What is the microphone for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 05:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down What is the microphone for?

I have a recent Japanese import 2008 estate.

The car has a microphone in the headlining just right of the roof console, but no voice that I can find. From the VIN, TOPIX says no voice, no voice pre-wire. The voice button works as a radio mute.

I can't detect Bluetooth with my apple4s. TOPIX doesn't mention bluetooth either way, but it's a 2008 and I thought they all had Bluetooth. If I press the car's Phone button the screen says "phone not installed". There is nothing in the arm rest box.

If there is no voice and no Bluetooth then I wonder what on earth the mic is for? Could it be a Bluetooth pre-wire, or something else entirely.

Any Ideas?

Old 06-01-2017, 08:41 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Welcome to the forum ProphetofDoom,

The place to post technical questions is in the appropriate model forum. The Region forums are for location specific posts. Your forum profile shows XJ but one of your posts mentions X-Type ......?

The simple answer to your question is it's the microphone for the Jaguar telephone system. In 2008 this would be Bluetooth. For certain markets, the microphone and part telephone harness is fitted to all vehicles regardless of whether they have the telephone installation or not.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham