Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > General Jaguar Forums > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies

Old 03-16-2018, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies

I have MC's there is something about getting out in the wind without a cage around you.

I also enjoy getting out on the lake on my party hut pontoon, putting around the lake with my Wife, biker buds and their families, anchor in a nice quite cove fix BBQ and watch the kids and all dive off the upper deck and listen to CW music.

We live on 5 acres so I enjoy mowing, cutting fire wood for the smoker,
I have a small backhoe that I use as much as possible, can always find a reason to dig a hole. LOL

In the Spring and Summer once a month I fire up the smoker and have around 35 or so Bike buds and families over for the weekend, they bring tents, campers and we do poker runs.

I also have a cabinet shop with all the automatic fixings and usually have family or friends that want something made. Wood working is my favorite.
guns and flags

Last edited by macdoesit; 03-17-2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 267 Likes on 197 Posts

I also have a couple bikes and agree there is nothing better then being free of the steel cage. Don't get me wrong I love my Cars but a bike is an experience like nothing else in the world. It's one of those things you either get it or you don't. If you don't it's most likely cause you didn't try. After Bikes I'm into repairing, and building all kinds of Cars, Trucks, Hot Rods, Models, Slotcars, etc. If it's got an engine and wheels I'm in. Here's a few pics of some of my stuff, oh and a picture of the "shop" my boys and I built. I've got about $10,000 in it concrete and all.

Attached Thumbnails Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies-mach1s-3-cars-031.jpg   Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies-mikes-pic-02.jpg   Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies-455.jpg   Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies-f150-003.jpg   Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies-dscn1141.jpg  

Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies-003.jpg  
Old 03-16-2018, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra View Post
I also have a couple bikes and agree there is nothing better then being free of the steel cage. Don't get me wrong I love my Cars but a bike is an experience like nothing else in the world. It's one of those things you either get it or you don't. If you don't it's most likely cause you didn't try. After Bikes I'm into repairing, and building all kinds of Cars, Trucks, Hot Rods, Models, Slotcars, etc. If it's got an engine and wheels I'm in. Here's a few pics of some of my stuff, oh and a picture of the "shop" my boys and I built. I've got about $10,000 in it concrete and all.
Jacoba, those are some nice projects and getting in the wind is awsome, you can't beat working with your hands. That bike is very nice. The primered mustang looks like a72 Boss 302, I think.You are not very far from me, OKC

Last edited by macdoesit; 03-16-2018 at 09:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (03-18-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 395 Likes on 288 Posts

I used to have a boat and enjoyed fishing. But when you have to work and live in the city its hard. There's only 52 weekends a year. The weather doesn't cooperate for at least 26 of them. Then I'd call my friends and family to invite them fishing and everybody always had something they gotta do that weekend. Either that or I did. It was down to six to eight weekends a year and mostly wound up going alone. And not living directly on a lake, I had to be loaded up and on the road by 3am.

Eventually I sold the boat to concentrate on classic cars (a vintage Corvette is the current project, Jaguar is a daily driver). I can work in my garage anytime, regardless of the weather or who comes over to help. Car shows are usually at better hours than the fish keep (I have to get up by 5am to make some of them but I'm up by 5am every day anyway). And there's fewer mosquitoes.

I may get a boat again after I retire. Maybe a house on or near a lake too. Then I can wake up any of 365 days a year, and if the weather is agreeable, call one of my retired buddies and hopefully have a better chance that he's got nothing else that he's absolutely got to do that day. I'm just worried the stock market will crash and I'll be working full-time till the nursing home takes whatever is left.

But for me, one hobby at a time is often more than I can manage.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pdupler View Post
I used to have a boat and enjoyed fishing. But when you have to work and live in the city its hard. There's only 52 weekends a year. The weather doesn't cooperate for at least 26 of them. Then I'd call my friends and family to invite them fishing and everybody always had something they gotta do that weekend. Either that or I did. It was down to six to eight weekends a year and mostly wound up going alone. And not living directly on a lake, I had to be loaded up and on the road by 3am.

Eventually I sold the boat to concentrate on classic cars (a vintage Corvette is the current project, Jaguar is a daily driver). I can work in my garage anytime, regardless of the weather or who comes over to help. Car shows are usually at better hours than the fish keep (I have to get up by 5am to make some of them but I'm up by 5am every day anyway). And there's fewer mosquitoes.

I may get a boat again after I retire. Maybe a house on or near a lake too. Then I can wake up any of 365 days a year, and if the weather is agreeable, call one of my retired buddies and hopefully have a better chance that he's got nothing else that he's absolutely got to do that day. I'm just worried the stock market will crash and I'll be working full-time till the nursing home takes whatever is left.

But for me, one hobby at a time is often more than I can manage.
Thanks for the reply, any hobby is a good hobby.

