American politics - Page 60 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American politics

 
  #1181  
Old 01-08-2019, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 3,479
Thanked 821 Times in 633 Posts
Default

Looks like the Orange Buffoon is going to call a national emergency this evening on TV. At the minimum we know he will add to the thousands of lies he has already made.

Even Fox Entertainment's Chris Wallace pulled up Sarah Sanders when she lied about 4,000 terrororists crossing the southern border last year.Pence has claimed the same lie.

The WH's own figures show that SIX terrorists were identified attempting to cross the southern border in the first half of 2018 and 4,000 through AIRPORTS mostly.

Also 41 terrorists/people of interest were apprehended crossing the NORTHERN border!

And the government is still partially shutdown because of the narciscist in the WH who continues to be Putin's puppet.
 
  #1182  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:10 AM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 45
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I'd say that's a good definition.

Reflexive remarks and reactions are a clue.

I know a person who, if displeased by another person for any reason, will virtually without fail say "He must be a liberal". That's mindless. Similar remarks and mentality are not unusual from either side

Cheers
DD
Agreed. The useless back and forth name calling on both sides I think is something that is rather disappointing and trivial.


Originally Posted by Queen and Country View Post
Ah ha! you dont not realize the fundamental quandary and why indentured servitude was necessary.
The room, board and the transportation here, (lets just use the Irish as an example so as to not get lost in the weeds) was greater than what could be paid back with wages in short order.
Latinos working the fields or at a meat processing plant, pay all those expenses themselves and can be discharged the next day with no loss of investment.
Lets not forget slaves had to be purchased.
We weren't talking about indentured servitude though. We were talking about immigration into the United States. I mean, I see where you are going with this, but you are forgetting the whole reason for indentured servitude which was to pay for your transportation to the New World because you couldn't afford to do it yourself so you had someone pay for your trip to the United States in exchange for your labor until the debt was paid. That's not to even mention the large numbers of the Irish and the Scots who were never actually freed after they paid their debts back and who were sold into slavery.

Illegal Immigration into The United States is nothing similar to indentured servitude though so I'm a bit confused by your parallel as I see where you are trying to make the connection, but IMHO failing to fully connect the two ideas. The costs of the illegal immigrant to get to the United States aren't paid for by the employer, in fact, that individual has already paid those costs through money that was saved up prior to coming to The United States and that doesn't take into account that the individual may be here for over 10 years and paid those costs long ago. I have worked with illegal immigrants in some of my past jobs and many of them overstayed their visas, whether that is a work visa, education visa or tourist visa, one guy walked up from South America relying on people to give him rides and the charity of the churches along the way as well as the migrant centers in Central America.
 
  #1183  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:12 AM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 45
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news...ing-trump-sup/

Very nicely said by Rep. Crenshaw, but I would have added that Rep. Johnson should go back to where he is most useful, the study of cartography and the geologic makeup of the Pacific Islands and the effects of human population on those islands. :P
 
  #1184  
Old 01-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Queen and Country's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings
Posts: 4,830
Thanked 1,105 Times in 821 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2014XFR-S View Post
.
Our long history of slavery, indenture shows us what a bargain South American immigrants are.
And why we aint going to give them up any time soon.

Slaves= massive initial investment required by employer
Indentured Servants= massive initial investment by employer
South Americans= massive initial investment made by immigrant.

 
  #1185  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:25 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 45
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Queen and Country View Post
Our long history of slavery, indenture shows us what a bargain South American immigrants are.
And why we aint going to give them up any time soon.

Slaves= massive initial investment required by employer
Indentured Servants= massive initial investment by employer
South Americans= massive initial investment made by immigrant.
So now you're changing your argument? Also, slavery still requires the investment of room & board, food, clothing, and health care. Even for many plantation owners in the Antebellum South, owning slaves was a very expensive thing to do as many slaves were still considered assets to be more like livestock such as horses or such.


That being said, could President Trump look anymore orange than he did?

Also, I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!



 
  #1186  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:48 AM
Queen and Country's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings
Posts: 4,830
Thanked 1,105 Times in 821 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2014XFR-S View Post
So now you're changing your argument? Also, slavery still requires the investment of room & board, food, clothing, and health care. Even for many plantation owners in the Antebellum South, owning slaves was a very expensive thing to do as many slaves were still considered assets to be more like livestock such as horses or such.
We are on the same page, I have no clue how that happened.
Yes that is why a Mexican farm hand is cheaper than a slave...Carry that forward, someone cheaper than a slave; can we be sure people are trying to import them.

I think there are 2 languages being spoken by the politicians. 1 to soothe the disgruntled public looking to blame some poor immigrant sod, breaking his back for $5bucks an hour, for all their misgivings. Another to the industry leaders, not to worry the supply of labor will always be there.
 
  #1187  
Old 01-09-2019, 01:17 AM
Queen and Country's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings
Posts: 4,830
Thanked 1,105 Times in 821 Posts
Default

I have a message from this guy,who is not allowed here.



