Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area - Intro a MUST (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/)
-   -   New member from Wilmington NC USA (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/new-member-wilmington-nc-usa-217859/)

phillipreid 05-16-2019 09:39 AM

New member from Wilmington NC USA

Hello--I'm Phillip and I've been lurking on here for a while, to learn some nuts and bolts stuff about the car I want to buy next year--a 2007--2009 XJ VDP. It was time to join. I want plenty of time to learn all I can about these cars (and also time to lust for one properly). I know that it may well take months to find the right one once I am free to shop. That's ok. I have my sweet 2006 S2000 to drive in the meantime--and will still have it when I get the Jag. It makes sense to round out our little "fleet" of a great sports car and a great SUV (2005 Pilot EX-L) with a great ultra-luxury sedan. I've compiled a list of things to know and look out for when shopping for one of these, based on the posts dedicated to that topic here, and from some buyers' guides online.

I will be looking for the nicest example I can find, with more of an emphasis on condition and history of care than ultra-low mileage, which can be overrated. It would seem, from what I've seen, that those go in the $12-17K range USD.

My interest in this car really started when I was in high school in '85, '86. The XJ has always been one of my favorite luxury sedans to look at and fantasize about owning, though of course when I got older I became aware of the reputation of '70s and '80s Jaguars. I'm still strongly drawn to the looks of this car, inside and out, and so happy that its styling carried forward with such consistency in an industry always obsessed with changing even a good thing just to change it.

The aggregate of what I've learned is that the modern XJ is a good car, if it is properly cared-for--and that applies to any car, "even" a Honda (it is false that you can treat a Honda any old way and have no problems with it--they are CARS).

My mom has a friend here who owns an '08 which he dearly loves, and he will be my source for local indy shop work. (He does take his out of town to the dealer once a year for a once-over.)

Anyway that's why I'm here and I look forward to all I can learn from y'all. Thanks for reading.

GGG 05-16-2019 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by phillipreid (Post 2071507)
..... with more of an emphasis on condition and history of care than ultra-low mileage, which can be overrated. ....

Welcome to the forums Phillip,

That's the most valuable lesson in used Jaguar buying!

It sounds like you've already found your way to the X350 forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

You can also visit the US Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...r-atlantic-66/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums and your search for the best XJ.

Graham

phillipreid 05-16-2019 12:18 PM

Thanks Graham. Good to know I'm headed in the right direction.

Norri 05-16-2019 01:12 PM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Phillip,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Daf11e 05-16-2019 03:34 PM

Welcome aboard Phillip.

phillipreid 05-16-2019 03:54 PM

Thanks Norri--good idea.

phillipreid 05-16-2019 03:54 PM

Thanks Jim!

sklimii 05-16-2019 04:15 PM

welcome to he forum - enjoy!!

LnrB 05-16-2019 06:07 PM

Hello, Phillip,
I wish you success on your search for the Perfect Jaguar!
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Grant Francis 05-16-2019 08:38 PM

Welcome to the Forums.

YES, previous owner care, or lack off, is the deal breaker for me always.

Good luck.

o1xjr 05-17-2019 06:58 AM

Welcome to the forums.

phillipreid 05-26-2019 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii (Post 2071708)
welcome to he forum - enjoy!!

Thanks--you are not too far from me down in SC...

phillipreid 05-26-2019 01:14 PM

Thanks--it will require patience on this one. The really good ones don't come up much. Most are over 100K--some closer to 200--which isn't necessarily a deal-breaker but they're also multiple-owner and on your average corner discount used-car lot for 8K. I'm looking for one that should cost me close to twice that. I may be looking for quite some time, so it's ok that I can't buy right now.

JasonwiththeXJ6 05-26-2019 06:16 PM

Welcome. I’m new here too and learning.