1019 Rolex 24 (Daytona) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1019 Rolex 24 (Daytona)

Old 01-26-2019, 10:00 AM
Default 2019 Rolex 24 (Daytona)

Corrected Typo: 2019 Rolex 24
NBCSN: 2:00 EST Sat: NBCSN:11:00 EST Sun: On Spectrum: #55
No Jaguars entered
Classes: Drivers must be FIA Ranked Gold..Silver...or Bronze to participate in Qualifying
LMP2: LeMans Prototype 2
DPI: Daytona Prototype International
GTLM: GT LeMans
Prototype downdraft cars are fastest
GTLM : Factory/Production based cars

The greats:
Mile Miglia
Le Mans
12 Hour Sebring
Rolex 24
Monte Carlo Grand Prix
Usually 4 man driver teams doing 2 hour stints with at least one FIA Gold driver in the 'Sponsored' teams

Saturday morning: Fast Times: GTLM Qual's: Porsche, Ford, Corvette, Ford, BMW, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Corvette
Notable Teams: Chip Gnassi : Rahal-Letterman : Penske
Track: 3&1/2 Mile 17 turns (I call it 10 'real' turns)
Straights
Switchbacks (Horseshoes)
Sweepers
S turn
Prototypes in the 1:30's
GTLM's in the 1:40's
Very hard to put an independent team together: Trans_Am Corvette guy, two Mustang guys and I (Jaguar) had a GT-3 Mazda ready to go and sponsor fell apart. Stuff happens.
Pouring rain to the point they had to red-flag at 6 AM.Still pouring at 9, but back to green. About 40% of our races were in rain. Never had one stopped. At 700+ HP and no Traction Control, touch the throttle and spin. Try to relax. Find a line. Modulate the throttle. Reverse-lock the wheel a lot lol.

Last edited by Jon Frey; 01-27-2019 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Typo: Addition : Correction: Add-ons
Old 01-27-2019, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

First, the great story for this race is the return of Alex Zanardi, whom lost his legs in a horrible race crash 17yrs ago. If anyone needs an inspiring story of never giving up, this is it. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...an/2532420002/

I love going to this race, being able to get up so close to the event itself, much less the drivers, supports teams and cars. Plus having all the different classes racing together, its pretty awesome. For us Americans, we get a chance to taste some Euro food and this race was no different. There was a German vendor with street food...leberkase, bratwurst, laugenbrezel, schnitzel sandwich, German potato salad, a couple others and my favorite currywurst...I had 2 of these, not at one time...dang it was good.
It looked just like this...

The only team that doesn't have any mercy on its drivers is the Corvette teams. Driving with that loud exhaust for hours on end has to wear on you. I know mine does and even though I am running straight pipes. They are clearly the noisiest cars out there. The 2 Lexus's have an odd sound, almost like a loud hive of bees in a box. The Lambo's and Ferrari's sound like tactical machines, ..as if you can hear every part working in harmony to make that machine go...almost like a musical instrument. The Porsche's grunt out a report as they accelerate out of a corner, but glide in like that of a swift bird...almost poetic. The Ford GT's are kind of tough to define, ...almost like its a struggle for the engine to make power, but the results show otherwise as I watched it overtake a Porsche. The deception of the V6.

The race is coming to a close, just a few hours left, and I cannot understand the race officials with all this rain. You may as well have these guys driving on ice, so many expensive race cars being torn up by ignorance (maybe arrogance?). All I know is there doesn't seem to be a reason for racing in these conditions. When they showed the windshield of AJ Ahlmendinger, that was blind suicide driving into those turns with the rooster tail mist coming off the car in front. Those rain tires are made for medium rain conditions at worse, not down pours and there's lots of puddling on that track. You can say "...suck it up, ..buttercup..", but that isn't racing in my eyes, its surviving. There... a perfect example, the Weathertech car blindly nailing the Porsche...ridiculous.
OMG!...someone realized the track conditions may be dangerous...red flag.