Last edited by macdoesit; 03-16-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts

My Jaguar isn't old enough to be considered a hobby; it's a car and it's used for everyday purposes. I do however, have a car hobby. Hearkening back to my teen years, I have an affinity for Ford Pintos. My very first car, purchased brand new when I was sixteen, was an orange '74 Pinto Runabout with black interior. That car lost a battle with a Mack truck while in the care of its second owner, but after a 20+ year search, I finally acquired one a couple of years ago that is virtually identical. I also have a '72 Pinto Squire Wagon. Believe it or not, they garner more attention than the Jaguar whenever they are out on the road! Everybody of a certain age, it seems, has a Pinto story of some sort! That hobby led me into becoming the Chief Moderator/Administrator of the Pinto Car Club of America, a position on which I spend much of my otherwise spare time.

I am also a collector of sorts. I've accumulated a vast collection of diecast cars, as well as TV/movie memorabilia over the years.

Music has long been passion of mine and, although I am considered a semi-professional musician because I am employed to play, I personally see it more as a hobby. I own a small collection of acoustic guitars (about a dozen) ranging from my 1969 Yamaha FG-180 (my first guitar from when I was twelve years old) to more recent acquisitions such as a Fender 12-string, a Martin D28, and most recently, a Gibson Hummingbird. There are also other instruments (dobro, mandolin, banjo, autoharp, fiddle, a Wurlitzer electric organ, and a Story & Clark concert baby grand piano).

All in all, my hobbies keep me busy and out of trouble!

Dwayne

Old 03-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 301 Posts

MC's, nature, wildlife, history/heritage, basically the big outdoors.
My partner and I share quite a unique relationship with animals that really defies any known science.

But MC's aren't a hobby, they are a way of life, a life culture and an identity.

89 Jacobra (03-18-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 395 Likes on 288 Posts

My father had a 72 Pinto from about 74 to 80 when it was involved in a bad accident. I have lots of fun Pinto stories of camping trips, tying a Canoe to the top, hitting a bird that went through the grill like potato slicer, accidentally leaving a rifle on the back bumper and driving 10 miles before realizing and finding it was still there, finding an identical Pinto next to ours at the hardware store and getting in the wrong one, rebuilding the engine and hoisting it with my old swing set... Dad sold the wreckage to somebody who planned to use the front end out of it for some sort of hot rod. Sadly, that was the fate of too many Pintos. They used to be one of the most common sights on the road and by the late 80s, they were all gone. I'm glad there are people out there saving a few. I always look forward to seeing Pintos at car shows.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pdupler View Post
My father had a 72 Pinto from about 74 to 80 when it was involved in a bad accident. I have lots of fun Pinto stories of camping trips, tying a Canoe to the top, hitting a bird that went through the grill like potato slicer, accidentally leaving a rifle on the back bumper and driving 10 miles before realizing and finding it was still there, finding an identical Pinto next to ours at the hardware store and getting in the wrong one, rebuilding the engine and hoisting it with my old swing set... Dad sold the wreckage to somebody who planned to use the front end out of it for some sort of hot rod. Sadly, that was the fate of too many Pintos. They used to be one of the most common sights on the road and by the late 80s, they were all gone. I'm glad there are people out there saving a few. I always look forward to seeing Pintos at car shows.

Like I said, pretty much everybody has a Pinto story! It's true; they built 3,000,000 of them 1971-80 and relatively few of them survive today but they do have something of a cult following. The PCCA has some Texas members but, as far as shows go, our strongest showings are in Carlisle PA, Knott's Berry Farm in Calfornia, and there's a Pinto/Maverick annual gathering in Ohio. As a group, we have been invited to participate twice in the Ford Motor Company Employee Car Show in Dearborn, Michigan. After more than forty years, it's finally being realized that they were better cars than people thought. The "exploding on impact" stories have been debunked as negative propaganda perpetuated by the Mother Earth News. They were no more prone to fires after a rear impact than any other small car of the era. Be they ever so humble, I still love my Pintos!

Dwayne

Old 03-17-2018, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Busa View Post
MC's, nature, wildlife, history/heritage, basically the big outdoors.
My partner and I share quite a unique relationship with animals that really defies any known science.

But MC's aren't a hobby, they are a way of life, a life culture and an identity.
The MC is not my way of life,nor my culture or my identity. I ride some but have much greater interest in other things. It is a hobby for me.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dga57 View Post
Like I said, pretty much everybody has a Pinto story! It's true; they built 3,000,000 of them 1971-80 and relatively few of them survive today but they do have something of a cult following. The PCCA has some Texas members but, as far as shows go, our strongest showings are in Carlisle PA, Knott's Berry Farm in Calfornia, and there's a Pinto/Maverick annual gathering in Ohio. As a group, we have been invited to participate twice in the Ford Motor Company Employee Car Show in Dearborn, Michigan. After more than forty years, it's finally being realized that they were better cars than people thought. The "exploding on impact" stories have been debunked as negative propaganda perpetuated by the Mother Earth News. They were no more prone to fires after a rear impact than any other small car of the era. Be they ever so humble, I still love my Pintos!

