best way to negotiate a 2 car purchase? - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > General Jaguar Forums > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

best way to negotiate a 2 car purchase?

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to negotiate a 2 car purchase?

Old 12-04-2018, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Default best way to negotiate a 2 car purchase?

I want to change up the Jag, and get a new RR Velar for the wife. I want to stay within the Jag brand, im thinking a F-Type. whats the best way to negotiate the best deals for both cars? Do I tell the salesman upfront? or work on one, and then when I get to a number I like, spring in the second car? making the deal contingent on having the best price for both cars

Old 12-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

The best way to negotiate a deal is to never deal with a car salespeople directly. Establish a baseline realistic cost, line up your own financing (so you can do it yourself if there are shenanigans), send out requests for all-inclusive quotes to everyone within day's drive around you, then deal with top 3 on price by having them bid against each other. Ignore any and all attempts to get you into dealership until the final price is agreed on.

Also, hurry up, some dealers will offer you a deal at a loss to clear yearly quotas.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Also watch some of Steve Richards videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/jsteverichards) so you recognize when salespeople are trying to take you for a ride.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,988 Times in 1,527 Posts

^^ Sound advice offered above. Do your own due diligence at home and stay out of the dealerships until you are fully informed on what you expect to pay. You will then be negotiating from a position of strength. If you cannot come to acceptable terms, walk away. They will likely contact you a day or two later in an attempt to resume chasing your business. Stay realistic and firm, and keep your emotions in check. Remember that there is always a better deal out there if you search hard enough....

Old 12-05-2018, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

www.truecar.com is also useful in figuring out what you should pay.
You should be able to negotiate 12-16% off msrp.
If you do sign up, you'll immediately get at least 3 local dealers calling and sending emails to you. If there are more dealers around, get to all of them as has been previously stated.

Last edited by Jayt2; 12-05-2018 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-06-2018, 02:00 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,759 Times in 2,343 Posts

carzaddict, if you work for a larger business, look into what their employee benefits are. Where I work, they offer a service that you can tell an online group what you are after (down to options, color, etc) and they will go out, looking for what the car will cost and what they can get it for (they are buying it wholesale supposedly). They tack on a few dollars for the service, but they give you a list of "these are the cars available and they will cost .....". No haggling, no dealing with dealerships, etc. The only time you deal with a dealership is when you walk in to sign the paperwork, by then, the car is paid for and you are simply doing the stuff you can't easily do over the computer.

If you have good self control, I would say to walk into the dealership and look around. Talk with the people there and let them know what you are after. Granted, also come loaded for bear and have a price that you are willing to pay for the car. When you find the vehicle you want, you say "I am willing to pay ......" and give the dealership the price. If they say, "how about this price....", you say "no thank you, have a nice day". Walk away. As long as your price is reasonable, they will normally give you a call a few days later. If you do some looking, you can figure out what the invoice price is on the car and if you add say $500 to $1000 for dealership profit, that should be the most that you pay for a car.

Granted, I am the "crazy one" (as my dealership put it) that found the car online, walked into the dealership, looked the car over and laid a check down in front of them and told them that said car was sold. No test drive, no even sitting in the driver's seat. The price was good and having driven a few XJ's, I knew what the car was going to be like. If it didn't drive nice when I left the lot, it was still under warrantee. It would have gone back. It blew the salesman mind that someone would do that. Granted, in the 3 hours that I was there, 5 more people stopped by congratulating me because they were there to buy the car too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thermo For This Useful Post:
BradXK8 (12-08-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,082 Times in 805 Posts

Woudnt bundle it up at the beginning, get the best deal you can on the main vehicle but dont sign anything , just say that sounds like it would be acceptable then "now , what if I am interested in this as well" bundling gives them more room for games. The above advice re being happy to politely walk away is also good. My wife wont come with me to car dealerships, she thinks I am mean. She just wants the car and is ideal dealer fodder.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yarpos View Post
My wife wont come with me to car dealerships, she thinks I am mean. She just wants the car and is ideal dealer fodder.
Same thing. I always explain to her that car salespeople are consensual sadomasochists, and if they weren't, they would find a more honest way to make living.

The Following User Says Thank You to SinF For This Useful Post:
LnrB (12-07-2018)