Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American politics

Old 05-14-2019, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,600 Posts

I left the corporate world in late 2002 and have been playing the markets to earn my living since then. We are currently in a nearly ten-year-old bull run, significantly longer than has typically been the case during the past 80 years or so. As to be expected, Trump attempts to take full credit but most of the current run occurred on Obama's watch. A major (and very painful for most investors) correction is coming with many seasoned economists believing early-to-mid 2020 to be the most likely scenario. Folks who clearly understand the criticality of puts vs. calls should come out ahead as long as they are able to time the transition correctly. So watch the trends carefully during the second half of 2019 and be careful with any long-range financial decisions. The markets may indeed wind up crucifying Trump with a vengeance before the election next year....

Old 05-14-2019, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,316 Likes on 971 Posts

Trump knows the ultimate secret.
50% of people will believe whatever you tell them the economy is.
Why; because they are absolutely unaffected by it and would not know the difference between good or weak economy.

Most folks have no way of measuring the economy.
Public sector workers, educators, pastors, retirees, corporate workers in a secure long term job (heck that's over 50% right there) can only measure the economy by the price of gasoline.
Because absolutely nothing else changes in their lives if the economy goes up or down. 401k you ask. No thats purely in the head. Its damn near a con job. They can do badly even in a good economy.

Here is a great graph that shows how the market did under various presidents. (just click the name of the president and the graph changes)
https://www.macrotrends.net/2481/sto...e-by-president

Old 05-14-2019, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 908 Likes on 702 Posts

As we move closer to a war footing with Iran and its proxies do not forget the following where the US was using 2007 technology:

"In 2002, the U.S. military tapped Lt. Gen. Paul Van Riper to lead the red opposing forces of the most expensive, expansive military exercise in history. He was put in command of an inferior Middle Eastern-inspired military force. His mission was to go against the full might of the American armed forces. In the first two days, he sank an entire carrier battle group.

The exercise was called Millennium Challenge 2002. It was designed by the Joint Forces Command over the course of two years. It had 13,500 participants, numerous live and simulated training sites, and was supposed to pit an Iran-like Middle Eastern country against the U.S. military, which would be fielding advanced technology it didn't plan to implement until five years later".

There have been technology advances on all sides since then and IF there was all out war with Iran it would be a VERY expensive proposition and not just in lost lives.

With a carrier group facing an unprecedented onslaught of incoming missiles it will be very vulnerable to underwater attack. Thats just my opinion based upon the need for, mostly, aircraft to hunt down subs.

I also believe that the attacks on ships off the east coast of the UAE were very unlikely to have been Iranian launched since the whole world is watching. Kind of "convenient" that the attacks occurred just now.

I note that Pompeo failed miserably in getting the Europeans behind him at the recent meeting in Brussels of European leaders.

Why on earth would they given the attack on NATO by trump and the sanctions imposed on Europe as well.

Trump wants nationalism/isolationism he is getting there.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (05-15-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,229 Likes on 827 Posts
Old 05-15-2019, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

I am looking forward to the vindication of the start up process for the Mueller report....again.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 729 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1 View Post
There have been technology advances on all sides since then and IF there was all out war with Iran it would be a VERY expensive proposition and not just in lost lives.
If US goes to war with Iran there is non-zero probability it will lead to AI/drone advances.

It should be fairly simple to show that 100,000 fire and forget $100 drones with some drone-to-drone communications that hard to jam can overwhelm and sink $10B aircraft carrier. At such money differential US military isn't scary and more nations would expect to be able to inflict casualties to make US military action unlikely. This means that China, Russia and so on can disregard US intervention as a counterpoint in geopolitical calculations as long as they don't do anything nuke-worthy.

We all benefit from myth that US can successfully win any and all military conflict. It makes the rest of the world behave. Lets not shatter than myth.

Last edited by SinF; 05-15-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Well from previous news reporting, we know the infamous dossier was originally ordered by the the Republican anti Trumpers and later funded by DNC, at least if I recall correctly. So let's first and foremost, not include it in the the discussion as it was never the trigger for the investigations, per the FBI.

That said, and regardless of party affiliation, I have no issue with the DOJ confirming that the investigation into any campaign was legal. An illegal investigation to dig up dirt on a campaign is only one notch above the Russian government meddling in our elections.

If they determine the investigation was a legal one however, it shouldn't be "spun" by DOJ. Investigate, declare it legal or not. No more of this gray area bullshit or soft-soaping.

Last edited by Sean W; 05-15-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Old 05-16-2019, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Yes..yes..yes...I know..I know..I know Political Insider has a "right-leaning" slant...sooo what !!!
That should not detract on the content of the link.......(but I know it will)

What I'm looking for is a Constitutional expert who is very knowledge in the US Constitution to give a ..yay or nay.. on the content.

http://thepoliticalinsider.com/mark-...onstitutional/

Old 05-16-2019, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 729 Likes on 554 Posts

Levin explained that such designation makes Mueller, as their supervisor, a “roving” U.S. Attorney, and by law, the President should have been the one to nominate all “principal officers” – including U.S. attorneys.