"Hey man, when are you gringos going to stop allowing yourselves to be bullshited to.
They tell you 'let's bring in some of the best and brightest into the country so they can come to be the heads of major corporations'.
Do you really believe that Mexico's best and brightest are going to come here to pick cabbage.
And if you believe they are going to come here to get executive jobs, guess who is going to be picking the cabbage amigo?"

He has a point for every corporate leader we dream of importing, requires at least 15 immigrants just to do his work, landscaping, maintenance, waiter so on.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to Queen and Country For This Useful Post:
Nahla Artemis-Delphis (02-19-2019)
  #1189  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:40 PM
Queen and Country's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings
Posts: 4,830
Thanked 1,105 Times in 821 Posts
Default

Some illuminating facts that can shatter many delusions. (about need for cheap immigrants).
Ignore the slavery aspect, just look at it from a need aspect.
  • More slaves than colonists were imported into America
  • 42% of NYC households had a slave
  • The bombshell; 50% to 75% of European migrants came under indenture.
Lets think about that for a second.
  1. How is all that demand being filled now?
  2. Is our youth are now willing to do all that donkey work.
There is another glaring fact: If 50% to 75% of European migrants were indentured- we were not importing the best and brightest- and we turned out just fine.
reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indent...n_the_Americas
 
  #1190  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 3,479
Thanked 821 Times in 633 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Queen and Country View Post
There is another glaring fact: If 50% to 75% of European migrants were indentured- we were not importing the best and brightest- and we turned out just fine.
Who is "we" in the above statement?
 
  #1191  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:56 PM
Queen and Country's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings
Posts: 4,830
Thanked 1,105 Times in 821 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jackra_1 View Post
Who is "we" in the above statement?
We the new colony in America.
 
  #1192  
Old 01-09-2019, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 3,479
Thanked 821 Times in 633 Posts
Default

Then I really do not think "we" turned out "just fine" by a long shot especially compaerd to other developed countries. Just my opinion.

My opinion is based on the incarceration rate as a % of population, along with health care and of course gun violence to name just a few areas of concern.
 
  #1193  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:06 PM
Queen and Country's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings
Posts: 4,830
Thanked 1,105 Times in 821 Posts
Default

I completely agree, especially compared to civilizations like Japan.

It was just a reminder to those who believe America had a better past- in that perceived ideal, it had more immigration on both ends of the spectrum.
 
  #1194  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 3,479
Thanked 821 Times in 633 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Queen and Country View Post
I completely agree, especially compared to civilizations like Japan.

It was just a reminder to those who believe America had a better past- in that perceived ideal, it had more immigration on both ends of the spectrum.
Ok understand.

Btw Hastings is one of my favourite towns I used to belong to the fishing club there.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to jackra_1 For This Useful Post:
Queen and Country (01-09-2019)
  #1195  
Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Queen and Country's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings
Posts: 4,830
Thanked 1,105 Times in 821 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jackra_1 View Post
Hastings is one of my favourite towns
We should share its knowledge with our disgruntled American brethren, how this enchanted place has had virtually no immigration since 1066. lol
 
  #1196  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PHX some of the time
Posts: 99,526
Thanked 4,656 Times in 4,182 Posts
Default

Speaking of sharing, couldn't resist this..........

 
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Norri For This Useful Post:
Queen and Country (01-10-2019), swayne (01-10-2019)
  #1197  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:03 PM
Queen and Country's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings
Posts: 4,830
Thanked 1,105 Times in 821 Posts
Default

^ Incredible really!!
He knows that even mice cant be stopped. Mammals will find a way.

So he knew this too...

 
  #1198  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:47 AM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PHX some of the time
Posts: 99,526
Thanked 4,656 Times in 4,182 Posts
Default

They actually did a test? Was there any doubt it could be cut?
 
  #1199  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: mocksville nc
Posts: 168
Thanked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Default

I'm no fan of Tucker Carlson but the following was interesting and plays to this thread

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/10/181719...tism-trump-gop
 
The Following User Says Thank You to swayne For This Useful Post:
Queen and Country (01-11-2019)
  #1200  
Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 AM
Queen and Country's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings
Posts: 4,830
Thanked 1,105 Times in 821 Posts
Default

What is glaringly clear is that there is no good system.
And the only problem is with people who whine that its broken.

In that regard China and Japan, two completely different systems are doing better than us because billions of man-hours are not spent crying about a broken system- instead they put that effort into getting ahead.

In fact, the time that these two systems did terribly was when they tried to go against nature and stifle external competition.
Think about how incestuous our gene pool would become if we limited external competition.

Here is a bombshell- those Mexicans crossing the dessert to improve their lives against all handed odds- is the very definition of best & brightest, if we strip the various unnatural, hostile, impudent man-made conventions.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: American politics


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: