fired right up and ran for about 2 minutes slowly died out. I thought to my self I should have removed the old fuel less than a 1/4 tank I probably clogged up fuel lines filter or injectors. This kitty was mad, I could not get it to fire back up for the life of me. I decided to add in new fuel about 15 gallons of 91 octane along with Heat fuel treatment moisture remover and a can of Sea Foam additive. Still no luck. I then felt as if I killed the new pump. I switched it out and still no luck. I then changed the fuel pressure regulator hoping that would help still no luck. I checked all fuses relays and the shut off switch on drivers side along the fender wall still no luck. This kitty was out. Hoping by chance I got a bad fuel pump I switched it out a 3 time this time I could hear it go on. But the kitty continued to sleep. The other 2 pumps made no noise. I knew I was getting close. Now keep in mind the time I have to work on this car is very limited only about 4 hours every month. After more digging and research I took out the Fuel sending unit behind the drivers seat opposite side of fuel pump. I found that one of the hoses was completely deteriorated. After looking online for that Unit the least expensive one I found was $395. Not wanting to spend that kind of money yet I decided to repair the hose with Fuel safe vinyl hose and some hose clamps. Well The hose I found didn’t quite bend and flex the way I’d like and it seemed to have a very slight kink in it. Put it all back together and also changed out the inline fuel filter. No luck. At this point I gave up. Checked the fuses,relays again. I broke down and had the kitty towed to my mechanic said My hands are up you take over usually I don’t give up. But not ever working or owning a Jag was a bit intimidating. Even looking at how tight everything is under the hood. I’m used to my Suburban or 88 Benz. After one week my mechanic calls me up and says the kitty is purring, He replaces the fuel pump. That all it was. So now 4 new tires $400 went on it. Along with oil change $50 and a drivers side window regulator $750 the car was running. I drove it home on the city streets. Ran great.once I took it on the Freeway the kitty wouldn’t shift past 3. I suspected low tranny fluid. Back to the mechanic drained the fluid, changed the filter and added new fluid along with a can of Trans Tune by sea foam. $120.00 Drove the kitty around still no luck. I did tons of research on the Jag through this forum finding out about a spring that breaks on the valve body. I ordered the spring by sonex $12.00 and back to the mechanic we rolled. Now my mechanic does not do transmissions he sends those out. I was on my own renting out one of his bays. Well this is my first ever attempt on any transmission why not jump right into the fire and make it a Jag. Meticulously taking my time and cleaning as I go I was able to remove valve body remove the 3-4 stroke cylinder and find the broken spring. Put it all back together added new oil and a 1/2 can of Trans Tune another $120.00. Lowe’s the car off the lift exited as hell backed up only to find I had only reverse gear now. Crap I just made it worse I thought to myself. Put the car back up started at it again valve body in hand literally poking around found one cylinder would slide out and realized this one needs to be connected to the Gear shifter. All back together out for a test drive and the kitty shifted through all gears and runs great. All except for the eater I had no hot air. Where I live it gets averages between 28°-50°. I decided to change the thermostat $25.00 maybe that would work, no luck along with changing the thermostat when I replaced the lower radiator hose I didn’t notice one of the 2 hoses that run to the oil cooler was rubbing on the serpentine belt causing a leak. Well back to the drawing board. New belt $35, new lower radiator hose,$65.00 Coolant $45.00, DCCV $65.00, new Bosch iridium 2 plugs $50.00, 6 coils $100.00. Upper gasket $25.00 air filter $20.00, cabin air filter $15.00, MAF cleaner $10.00 and about 8 hours of labor. The most difficult pain in the ars items to remove were the DCCV and the oil cooler to change the lower radiator hose. Well it’s all done and this kitty has hot air, I did end up putting back the old thermostat being the new one was making the auxiliary fan run all the time. Anyhow I’m about 6 tanks of fuel into my driving about 1800 miles and I still have some issues. I’m a bit puzzled on these but have my suspects.
CURRENT ISSUES.
1. when i allow the fuel gage to reach 1/4 tank the Kitty drives as if it’s running out of fuel. Won’t go over 30 mph. with a full tank it runs fine. Except for the following When I try to give a decent amount 3/4 acceleration the engine bogges down and won’t accelerate. Or if I’m climbing a decent hill the engine bogges down and won’t accelerate.
I did do the deal with resetting the throttle as per this forum. I’m stuck now not sure what else it may be. I’m suspecting something to do with the fuel sending unit. I have no engine light on or codes to share only a Lazy kitty who like to be driven easy. On a flat road the kitty responds decent and I’ve had it up to 100 no issues. It’s only when I accelerate rapidly or hills I have the issue. Thanks for reading I hope you enjoyed my story. By the way I love this car.

The following 2 users liked this post by DMC:
GGG (03-08-2019), Norri (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 07:44 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Welcome to the forum DMC,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums. Great Intro and, YES, I did enjoy reading your story. You could have titled the thread "free Jaguar only costs $2537"!

Follow this link
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ed-v8-x200-15/ to the S-Type forum for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Western Region forum by following this link
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-western-38/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 03-08-2019, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

What a story! You have Incredible tenacity!
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 03-08-2019, 09:46 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 03-08-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

From one S-type owner to another... Welcome. The S-type forum is populated with a very friendly group and contains a wealth of knowledge.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums DMC,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 03-08-2019, 02:11 PM
Received 3,815 Likes on 2,789 Posts

Welcome aboard.....nice intro.

Trending Topics

Old 03-08-2019, 07:58 PM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

I have said thousands of times:

"ALL Jaguars are female", and you just proved it.

Well done from down under.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forums.