Instead, Mueller was appointed by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, was not confirmed by the Senate, and thus “violates the Constitution (via) the Appointments Clause” in Article II.
To me this is bridge too far for the following two reasons: a) a “roving” U.S. Attorney is a dubious argument, as what idiot would nominate someone capable to investigate their own conduct? If this was true, no president would ever could be investigated by someone not appointed by the president. b) 'was not confirmed by the Senate' argument also doesn't fly, Muller probe was instigated by GOP-controlled intelligence committee. "appointed by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein" is a mechanism, not initiation. Rod Rosenstein simply carried out orders to get the job done.

Last edited by SinF; 05-16-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF View Post
To me this is bridge too far for the following two reasons: a) a “roving” U.S. Attorney is a dubious argument, as what idiot would nominate someone capable to investigate their own conduct? If this was true, no president would ever could be investigated by someone not appointed by the president. b) 'was not confirmed by the Senate' argument also doesn't fly, Muller probe was instigated by GOP-controlled intelligence committee. "appointed by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein" is a mechanism, not initiation. Rod Rosenstein simply carried out orders to get the job done.

Your "bridge" is going to collapse soon...stay tuned...

Old 05-17-2019, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Trump has warned of lengthy prison terms......

Meanwhile, no-one but top players from Trump world are in prison.

Reminds me of Comical Ali, remember him, he was the guy that would come on TV and promise the Saddam Regime would launch the 'mother of all retaliations'

Old 05-17-2019, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country View Post
Trump has warned of lengthy prison terms......

Meanwhile, no-one but top players from Trump world are in prison.

Reminds me of Comical Ali, remember him, he was the guy that would come on TV and promise the Saddam Regime would launch the 'mother of all retaliations'
Added to that the Mueller Report just keeps on giving as more and more details are being unraveled by judges. Some republican senators I think are particularly worried as they may be linked to obstruction pretty soon or at the very least highly unethical conduct.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

This guy should be in prison..wait for it..I know..Breitbart is a "right-leaning" outfit, but the message is valid.

http://www.breitbart.com/radio/2019/05/15/joe-digenova-john-brennan-is-the-mastermind-of-conspiracy-to-frame-donald-trump/

Old 05-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Old 05-17-2019, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1 View Post
Added to that the Mueller Report just keeps on giving as more and more details are being unraveled by judges. Some republican senators I think are particularly worried as they may be linked to obstruction pretty soon or at the very least highly unethical conduct.
Yep, discovery is a bitch, especially without a gag order.

Its what protects Trump International, there has been no due diligence into the taxes and IRS has gag order.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,547 Likes on 4,859 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2 View Post
This guy should be in prison
Brennan? Or DiGenova?

..wait for it..I know..Breitbart is a "right-leaning" outfit, but the message is valid.

http://www.breitbart.com/radio/2019/05/15/joe-digenova-john-brennan-is-the-mastermind-of-conspiracy-to-frame-donald-trump/
By "message" do you mean the theory that Trump is being framed?

For me, it would be a lot easier to agree that Trump is being framed if he was known to be a person of high virtue, ethics, and morality; known for transparency and honesty in all dealings; a person willing to expose his actions and associations to the disinfecting qualities of sunlight.

However, since he is none of those things, the "He's being framed" theory is low on my list of possibilities.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-17-2019, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Brennan? Or DiGenova?

By "message" do you mean the theory that Trump is being framed?

For me, it would be a lot easier to agree that Trump is being framed if he was known to be a person of high virtue, ethics, and morality; known for transparency and honesty in all dealings; a person willing to expose his actions and associations to the disinfecting qualities of sunlight.

However, since he is none of those things, the "He's being framed" theory is low on my list of possibilities.

Cheers
DD
Brennan is the one..

We'll wait and see about the list of possibilities.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Why are we getting involved in a no win scenario with Iran? What have the elite got to gain?

The Saudis have a very modern well equipped military as do the Israelis thanks to the $billions we have gifted them.

Both countries have bought US arms much to the benefit of the industrial military complex here.

So why cannot they deal with the "situation"?

Iran will fight an asymmetric war which can not be defended against effectively no matter how many bombs you drop.....unless of course you start to look at tactical nukes
on a wide scale.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2 View Post
This guy should be in prison..wait for it..I know..Breitbart is a "right-leaning" outfit, but the message is valid.
No it's not right leaning. It's lunatic fringe/ Alt right/ White Supremacy garbage sight. Digenova is a lunatic fringe conspiracy theorist. When you say right leaning and reference this BS, you insult those of us who are right leaning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: American politics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: