Any idea how to fix streaky/hazy wipers? - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > General Jaguar Forums > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Any idea how to fix streaky/hazy wipers?

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any idea how to fix streaky/hazy wipers?

Old 03-28-2018, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Default Any idea how to fix streaky/hazy wipers?

This is not my video, but I am having a similar issue with my daily drivers that are machine washed:

I have a brand new Honda and the first time I washed it at the machine wash, I immediately noticed that the wipers were very streaky. I suspect it has something to do with the car wash soap/wax leaving a residue. I have another daily driver that is not new and has similar issues, but gets washed at the same place. I tried using RainX washer fluid after the issue became apparent, and it did not help.

Any ideas what is going on here and how I can fix it? I tried using "Invisible Glass" on the exterior of the windshield and it made no difference.

Believe me, my XKR never sees a machine wash and I don't have time to hand wash my daily drivers.

Last edited by amcdonal86; 03-28-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:03 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,307 Posts

amcdonal86, I would first try something like isopropyl alcohol and see if that will strip off the build up. Next, you can go a little stronger with some acetone. Just make sure to apply to a rag and then apply to the window. You don't want these touching the paint on the car.

The final thing I can think of is getting your hands on some 3M Perfect-It III (Stage 2) and some 0000 steel wool. I know what you are thinking, "No F'n way I am rubbing steel wool on my windshield". I was skeptical too. But, after trying it out on some scrap glass, it does work. You put on some of the Perfect-It liquid on the windshield and then using the steel wool, work it into the glass. You will find that this will also remove some of the fine scratches that are in the windshield too. It takes a little bit of elbow grease, but it will pull anything off of the windshield.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thermo For This Useful Post:
LnrB (03-29-2018), XJ8JR (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I might try the IPA. I did find this other video recommending a product called No Touch Glass Stripper. It is pretty annoying that I'd pretty much have to apply this after each car wash to avoid the issue!

Old 03-29-2018, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,082 Times in 824 Posts

Don't forget to clean the wiper blades too; I use vinegar on mine.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,307 Posts

amcdonal86, if you want to try to Perfect It bit, I have some. Come on down and we will give it a try. Besides, the Perfect It works great on everything else on the car (paint, chrome, rims, headlights, etc). I love the product, just a little pricy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thermo For This Useful Post:
amcdonal86 (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

Replace the wiper blades first of all, but don't fit them until after cleaning the windscreen.
Clean the whole windscreen area twice using Autoglym Fast glass by spraying onto the glass in smaller areas and then wipe the glass with clean paper kitchen towel. Don't try and do the whole windscreen in one go.
Work all round the screen in this way and keep using lots of clean paper toweling. I use one whole roll of kitchen towel on cleaning all of the car's windows. This is how I clean my car windows and its quick. The Fast Glass and a roll of paper kitchen towel stay in the car boot/trunk, so if I am out and the screen gets very dirty I can pull over and clean it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Busa For This Useful Post:
yarpos (03-30-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,479 Posts

I have been cleaning our various windshields periodically with alcohol, old cotton diapers, and a healthy portion of elbow grease ever since the late 1970s. I also carefully clean the wiper blade inserts with alcohol occasionally and replace them yearly just before the vehicle is due for its annual safety inspection. Works for me....

Old 03-29-2018, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89 View Post
I have been cleaning our various windshields periodically with alcohol, old cotton diapers, and a healthy portion of elbow grease ever since the late 1970s. I also carefully clean the wiper blade inserts with alcohol occasionally and replace them yearly just before the vehicle is due for its annual safety inspection. Works for me....
Good to know people have their own tried and tested and well used methods.
Likewise I change my wiper blades every spring without fail.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think my point is, the car is 1 month old and has 1500 miles on it. Although there may be some sort of wax buildup, the problem is not that the wiper blades are worn out.

Actually now that I think about it, the first time this occured may have been when I applied Collinite 845 when after I hand washed the car the first time (subsequent washes have been at the machine wash). After I removed as much wax as I could, I quickly hand washed the car again, which may have spread wax onto the windshield.

Hopefully that is the case because I will probably continue washing the car at the machine wash (there is only one chain in my county).