Last edited by Highhorse; 01-27-2019 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Files too large for attachements
Old 01-27-2019, 01:47 PM

Thanks Highhorse:
When you can't see 2 feet in front of you and are basically out of control, it really isn't much fun. I got caught a few times with no rain tires and trying to get around a wet track on slicks. A Volkswagen could have passed me lol.
They finally ended it at 2:30 and Fernando Alonso with the Wayne Taylor team won. Wayne drove IMSA on the Jaguar Prototype team with Juan Manuel Fangio IV back in the late eighties. I loved it when 30 guys with clipboards dressed in Jaguar colors marched down to the starting grid behind the XJR's.
Don't think anyone got hurt miraculously.
Unfortunately Zanardi's car didn't finish. With the paddle shifts and brake on the wheel, he could still drive.The problem would have been getting him out in a fire event, but it came out fine.
Next up...12 hour Sebring,,,February

The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Frey For This Useful Post:
Highhorse (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

This has been a frustrating attempt to post these pics. I make sure there is less than 60 pics, it says I'm posting 104...and on and on. I had all these subtitled with descriptions and every time I had to reload them, the titling disappeared, so I gave up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Highhorse For This Useful Post:
Mbourne (01-29-2019), x-biker (01-28-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Last edited by Highhorse; 01-27-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

This is one heck of a air box funnel.

I don't care what you say, this car is sex on wheels. I mean this is a pair of long legs with stilleto's.

What a cool car to find next to the Porsche corral and in the camp grounds.

This was right next to the campy Porsche

Old 01-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

Coming into turn 1 from the infield course, it was a blind shot catching the cars as they came toward turn 2 and with the phones digital delay, it was a crap shoot on shots at that speed.

Last edited by Highhorse; 01-27-2019 at 02:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Highhorse For This Useful Post:
x-biker (01-28-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 02:31 PM

Great Pics Highhorse!
You spent a lot of time getting those posted. Super representation.
Race Stewards/Officials can be like NFL Ref's sometimes. Biased and arbitrary decisions based on personal venues. NASCAR driver meetings were lectures on what not to say if interviewed as an example. Trans-Am steward came over as soon as you unloaded ...with sponsor labels and a diagram of 'exactly' where they were to be placed. Driver meetings were "Keep it close, or we'll throw a yellow."
Jon

Last edited by Jon Frey; 01-27-2019 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Adds
Old 01-27-2019, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Damn impressive sig Jon... I love Japan, so wanting to go back...haven't been since 2003...love the culture and the people. So I guess that Jack Roush Mustang was memorable? I should of taken more pics of the lot of old racers they had. Here's last years.. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...x-24-a-195915/ ..about half way through, only maybe 3 from the viewable pic were there this year, though about the same amount, so some new memories were there.

That's the problem when sponsorships were being trolled for in the mid 70's as NASCAR got more expensive. The ugly world of control sponsored politics is always hiding until the deal with the devil is made.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:12 AM

Sponsorship was so tough that even when you had one, you were never sure the check would be in the mail. Roush Racing was huge. Jack was in the Gnassi Pit box during this one. His son now runs the operation. At the end of 1997 his eleven win driver was on the phone with Jack's EVP with his new contract on his desk. The guy told the EVP it was fine but he also wanted the car from 97. The EVP went into Jack's office to ask, and Jack tore up the contract and told him the guy was fired...lol. If you couldn't win in a Roush car, you shouldn't be on the track.
Southern Honshu of Japan (Hiroshima) was a trip. Loved the little villages and the people back then.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:50 PM

Zanardi chose not to wear prosthetics and as a result everything had to be hand operated. Amazing! I raced in SCCA with a guy who used them, but all he could do was whack the throttle or clutch without feeling. He still did a darned good job though. Gotta love guys who persevere through adversity.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:16 AM

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures! That race is definitely one of the things on my TO DO LIST