Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies - Page 2 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > General Jaguar Forums > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies

Old 03-21-2018, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,082 Times in 805 Posts

Old car tinkerage in general. I have become the default auto electrician and BMC "expert" in the local car club, which I enjoy as a way of meeting new people.

Do a lot of shooting, mostly handguns. Greatly enjoyed a range day in NZ recently, got to play with some deliciously illegal (in OZ) long guns. Over there the rules treat grown ups as grown ups. Would like to join the local rifle/clay club but home storage requirements make it a royal PITA.

About to start learning how to weld properly, so that should open up a few new horizons. My stepdad was a carpenter (I wont say Chippie, as Elinor tells me that doesnt translate well in the US) and he passed on woodworking basics to me but metal working is limited to cutting, drilling and bending atm.

Last edited by yarpos; 03-21-2018 at 01:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to yarpos For This Useful Post:
LnrB (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 07:41 PM

LEGO.

I'm an avid model maker. Since age has started to affect my eyesight and steadiness of hand, I have rediscovered a favorite pastime of my youth.

Last edited by Joachim1167; 03-22-2018 at 09:04 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joachim1167 For This Useful Post:
89 Jacobra (03-22-2018), Muddydog (09-05-2018), o1xjr (03-22-2018), PBBarb (03-22-2018), Warspite (03-29-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,130 Times in 859 Posts

Were there photos attached? Just seeing '3rd party hosting suspended'?

Old 03-22-2018, 09:13 AM

Fixed. I hope.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joachim1167 For This Useful Post:
Steve M (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 01:21 PM

Looks like I'm going to fit in here pretty well. I haven't started with motorcycles yet, but my husband is currently having his dad's Zundapp restored and we are currently waiting on a couple of vintage bikes (I'm not sure what he actually bought since I know he's been looking at CZ, BSA, Zundapp, etc) to arrive and then I'll take a motorcycle course and that will then be added to the hobbies. I need to learn to ride well before I get the bike I want (I seem to have a thing for vintage BMW, plus they are generally easier to mod for really short people).

I'm also a powerlifter and have done a couple of competitions in it. Placed ok locally, but it's still really just a hobby and my form of exercise. I also ride bicycles (not as much as I should, but the streets around Atlanta have to be chosen carefully for that). I'd eventually like to do another triathlon, but that's a while away most likely.

I also do costuming (not well, but I'm learning). This weekend while my husband is out of town I plan to take over part of the garage and start working on my first set of foam armor (don't want to use a heat gun in the house). I go to DragonCon and have a group I get together with and we do our group costuming thing and are in the parade, etc.

So really nothing that interesting I suppose.

The Following User Says Thank You to PBBarb For This Useful Post:
Busa (03-26-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,130 Times in 859 Posts

Mine's the first one; not so much of a hobby, more of a sentence:

Admiral- former Norfolk Broads hire cruisers

Old 03-22-2018, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Thanked 3,179 Times in 2,500 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Mine's the first one; not so much of a hobby, more of a sentence:

Admiral- former Norfolk Broads hire cruisers
Very nice, Steve, very nice indeed!
It looks like a proper boat!
As we would say where I grew up, "That'll keep you outta the bars (pubs)."
(';')

The Following User Says Thank You to LnrB For This Useful Post:
Steve M (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 04:07 AM

Electronics has always been my hobby and my profession. Since retirement I'm been working on vintage stereo and television equipment.
My main music system is top of the line from Sansui circa 1976. I've completely gone through them replacing all the capacitors and other components.
Two pairs of speakers and two turntables and two cassette decks (cassettes from 1978) I modified with silver switches and a black faceplate to match the other components.

I also rebuilt a Pioneer Spec system the same way for my Brother. sadly he passed right after I finished it for him. So I've got it back again.
I'm building a surround sound system now using a modern pre-amp with 7 vintage Sansui amps from 1978 with Pioneer CS-99A speakers and smaller ones from the same series.
It keeps me busy.

Attached Thumbnails Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies-%24sansui-sp-l700.jpg   Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies-%24sansui-tu-9900-ca-3000-ba-3000.jpg   Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies-%24sansui-sr-717.jpg  
Old 03-23-2018, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 3,179 Times in 2,500 Posts

I haven't seen a Vue meter since I was a wee lass!!
(';')

Old 03-23-2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by rhomanski View Post
Electronics has always been my hobby and my profession. Since retirement I'm been working on vintage stereo and television equipment.
My main music system is top of the line from Sansui circa 1976. I've completely gone through them replacing all the capacitors and other components.
Two pairs of speakers and two turntables and two cassette decks (cassettes from 1978) I modified with silver switches and a black faceplate to match the other components.

I also rebuilt a Pioneer Spec system the same way for my Brother. sadly he passed right after I finished it for him. So I've got it back again.
I'm building a surround sound system now using a modern pre-amp with 7 vintage Sansui amps from 1978 with Pioneer CS-99A speakers and smaller ones from the same series.
It keeps me busy.
I enjoy vintage audio myself. I have a Marantz receiver paired with some vandersteen 2ci speakers, have a modern pro-ject carbon turntable though, haven't found the right vintage one yet... Funny, I have seen some of your posts and have noticed your from Batesville, Ark. I was born in Batesville, and lived in Desha until I was 9yo, thats been many years now, but still have family in Southside area...

