Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area - Intro a MUST (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/)
-   -   New member: X-type gearbox issues (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/new-member-x-type-gearbox-issues-129051/)

notch383 10-18-2014 03:26 PM

New member: X-type gearbox issues

Issue w/ 2005 X-Type 3.0 automatic, just stopped starting. Possibly related, about 1 year ago car started making this bad grinding when starting, as if already running, but only happened about once a month. I'd just set and disable alarm again and it'd then start right up?? Thought may have been just alarm but has gotten worse and other problems I see on here may be culpable.

So then one day it just stopped starting. All fully powered just didn't even turn over. Here's what I've done to try to fix so far:

Replaced Battery- no change at all

Pulled out TCM & inspected ECM- seemed dry and no corrosion/damage

Replaced the whole J-gate and Shifter assembly hoping it'd fix...it didn't

Now, when turn key, Reverse light is on but shifter is in Park. If put Shifter in Drive, Neutral lights up, and car will start. Only the R and N lights ever light up. Guess transmission cable needs to be adjusted?

Here's potential bigger issue: Car still only goes into and moves in Reverse!!! I think the cable may still be an issue but it doesn't move or even seem to engage into any gear, except Reverse???

Says Gearbox fault randomly and computer read PO706 at first, transmission range sensor and currenty reads PO915, gear shift position. I just feel more and more that changing the transmission cable may help...guess can't hurt

The range selector switch was suggested here already but can't find any info on that? Any help is appreciated, thanks

GGG 10-18-2014 06:00 PM

Welcome to the forum notch383,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

This is the Intro thread - an opportunity to tell everyone something about yourself and your vehicle and not the place for detailed technical questions. I see you have already made this identical post twice in the X-Type tech forum and I've deleted one of them:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-light-128727/

I suggest you give members time to respond.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the USA North East Region forum by following this link USA North East - ME NH VT MA RI CT NJ NY PA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

JimC64 10-18-2014 06:41 PM

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Norri 10-18-2014 09:41 PM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums notch383,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

o1xjr 10-19-2014 06:27 AM

Welcome to the forum

sklimii 10-19-2014 07:16 AM

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!!