Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

Finally getting my CAT back

Old 03-24-2018, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Default Finally getting my CAT back

After 3+ years that started off as just replacing the carburator with fuel injection but that turned into a new engine, a complete leather interior, a respray, new glass, etc., I am finally within 2 weeks of getting my 1972 De Tomaso Pantera back. I saw it this morning where the leather diamond stitched firewall (behind the seats because it's mid-engined) was installed which will be followed by the seatbelt harness bar along with the harness belts, the newly re-upholstered C4 Corvette seats, the newly redone leather dash, and console. It's supposed to be ready a week from tomorrow so that we can take it to Supercar Sunday. I don't know if it will be done by then but should be done by the week afterwards. I can't wait to give it a ride, now with over 500hp and 550ft.lbs., about double of its original numbers on a 3000lb car. It should be a barn burner. Can't wait!!

Attached Thumbnails Finally getting my CAT back-vp__3982-1280x853-.jpg   Finally getting my CAT back-pantera-seats.jpeg   Finally getting my CAT back-panteradash-2-.jpg   Finally getting my CAT back-pantera1.jpg   Finally getting my CAT back-panteradash-3-.jpg  

Finally getting my CAT back-pantera-firewall.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
GGG (04-06-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Received 4,175 Likes on 3,638 Posts

Nice!!!!

tberg (03-24-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 11:26 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Beautiful! I had a poster of a Pantera on my wall in high school and have always wanted one.

tberg (04-01-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

If you ever find yourself in Southern California, give me a holler and you can take it out for a day. The idea of having F-type R or S horsepower in a sub 3000lb, mid-engined missile is giving me goosebumps. Sometime this or next week, I'll be driving her for the first time in 3 1/2 years. The new engine, combined with new exhaust and headers, should take what was already a very loud V8 and make it possitively F-type sounding. I can hardly wait. Its shape has aged so beautifully I prefer it to most if not all of the modern supercars. I especially like the early narrow bodied cars rather than the wide body GT5 and GT5S Panteras which were (are) more aggressive looking but not as svelte or sensual as the original Tjaarda design. Stay tuned!

Old 03-27-2018, 11:55 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

I thought those seats looked familiar, I've got an '86 Corvette. Guess yours is a little faster though. Good news.

tberg (04-01-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 10:10 AM

I will definitely stay tuned! I look forward to seeing lots more pictures and I'd love video as well! I don't know when I'll make it out that way (my husband is afraid to take me to California because he's afraid I won't come home - I already don't want to come home from Las Vegas every April when we visit. He's currently in California somewhere visiting the motorcycle we are having restored and notice that I'm home in Atlanta.

tberg (03-29-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 08:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
After 3+ years that started off as just replacing the carburator with fuel injection but that turned into .....
Looking good.

I can appreciate the situation. I had an Aston Martin DB5 like that. Started with a noisy main bearing and ended up ten years later emerging from a total retoration!

Finally getting my CAT back-25-ggg_1.jpg
If it's red, it's new metal

Finally getting my CAT back-25-ggg_2.jpg
You don't buy these panels at the parts store

Finally getting my CAT back-25-ggg_3.jpg
A paint job costs more than a Jaguar

Finally getting my CAT back-25-ggg_4.jpg
Run in on a water brake dyno. Even the fuel bill was frightening

Finally getting my CAT back-25-ggg_5.jpg
Finished at last

Graham

tberg (06-04-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

UPDATE!
I stopped by and saw the car again, yesterday. And the leather dash was fully installed and looked incredible. The leather wrapped console was delivered and supposedly being put in yesterday afternoon. New seat rail ordered and supposed to be delivered on Monday so that seats can get installed. Harness bar and seat belt harnesses installed. Rear liftgate/hatch being refitted on Monday or Tuesday. New paint to be buffed out and cleaned up Wed.-Fri. and supposedly I'll be able to drive the wildcat home next Friday afternoon. I don't know how to be patient enough to wait the seven days. Pictures and sound next weekend, I hope!

Attached Thumbnails Finally getting my CAT back-vp__4994.jpg  
Old 04-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

All right. Can't wait to see it.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

You and me both!

Old 04-14-2018, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Postponed one more week as some interior bits needed tweaking before final installation. Maybe I'll have it for next Sunday's Queen's English Car Show, I'll bring it with my XKRs.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:49 AM

How are you being so patient?! Heck, I can't wait and it's not my car!

tberg (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

It's been so long that I've forgotten how fun a car it is to take out on the street. Armrests on the door had to be altered as the upholsterer covered the screw holes that attach them to the door panels and doors. And the seat rails had to be tinkered with to accommodate the Corvette seats, and a few other small details. This weekend is the Queen's English Car Show, a very large British Car Show to which I'll be taking my XKR and meeting a number of forum members. Hopefully, I'll have the Pantera back sometime during the weekend. I don't even care at this point if I drive it this weekend, I just want to be able to see if I fit in the seats when they're installed in the car, and I just want to hear the roar of the engine and exhaust, it's as intoxicating as the F-type's sound. We'll see, thanks for your interest, and the offer still stands: Come out to Southern Cal, and she's yours for a day.

Attached Thumbnails Finally getting my CAT back-dscf0707.jpg   Finally getting my CAT back-dscf0720.jpg  
PBBarb (04-18-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 AM

Any updates?! Come on! Don't leave me hanging! I want updates on the goat too once that gets underway!

Old 05-14-2018, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

Seat bases were cut so that they could be installed on existing seat rails. Hopefully, they have been or are being installed this week. I am trying to stay away so that I don't lose my temper with the shop that has the car and delay getting her back even more. I will stop there this Friday and get updates.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

I gave the ultimatum, yesterday, that I am taking the car home before Fathers' Day, so that I can attend Supercar Sunday that morning and then take a canyon run with some friends. I was told that it will be ready before then and maybe even by the first Sunday in June. I'll believe it when I have my foot planted on the fun pedal. Pictures coming soon!

Last edited by tberg; 05-24-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:58 PM

I was just thinking about you yesterday and started to ask, but didn't want to poke the bear. I'm annoyed on your behalf!!! I can't say much since there is a guy in California restoring my father-in-law's '56 Zundapp motorcycle and it seems like it has been with him for almost a year now. I think now the holdup is the speedometer because the only 2 people who know how to work on it are in Germany so it had to be shipped to them. The difference here is that I think it will be more of a show bike (I know I'll never ride it and don't think my husband really plans to much either) and your car is to be driven. I'm anxious both for pictures and to hear how much you love driving it!

tberg (05-24-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

The Cat is coming home a week from Friday, going to Supercar Sunday on Fathers' Day morning, followed by a Santa Monica mountains run right afterwards.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:36 AM

Are you watching me from afar? I swear, every time I almost ask you for an update (and decide not to), you post within 24 hours!

I can't WAIT to see pictures. I might have to plan a trip to California next year JUST to meet you and see the beauties you have.

Also, I should show this thread to my husband so he feels better about how long it's taking for the restoration of his dad's Zundapp motorcycle (the only one known to still exist of the 84 built that year I believe) - right now the speedo is in Germany being worked on by a little old man who is one of only 3 people who knows how to restore this particular one. I think it's been in California for about 6 months now being worked on.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

I've had an FBI informant spying on you. When I saw the car last week, there was still quite a bit left to do, I'm still doubtful they can finish everything, but emphatically I told the owner of the shop that a week from this Sunday, I am taking the car to our local Supercar Sunday event, afterwhich I will head up Topanga Canyon and take a drive though the scenic Santa Monica Mountains out to the beach. And that afternoon, as every year on Fathers' Day, I will go to my best friend's (of nearly 60 years) house to celebrate the day with his and my families. There will be pictures next Sunday evening as well as a review of the first drive with all the newfound power. And just tell your husband that if he wants to come out and check on his motorcycle, you can promise him a day in a very special car with you driving!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally getting my CAT back