Dwayne
I knew a girl back in the 70s that had a light blue pinto, I had a 68 Camaro.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by macdoesit View Post
The MC is not my way of life,nor my culture or my identity. I ride some but have much greater interest in other things. It is a hobby for me.
I started riding bikes off road aged 11, my dad was a biker and his dad too. My Dad was also a Director at James and Velocette in the 50s. It runs deep in the family.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

I knew a girl back in the 70s that had a light blue pinto, I had a 68 Camaro.
Actually, I lost my virginity in the back of my slightly older girlfriend's dark green 1973 Pinto Runabout. I've heard many variations of that type of Pinto story too! One of the PCCA's members swore several years ago that she was conceived in the back of a '71 Pinto! They were rockin' little cars (pun intended).

Dwayne

Old 03-17-2018, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Busa View Post
I started riding bikes off road aged 11, my dad was a biker and his dad too. My Dad was also a Director at James and Velocette in the 50s. It runs deep in the family.
Started riding about 10 years ago, rode every chance I got till about 3 years ago, sold it, within 2 months bought another then another and then a trike so now I ride each one at least once maybe twice month for a couple 100 miles.

My first was a SL90 when I was 14 did a lot of trail riding and finally wrapped it around a tree on the trails.

My Dad had a couple HD's sold the last one when he was 77.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Started riding about 10 years ago, rode every chance I got till about 3 years ago, sold it, within 2 months bought another then another and then a trike so now I ride each one at least once maybe twice month for a couple 100 miles.

My first was a SL90 when I was 14 did a lot of trail riding and finally wrapped it around a tree on the trails.

My Dad had a couple HD's sold the last one when he was 77.
My old man rode a 1952 Vincent well into his 70s before he passed away.
Still a ton up boy He grew up in Birmingham during the blitz.
BSA ? Birmingham Small arms. Guns and ammo for the war.

We go to The Ace Cafe on the old London North circular road because to us it is like some kind of hallowed ground. A mate of mine is an original "59 club" member who now rides a gen2 Suzuki Hayabusa.

The way of life revolves around freedom and you understand that.
I think the sensation of freedom when I'm out riding with a group of 25 good mates with no bike smaller than a Fireblade is one of the finest feelings of freedom there is left.

Last edited by Busa; 03-17-2018 at 04:58 PM.
o1xjr (03-18-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 05:07 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

these are all I ride these days

Old 03-17-2018, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 147 Likes on 121 Posts

A 17 year old S-Type may be considered too new to be a hobby...as is a 20 year old pickup truck?

A 1966 Cadillac should qualify, as is restoring '70's Marantz audio gear (yes, I still own an oscilloscope), and have an example of a receiver or amplifier in every room in the house.

Model Railroading is another - New York City subway cars in O-Gauge.

Finally, I collect '60's and '70's cartoons on DVD.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 267 Likes on 197 Posts

Jacoba, those are some nice projects and getting in the wind is awsome, you can't beat working with your hands. That bike is very nice. The primered mustang looks like a72 Boss 302, I think.You are not very far from me, OKC
Hey Mac, Yeah I've been to OKC a couple times in the last year as a matter of fact. Once to get the 71 Lincoln that donated the 460 for the Jacobra! And we were through there to get our Tri Color Collie. Here's a couple pics to show what a Tri Color Collie looks like.
As for the Primered Mustang, it's just a 72 Mach1. (I had 3 of them) It's the car I was fixing to build when I found the Jag XJS. I sold the Mustangs to buy the Jag.

Attached Thumbnails Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies-007.jpg   Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies-008.jpg  
Old 03-18-2018, 01:34 AM
Received 4,536 Likes on 3,451 Posts

The XJ6 is my hobby, motorcycles are the passion. I got out with mates yesterday for a 300 km ride through all the best roads on offer. Two great valley rides and three mountains, all in a loop starting less than 10 km from home.

To top it off round 1 of Moto GP is on tonight!

Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies-1.jpgBesides the Jag, what are your hobbies-2.jpgBesides the Jag, what are your hobbies-3.jpgBesides the Jag, what are your hobbies-4.jpgBesides the Jag, what are your hobbies-5.jpgBesides the Jag, what are your hobbies-7.jpgBesides the Jag, what are your hobbies-8.jpgBesides the Jag, what are your hobbies-9.jpgBesides the Jag, what are your hobbies-10.jpgBesides the Jag, what are your hobbies-11.jpgBesides the Jag, what are your hobbies-12.jpgBesides the Jag, what are your hobbies-13.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 03-18-2018 at 03:11 AM.
Busa (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 08:36 AM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I study military history, ride motorcycles on the street and race track and bicycles.

Busa (03-20-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: