Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area - Intro a MUST (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/)
-   -   New member and new Jaguar owner (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/new-member-new-jaguar-owner-118563/)

Paul792 05-25-2014 10:30 PM

New member and new Jaguar owner

Hello to all
I have recently purchased a 1999 Jaguar S type and I am grateful for this forum. From a quick look around it has a great deal of information from members.

My car is 15 years old (no doubt with the problems that 15 years can bring) and I hope to benefit from the knowledge and expertise of others. However, I plan on doing most of the repair work myself, so if I learn anything worthwhile I will post it in.

Kind regards Paul

avt007 05-25-2014 11:51 PM

Welcome aboard! You'll find this to be a fun and friendly group. Dig in, poke around, and ask lots of questions.

If someone's post is helpful, please thank them using the "thanks" button.

If you have good information on a problem, please share it.

Post some pictures of your car when you can.

Grant Francis 05-26-2014 02:33 AM

Welcome Paul,

'99 S Type, V6 or V8?, no matter, 15 years is NOT old trust me.

My 2 are not much younger, and NO isses that are age related. Lousy servicing etc by fools is not to be blamed on the car.

See ya on teh S Type forum.

Paul792 05-26-2014 04:28 AM

Thanks for the welcome AVT007.

I have noticed already a few detailed and well photographed posts (clock spring /steering column for one).

It is a beautiful looking car but has a worrying amount of electrical gear. 3 fuse boxes!

Totally different from any car I have owned. The smell of the leather reminds me of my father's Austin A90 from the distant past.

Paul792 05-26-2014 04:44 AM

It is a V6 SE and I bought it in an online auction two weeks ago. It has done 166,000km and appears to have been looked after and serviced regularly (except perhaps the last owner). It has some electrical gremlins. I posted "steering column locked" in S Type forum.

Thanks for the vote of confidence re- age of car. The photo in the signature is from the auction. I haven't taken any pictures as yet. But its a lot prettier than my old Falcon.

Grant Francis 05-26-2014 05:15 AM

Maaaaate Falcon, oh dear, you must be in 7th heaven

Battery oomph is #1 on these, so if the age is unknown, replace it with a Din 88.

Service the engine, I run 5W/30 Nulon Synthetic, Z632 oil filter.

Trans service is MANDATORY, and again Synthetic trans oil. I did a write up a while back (see stickies in S forum) about the trans servicing, might assist a tad.

The rest is no different really to any other car.

The clockspring I have read about, but no nothing about. My Black beast "chirps" sometimes from the column, but I just put that down to the fact the thing is "alive", and thats it.

Oh, forgot, it happens, the Power Steer fluid is "special" and I use Penrite PAS, whish is Green, and exactly the Spec for the Ford rack in our early cars. Mine had ATF when I got it, and steering was lousy/noisey/etc, and now after 4 syringe out and top off, is SWEET.

o1xjr 05-26-2014 06:12 AM

Welcome to the forum

sklimii 05-26-2014 06:27 AM

welcome to the forum, as you have found there is a wealth of info and support here.

enjoy

Norri 05-26-2014 12:42 PM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Paul,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

GGG 05-26-2014 05:12 PM

Welcome to the forum Paul,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I can see you've already found your way to the S-Type tech section so there's no need for a link to it. The
'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Schwabe 05-27-2014 08:07 AM

welcome and enjoy the board

JimC64 05-27-2014 06:54 PM

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Paul792 05-28-2014 04:10 AM

Thanks for the welcome Jim and the links and upgrade.

I have a link for an s type workshop manual that has been useful to me. If you think other members can use it I will post the link. I believe it is from Jaguar and may be common knowledge but also was not sure if this is allowed.

Paul

Paul792 05-28-2014 04:13 AM

Thanks for the welcome Graham. Going by the welcoming posts it is a friendly place to be.
Paul

Paul792 05-28-2014 04:15 AM

Thanks for the welcome Norri.

Paul792 05-28-2014 04:17 AM

Thanks for the welcome Scwabe.
Paul

Paul792 05-28-2014 04:19 AM

Thanks for the welcome Sklimii. The support and info is great.
Paul

Paul792 05-28-2014 04:32 AM

Hi Grant
I am hoping it is simply the battery (I once owned a truck with a smaller battery but this is a good thing). As the problem doesn't happen all the time I am apprehensive about getting stuck somewhere out of mobile range. I have not had it tested yet. Once this is known I will post. I am in roadservice, RACQ, but until the fault recurs don't want to waste their time. But when it does I'm sure they wont mind testing the battery.

Thanks for the information steering and oil changing and I will look up your post on the tranny.

Paul

i

GGG 05-28-2014 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Paul792 (Post 984364)
Thanks for the welcome Jim and the links and upgrade.

I have a link for an s type workshop manual that has been useful to me. If you think other members can use it I will post the link. I believe it is from Jaguar and may be common knowledge but also was not sure if this is allowed.

Paul

Paul,

We have JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information System - the factory Workshop Manual for all models up to 2004) available as a free download from the forum.

Jaguar moved to an online system after 2004 and a number of enterprising individuals have seen an opportunity to make money by putting together PDF's using this as a source.

Are you using one of these or another option?

Graham

Paul792 05-29-2014 04:37 AM

Hi Graham
The workshop manual is from Jaguar.com in pdf February 1999. I haven't
looked on the Jaguar Forum enough to find you have this covered.
Thanks Paul