Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area - Intro a MUST (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/)
-   -   New member: 2004 XJ8 in Maryland (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/new-member-2004-xj8-maryland-159955/)

Dan.B 03-23-2016 08:46 PM

New member: 2004 XJ8 in Maryland

I have been the owner of a 2004 XJ8 for about 11 years. It's my wife's daily driver, but I still consider it at least half mine. "Sofia" has been very good to us maintenance-wise.

Maintenance History: Only one failure of consequence on the road (thermostat) in 147k miles. We've taken good care of her by performing most of the maintenance on schedule at the dealer. At 120k we had a transmission issue and the dealer wanted to replace it for $7.5k. Checked with my independent, and he replaced the pan due to a leak at the seal. 27k later she's still running fine--not going back to the dealer any time soon. I've replaced the front shocks with new Arnotts because we were losing air when it got below freezing. Other maintenance items are popping up, as I expect them to . I need to replace the suspension bushings and I get the amber engine light from time to time. So far it goes away. I had Sophia checked out by my mechanic and we have decided that she is in great shape for her age and I plan to keep her for another 100k, although I'm obviously expecting increased maintenance costs.

Help I would like: I love your forum--I've already learned a considerable amount by reading past postings--it took me most of the weekend. But, there are a couple questions I have. (1) where can I get information on part numbers for the bushings (for the control arms in particular); (2) where can I get a CD/DVD that contains service instructions and part numbers? If there's no CD/DVD available, is there a website I can subscribe to?

Help I can provide: I am not a trained mechanic, but I have 11 years working with the car as an amateur and I've learned a lot. I also own a 1989 560SL and a 1983 911SC so I am accustomed to "issues" with classic cars. At appropriate times I hope I can pass on some of my experiences to others and save them some time and effort.

Looking forward to conversing with you.

Dan

LnrB 03-23-2016 11:22 PM

Hello, Dan,
If you've been lurking and learning in the Xj8 section all this time, certainly you could ask your questions there, and members who Know Xj8s will be able to help you. In fact, that's why there are so many sections in here.

I wish you success, and many Tens of Thousands more miles from Sofia.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Grant Francis 03-24-2016 12:15 AM

Welcome.

I would ask that question in the X350 section, and I reckon the numbers will be easily given.

Daf11e 03-24-2016 12:40 AM

Welcome aboard Dan.

o1xjr 03-24-2016 02:23 AM

Welcome to the forum

sklimii 03-24-2016 07:29 AM

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Norri 03-24-2016 08:41 AM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Dan,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

GGG 03-24-2016 06:26 PM

Welcome to the forum Dan,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I can see you've already found your way to the X350 forum so there's no need for a link to it from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Mid Atlantic Region forum by following this link US Mid Atlantic - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

JimC64 03-27-2016 07:46 PM

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<