Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area - Intro a MUST (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/)
-   -   New X350 owner, old xj6l owner (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/new-x350-owner-old-xj6l-owner-97220/)

slmskrs 06-18-2013 12:22 AM

New X350 owner, old xj6l owner

We've had a '97 XJ6L for 16 years and 246k miles. Alas, the lower timing chain tensioner went out and it is just not worth fixing. We found a really nice '05 XJ8L and I'm just starting to go through preventive maintenance. Of course, perfect timing; after having it for two months, a hairline crack appeared on the thermostat housing tower, so I now need to replace it, and of course will replace all hoses, coolant, etc.

I've done a decent amount of work on the '97, but on the other hand, it has been an incredibly reliable car.

It doesn't sound like replacing the tower is all that easy; sounds like not only does the throttle body have to be removed, but the intake manifold as well.

Oh well, better to get it all done now rather than have something blow on me later.

Anyway, looking forward to finding info on various services, as well as hopefully being able to help out as well.

Thanks,

Gordon

Grant Francis 06-18-2013 04:04 AM

Welcome.

A timely replacement for the X300.

Those X300's were really sooooo reliable.

There will be people in the X350 area with tips on that housing R&R.

steveinfrance 06-18-2013 05:46 AM

Welcome to this friendly Forum, Gordon.
I see you've found your car's technical section.

There's a Regional one too
Western US - AK CA NV OR UT HI WA ID - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Enjoy your membership here.

Norri 06-18-2013 05:56 AM

Welcome to the forum Gordon,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

sklimii 06-19-2013 06:51 AM

welcome to the forum

JimC64 06-19-2013 07:44 AM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1355077469

Hey there and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link

Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.

Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site................. :icon_beerchug:

slmskrs 06-19-2013 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis (Post 756097)
Welcome.

A timely replacement for the X300.

Those X300's were really sooooo reliable.

No kidding! If you look at the cost per mile for the 16 years and 246k miles we put on our '97 x300, the cost has been low indeed, AND we got to drive a Jag! :)

slmskrs 06-19-2013 11:58 PM

How do I edit my signature?

Originally Posted by Norri (Post 756131)

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Okay, I'm lame, but I haven't found where to create my signature. Am I missing something, or do I need to be a "regular" member? And is a signature different than the garage?

Sorry for the newbe questions. :)

slmskrs 06-20-2013 01:36 AM

found where to edit my signature

Originally Posted by slmskrs (Post 757114)
Okay, I'm lame, but I haven't found where to create my signature. Am I missing something, or do I need to be a "regular" member? And is a signature different than the garage?

Sorry for the newbe questions. :)

Never mind. I found it!

Now, let's see if it works. Hopefully there is something below this.... :)

GGG 06-20-2013 10:37 AM

Signature details looking OK. Next challenge is a SigPic!

I hope your X350 proves to be as reliable as the X300.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

slmskrs 06-20-2013 04:54 PM

signature pix?

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 757361)

Signature details looking OK. Next challenge is a SigPic!

I hope your X350 proves to be as reliable as the X300.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Okay, let's see if the pix I plugged in works in my signature (temp until I get around to taking some real pix of the car). :)

GGG 06-20-2013 05:15 PM

Success. :icon_beerchug:
Graham