Old 03-23-2018, 03:33 PM

That's quite a coincidence considering how small Southside is. They incorporated a couple years ago and are a city in their own right. They put up a sign that says Population 2901. I tell people I'm the one because they wanted to annex me but I said no and they did it anyway. I was going to get annexed by one of them. Just a matter of time.

My parents left here in the mid fifties so I was born in Michigan. We came down every summer to visit all the relatives, or most anyway, you now how feuds get started in families down here. I live right by the Egner-Powell cemetery because it's full of my family. Allen Chapels just down the road from me with my Great Grandfathers old house next to it. I asked a guy that lives next to it if he thought the current owner might let me see it again and he said no no. She's too scared to let anybody in. Too bad. I haven't been in that house since 1974.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:28 PM

Small world sometimes... Your not far from my relatives, they live just off of hwy 167 and Kyler rd... Last name Lusk

Old 03-23-2018, 06:29 PM

I know where your talking about but I haven't met them yet. They've got a road named after them.

Elinor, the vu meters disappeared around 1980 because led's were cheaper. I bought a Fisher system that was discontinued in 1982 that still had them but it's not very good quality. I started out years before led's and calculators came along. I started with tubes. My how times have changed, eh?

The Following User Says Thank You to rhomanski For This Useful Post:
LnrB (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,082 Times in 805 Posts

I have an additional hobby to list. Helping my children move. On the road again tomorrow. I must sell the truck, I am to old for this sh1te.

The Following User Says Thank You to yarpos For This Useful Post:
o1xjr (03-28-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rhomanski View Post

It keeps me busy.

I have one of these which belonged to my grandfather and it sill works well.
He also had 2 ex Lancaster bomber radio sets, he was a radio "ham".

Attached Thumbnails Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies-selena-vega-b206.jpg  
Old 03-24-2018, 06:49 AM

That is gorgeous I love listening to hams. The Lancaster, I'd love to have one of those sets. I had a program about the Dambusters for my old Commodore 64.
I got pretty good at lining up for the drop. Skipping bombs, amazing! I love the flight sims.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:00 AM

I might stand out a bit from the crowd.

Besides the cars, there is sailing my Catalina 25 and cruising Saginaw Bay in the 1957 Glasscraft

then there is attending the Opera in Detroit and Classical music from the DSO and some playing of the violin (chamber music is so much more fun to play than listen to)

Add in "B" grade Sci-Fi movies. Had a chance to invest in the Evil Dead movie franchise too early in my career to have the extra money to spend on it. Had a Dental Assistant working for me who went to high school with Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell. she directed them in the high school play.

Work is still fun after all these years!!

Old 03-28-2018, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler View Post
I enjoy vintage audio myself. I have a Marantz receiver paired with some vandersteen 2ci speakers, have a modern pro-ject carbon turntable though, haven't found the right vintage one yet... Funny, I have seen some of your posts and have noticed your from Batesville, Ark. I was born in Batesville, and lived in Desha until I was 9yo, thats been many years now, but still have family in Southside area...
You may enjoy something like this. classicaudio.com..... For Sale..... Denon DP-62L

That one has sold already but the guy comes up with some decent gear. I have bought several pieces off of him and they were in pretty good shape and worked fine. He goes through them and checks that they work good. He used to just leave them alone if they worked good but now people have convinced him to replace the bulbs with led's and the power supply capacitors with new ones. Personally I change all the capacitors and some of the diodes and the relays minimum. Most time a transistor or two because some have proven to be troublesome over the years.

The Following User Says Thank You to rhomanski For This Useful Post:
TexasTraveler (03-29-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 05:13 PM

I enjoy hunting for obscure operatic arias pressed on 78 RPM discs. Many great voices were recorded on 78, but never on anything newer. The only way to hear some voices. Plus it is fun to listen to the sound the way it was originally recorded. Fortunately, a lot of operatic 78 RPM discs were never played or seldom played so they are still in original or close to new condition when found.

I have 33 RPM records of symphonic orchestras and CD recordings and digital downloads. The 33 RPM records (when kept in pristine condition) still sound the most like you are in the symphonic hall with a live orchestra. Digital music feels like I am watching an animated film. The corners are all rounded off. The fine detail of sound is gone.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler View Post
Just one Marantz unit?
Latest restoration work in progress is a Marantz 4140. That's the quad amp with 4 VU meters, and a rare SQ module, that gives a true delay to the rear speakers (KLH model 5 fronts, and model 17 rears). Rotating a Marantz 2285B for the 4140 when done (I have 9 others to choose from).

Nice to see others here have vintage audio gear here (Marantz, Sansui....I too have kept my turntables (Technics, Dual, Garrard) and cassette decks (Nakamichi MR-1s)....even reel to reel decks.

Timeless, like our Jags.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Besides the Jag, what are your hobbies

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: