Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-zealand-97/)
-   -   NZ navigation DVD? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-zealand-97/nz-navigation-dvd-56896/)

mabmarabnis 06-27-2011 04:59 PM

NZ navigation DVD?

I will be taking my 2003 XKR to New Zealand (from London) in a couple of months and am starting the hunt :icon_hunter:for a NZ navigation DVD. If anyone can help find a copy I would be mighty grateful!

mabmarabnis 07-12-2011 04:36 PM

anyone?

kiwileaper 07-30-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by mabmarabnis (Post 370269)
I will be taking my 2003 XKR to New Zealand (from London) in a couple of months and am starting the hunt :icon_hunter:for a NZ navigation DVD. If anyone can help find a copy I would be mighty grateful!

Hi mate,

I bought a copy of the satnav update dvd from WhereIs (Australian company) - Whereis® | Buy Sat Nav Map Updates | Jaguar - Sensis
It was about NZD$310 delivered. Upgraded using the MENU-PHONE instructions as above, now have latest maps and S/W version 9.03

Hope that helps!
Rich

mabmarabnis 07-31-2011 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by kiwileaper (Post 384562)
Hi mate,

I bought a copy of the satnav update dvd from WhereIs (Australian company) - Whereis® | Buy Sat Nav Map Updates | Jaguar - Sensis
It was about NZD$310 delivered. Upgraded using the MENU-PHONE instructions as above, now have latest maps and S/W version 9.03

Hope that helps!
Rich

Thanks Rich - have emailed them to find out if they have a version that works for a pre-2006 car! :)

mabmarabnis 08-01-2011 02:28 AM

Got a friendly reply today but unfortunately none of their software is suitable for pre-2006 cars... :(

redpoptop 08-01-2011 04:23 AM

The sat nav system was never shipped to Australia & New Zealand, so we have no hope of
Finding new disks for them,
I did contact Alpine in the UK a few year ago be for shipping my car and was told:
They have the mapping software but Jaguar did not place any orders for it,
If they do then it’s no problem to press them.
Redpoptop
XK8 2005 Convertible

mabmarabnis 08-01-2011 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by redpoptop (Post 385234)
The sat nav system was never shipped to Australia & New Zealand, so we have no hope ofFinding new disks for them,

You mean on pre-2006 cars?

Archibald & Shorter sell new navigation disks - for $900!!

Service and Parts specials:JAGUAR NAVIGATION DVD

redpoptop 08-01-2011 06:52 PM

The Alpine system was not shipped, only the Denso Sytems which yes disks can be purchased for most parts of the world.

Redpoptop

mabmarabnis 08-02-2011 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by redpoptop (Post 385560)
The Alpine system was not shipped, only the Denso Sytems which yes disks can be purchased for most parts of the world.

Apols for my ignorance: the Alpine system is the one used on pre-2006 cards and the Denso one on later models?

mabmarabnis 08-07-2011 06:06 AM

Anyone?

u102768 08-11-2011 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by mabmarabnis (Post 388026)
Anyone?

Alpine appear to be a member of the Kiwi-W consortium so the map data may be similar to the one for the X350's. I would be interested to see a directory listing of the root directory of your UK disc if you get a moment to see if I can sort something out for you.

akka 08-23-2014 03:45 PM

I looked at a 2002 xkr at Archibald's in Christchurch a couple of weeks ago with Sat Nava. It was on Trade Me with a picture of NZ maps. But when I went back it was sold. I was hoping to grab a copy of the disk to see if it would work in my car. I did chat, strangely enough to the lady who bought it and she had a quick look at my car which was busy failing a warrant of fitness... not sure what navy system it had but if you see a big black cat around CHCH.

cat_as_trophy 08-23-2014 08:52 PM

Hey guys, please excuse me butting in from across the pond ...

... especially after our thrashing in last night's Bledisloe Cup! ...:icon_flamethrow: Thank heavens the Rugby was followed by the PanPac Swimming ... :icon_hyper::icon_hyper:

For most Jaguars pre 2005/2006/whatever ... there are countless Jaguar XJ, S-Type, and X-Type that have SatNav ... and many were imported into Aus/NZ.

My info is that ours are all Denso platform units that will only accept the Denso format software and disks as per post #3 from [kiwileaper]. Given that the maps update disk is now standing at Australia Ver20 + New Zealand Ver9, and based on roughly annual updates, you can see they have been around for yonks.

I'm reliably told the next version will include our new Tranz Tasman Freeway which provides an express link direct from Aukland to Sydney ... a real boon for tourists ... :icon_banhim:

Perhaps [redpoptop] can explain the reference to Alpine? Is it that early XK8/XKRs used a ring-in SatNav to all other Jaguars? If so, my enthusiasm for my next Jag purchase just took a hit ... but not terminal because I reckon there is a better solution than shelling out $300 each year just for a new maps disk!

A quick check back to WhereIs tells us that ...
  • for the S-Type, X-Type, and XJ ... single disk covers both Aus Ver20 and NZ Ver9 ... all models up to current (great ... I can buy a brand new S-Type after all ... LOL
  • for the XK ... as hinted, they only list from 2006 onwards, so maybe earlier cars did have a "foreign" platform; and maybe that foreigner didn't know places like Aus or NZ existed back in the dark ages prior to 2006;
  • for models after 2010 ... the update disks become plural ... ie no longer OZ, but separate and specific to either country.
Given that I have NZ map data, but live on the east coast of Australia, I wonder what happens if I punch a destination of "Eden Park"?

Depending on your longer term intentions [mabmarabnis] ... i mean, are you visiting for a year, or have you been expelled (LOL) ... I would be seriously considering a stand-alone temporary dash+portable at approx one third the cost of the WhereIs update disk. The fact that they come with a lifetime subscription to update maps, AND the maps are updated a guaranteed 4 times per year, is a real slap in the face for these proprietary platforms.

Last piece of advice ... be very, very careful of the well known scammers who are doing a thriving business it seems on the internet, by advertising Denso platform (ie Jag) "knockoff maps disks" for a fraction of that $300 pricetag. Some have actually received disks ... but most just got a heap of aggro ... or nothing at all. Not a sermon; just a heads up warning.

Hope all this helps. Best wishes to all, :icon_toast:
Ken

Cambo 08-23-2014 09:07 PM

The vehicle in the opening post was a 2003 XKR, these used that orphaned Alpine navigation system, for which there are no updates or support available...not the same as the Denso nav in the other models.

As far as I know the Australian delivered X100/103 XK's did not have the navigation fitted, presumably because there were no maps available, same would apply for NZ I guess...

akka 08-24-2014 04:25 AM

Data from other threads has indicated that the X100 Sat Nav (I have a jap import) with the leaper on it can be updated by using a newer disk which transforms it to using the clock.

Despite the fact that any maps disks might not be up to date the impact of getting a disk that will change my Sat Nav to the Clock away from the Leaper and enable English rather than Japanese would be a massive win.

In saying all this and not doubting what I have read above, there is at least one Big Black Cat driving around Christchurch with an NZ operating Sat Nav. From memory this was a 2002.

If anyone has a disk that might enable the above I would be thrilled to get a copy so I can at least try it out.

redpoptop 08-24-2014 08:19 AM

My understanding after contacting Alpine (UK) regarding theNavigation unit used in the XK8 (X100/104) & XJ8 (X308) they can supply the mapping for both Australia & New Zealand DVDs
They were pressed by Deluxe in West Sussex UK, but Jaguar Cars have not placed any orders for them as to date. And the Alpine system was never supplied into the Australian /New Zealand market.

akka 11-29-2014 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by redpoptop (Post 1042721)
My understanding after contacting Alpine (UK) regarding theNavigation unit used in the XK8 (X100/104) & XJ8 (X308) they can supply the mapping for both Australia & New Zealand DVDs
They were pressed by Deluxe in West Sussex UK, but Jaguar Cars have not placed any orders for them as to date. And the Alpine system was never supplied into the Australian /New Zealand market.

Can you provide the details you used to contact Alpine UK please?

Datsports 02-27-2015 06:16 PM

The previous owner of my s type had all his service and repair
Work done buy archabalds Auckland ! And gave me a copy
Of all paper work , including a written quote for a Nz sat nav
Disk ! $250 it never got purchest ! Oh well my I phone has a good nav !
I will look it up and double check !

akka 02-28-2015 01:03 PM

I wonder is the S-Types use the same players as the XKR/8? Might be worth a look and see.

noroad 04-08-2015 05:19 PM

Hi all, So, to use a Japanese import 2005 X-Type Sat-Nav in New Zealand where would I buy a disk and is it the Denso one ? I see here https://www.jaguar.whereis.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=28 they say that NZ10 is coming, but There seems to be no way to contact these people to confirm, the email does not work and no one ever answers their phone. Thanks all